Thief Forums

FX (ended 2006)

Finally Seeing Thief For What It Is...[Spoilers]

AG19

[1]May 3, 2006
    • level: 9

It took me a few episodes, but I finally understand that Thief was nothing more than a way for FX to not show Cops and 70s Show in that ten o'clock slot. This series although it had a number of promising moments, doesn't hold a candle to the FX greats like The Shield and Niptuck and probably Rescue Me. There are a few reasons for this...and I'll delve into them.

First off, FX execs never gave this show a chance. By only allowing six episodes, we never truly got to feel for any of the characters. The wife dying meant nothing. Izzy dying meant nothing. I felt a slight pang when it's implied Gabo dies at the end of the series, and when Elmo the family man gets arrested...but nothing compared to when Lem got blown away on the Shield. This show had enough in it to last for at least twelve episodes, and if they had stretched this series out a bit, this finale would've been a little better. That said, I blame the FX execs partially for this show only being a filler for the FX great shows.

Next, I blame the writers. I don't see why people are saying the finale was great...in my eyes the finale was an insult to the previous few episodes which truly were great. The finale continued with a bunch of inconsistancies just like the previous episodes had, but while regular episodes are given some room for error, a finale is supposed to be spotless. Before I get into the finale, lets discuss the problems with the regular season episoides. The corrupt cop. What was his point in this series? It was an alternate storyline that I believed would eventually come together with the Nick heist storyline, it never amounted to anything. Izzy, what was the point of his introduction and eventual death? Due to how young the series was, nobody even felt bad for Izzy. The only point I see from him, was that he drove a slightly bigger wedge between Nicky and Tammy which could've been done in a better way. The fence lady...what was the point of her? It seems like all these people were created to serve as target practice for the asian hitman who's name escapes me at the moment. They seem to have been created to make us fear whathisname and his ability.

Now to the problems with the finale...It was meaningless. The rambo FBI guy...pointless. He did nothing in the entire episode that amounted to anything. I understand he was supposed to make it feel like the FBI were on Nick's heels...but he didn't. It seemed like he was just someone to fill the time in between scenes between Nicky, Gabo, Jack, Elmo, Tammy, and Riley. And Riley...jesus. What's with the sudden twist? He seemed like a father figure to Nick all goodhearted and stuff...then the sudden twist? Completely out of character. The girl Jack loved. What was the point of her? If she had turned him in or something...that would've been one thing, but the way it ended was just meaningless. Elmo...why continue on the phone when he knew his cover got blown? He seemed level headed for the most part, yet this was a completely amature and stupid move.

I'm sure that I'm missing some stuff that bothered me, that was the jist of it. Now don't get me wrong, I really liked this series..but it had a lot of flaws. I appreciate that it gave me something to watch on TV, and it was by no means a bad show...but it definately didn't compete with the FX greats.

Something that bothered me...I think it's safe to assume that Nick and the rest of the guys would split the cash evenly. If Nick had 6 mil, then Gabo, Jack, and Elmo had six mil...that equals 24 mil. 24 was stolen total, so what was left for Riley, the delievery guy, and everyone else?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Akritt

[2]May 3, 2006
    • level: 5

First off, we don't know for sure the show has been canceled (even though it probably will). This season finale struck me as a "we might get canceled" episode (which makes your complaints valid) while at the same time leaving the way open for a possible second season. Hense, we don't get some dramatic death for Gabo because he might not be dead.

All your other complaints seem to fall into two categories: set-up and pay-off. We don't know why Vincent did what he did (or even why there was so much focus on him) because the first season is a set-up for him, and if by some chance in hell we get a second season out of this, Vincent will be one amazing villain, but the pay-off has been left up in the air. FBI guy, another set-up (plus, who else was going to play the law here, the cop? Mr. Corrupt that nobody trusts?). The wife and Izzy were pay-off characters, but with no set-up. We see the effects, but their deaths cause no emotion. Yes, they could have been developed more, but there simply wasn't enough time (and do you really want to have seen more Izzy?). Blame FX if you want. Maybe the writers for trying to wrap an entire season into six episodes.

Now if you want to know why people think this show is good: watch the end of "In the Wind" again, where Nick hands over his cash to Riley. The tension is palpable, you're on the edge of your seat, and yet nothing happened (Nick hands over the cash, makes some random threats, Riley drives off). THAT'S good television, getting you that sucked in. Or you could have not gotten sucked in. In that case it's BAD television and you have every right to complain.

One more thing: all the FX greats have multiple, full length seasons under their belts. That's why you love them, because for every rare stinker like "Carnivores" or "Frankinlaura" there are great episodes like "Post Partum" to take the pain away. You can't do that with "Thief".

[Oh and the six mil each, Riley was going to divide up the money after laundering it. With Riley being a snake in the grass, the crew suddenly gets 1/4 of the cash]

Edited on 05/03/2006 12:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

AG19

[3]May 3, 2006

My problem with the hand off was that it was clear that the action scene would come between either the uncle or Vincent, but not with Nick. For me it was just one of those obvious things. I do agree with you though, Thief wasn't given enough time to develop...but due to that fact, it came off as a rushed show with a stangely weak season finale.

Lets say for the sake of arguement, Thief returns. Elmo is going to prison for a looong time. Gabo is borderline dead, but I suppose they can salvage that. Nick is on the run, and keep in mind his identity is probably out there because of whathisname who got arrested so he can't exactly pop up into society. Jack is gone but I suppose he can return. And yeah..they didn't leave themselves much room for a return.

SunsprayHoney

[4]May 3, 2006
    • level: 12
    Based on what you just said it seems like there is a lot of room for return.

AG19

[5]May 3, 2006
    How? The feds have Nick's name and ID...he can't resurface and I'm not too interested in a series about Gabo and Jack.

ydef

[6]May 4, 2006
    • level: 4
    Yeah, one of the things that bothered me a bit was that ep5 ended with the bodies of a cop and asian banger dead in nick's exotic car dealership.

It doesn't take mensa to piece together the importance of questioning the owner of the business where such a showdown crime scene took place.  Especially with a cop having been murdered, you would think that an all point bulletin targeting nick as the quintessential person of interest would have gone out immediately upon discovery, yet episode six didn't give any sense of this at all.

Although the massive corruption and sheer historical incompetence of Louisiana law enforcement could have factored into  play and assumed without much difficulty ... the show hardly made any discernible effort to tie up this loose end.  The heat should have been much closer than it was.

AG19

[7]May 4, 2006
    Yup that's true...I forgot about that one.

alancookie

[8]May 8, 2006
    • level: 3
    "...we never truly got to feel for any of the characters. The wife dying meant nothing. Izzy dying meant nothing..."

I agree with the post about seeing the effects of their deaths on the characters throughout the season. It would be interesting if they were to, by some leap of faith by the network and thief comes back, use this as an opportunity for flashbacks or (as they did the The Shield) have entire episodes that were set in the past. BTW, my wife would sit and read during these because she found this show not as interesting as nip/tuck, the shield or rescue me...but then again, she didn't watch either of those from the beginning and only jumped in on later seasons. I liked how they dropped us into the middle of the things (necessary with only having a short season) and right away we have lots of action/drama...bring back Thief for another season!