There Goes the Neighborhood

Behind the Huge Wall

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 09, 2009 on CBS

5.5
  • There go your viewers.

Note: This review contains some minor spoilers. Not really a big deal unless you haven't yet watched the show and don't want to know anything at all, though if you've DVRed it, you're probably best off just deleting it right now and saving yourself some space and time.

CBS is television's most-watched network. They air some of television's most popular programming including "The Mentalist," "The Amazing Race," "Survivor," "CSI" and many other big name programs. So looking at this, one might rightly ask... what happened?! Who in the world greenlit this nonsense?

This was the premiere episode of the program and it started out with at least a bit of promise. A neighborhood (eight homes) wakes up to find itself surrounded by a giant wall. Pretty dramatic, although they had to know what it was coming. The next big twist comes when they cut off the power. The idea is that it will bring families closer together, though in reality it just seems likely to cause aggravation, given that this is taking place in the summer of Georgia and the heat is getting up past 90 degrees.

The program's "big challenge" involving people wearing muddy clothes getting sprayed down to find numbers. Utterly tedious and boring. Most of the res of the program was taken up by yapping about who was going to be eliminated, followed by the less-than-dramatic elimination ceremony. In a twist to try to keep things fresh, the various families voted for the family that they wanted to *stay*, a show of solidarity.

I won't spoil which family it was that got kicked off the program. The truth is, it doesn't really matter. On the whole, these families utterly failed to make an impact on me and I've already forgotten most of their names. This show seems to have been greeted by a general lack of any interest, and I can see why. I don't give this show long at all and I'm not going to keep watching.
  • Series Premiere

7.2
    In the series premiere of this new CBS reality competition show, we meet 8 families who live in the same neighborhood who get barraccaded from the real world by a huge wall. The families will have to compete together. They will lose electricity, air conditioning, and have to live together and spend time together.

I don't know why all the hate. I mean yeah it wasn't the best show in the world, but it is a reality show about families. I actually like it. I'm not sure if i will really watch each week, sometimes i start shows like this but just lose interest in watching it. But it was a good hour to do at night when theres nothing to do on a summer night.