Thief Forums

FX (ended 2006)

Love the Show.. Hate the Look.(complaints inside)

crayotic

[1]Apr 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    I realize this is a Thief forum and tv.com isn't the best place for negativity, but I have to get this off my chest anyway:

I just watched the second ep, and it was reigned in a lot more from the hamfisted direction of the Pilot, but it's clear that they're going for an overall slick packaging... which is kind of dissapointing, because the material and Braugher is of much higher calibre (although the dialogue does annoyingly flip flop into cliche time to time).

Early indications seem as though the guy playing Gabo is the weakest actor of the bunch so far as well. Perhaps not weak, but he certainly has a talent for making lines feel plastic around everyone else.

The show has me pretty torn. I like the story, I like where it's going, but the general feel (not plot) of the series conjours flashbacks to cheap action series like V.I.P or Birds Of Prey or Dark Angel (yeah, I said it) or take your pick. I have nothing against looking slick, but Thief is more B-rate than it is Michael Bay-rate.

-Stop with the nasty neon blue/red/green lighting. Reserve it for when you go shoot some scenes in a **** club or something.
    -Stop with uneccessary and lazy intercutting. Give me a damn chance to get into the moment. I don't have Attention Deficit Disorder.

If the show didn't look so cheap and was done a little bit more seriously, this could be an instant classic on my list. But as of now I'm just sitting with my fingers crossed. I can't imagine much of a change of style within 6 or 13 episodes though :/

That's my rant for now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Akritt

[2]Apr 9, 2006
    • level: 5
    crayotic wrote:
    I realize this is a Thief forum and tv.com isn't the best place for negativity, but I have to get this off my chest anyway:

I just watched the second ep, and it was reigned in a lot more from the hamfisted direction of the Pilot, but it's clear that they're going for an overall slick packaging... which is kind of dissapointing, because the material and Braugher is of much higher calibre (although the dialogue does annoyingly flip flop into cliche time to time).

Early indications seem as though the guy playing Gabo is the weakest actor of the bunch so far as well. Perhaps not weak, but he certainly has a talent for making lines feel plastic around everyone else.

The show has me pretty torn. I like the story, I like where it's going, but the general feel (not plot) of the series conjours flashbacks to cheap action series like V.I.P or Birds Of Prey or Dark Angel (yeah, I said it) or take your pick. I have nothing against looking slick, but Thief is more B-rate than it is Michael Bay-rate.

-Stop with the nasty neon blue/red/green lighting. Reserve it for when you go shoot some scenes in a **** club or something.
    -Stop with uneccessary and lazy intercutting. Give me a damn chance to get into the moment. I don't have Attention Deficit Disorder.

If the show didn't look so cheap and was done a little bit more seriously, this could be an instant classic on my list. But as of now I'm just sitting with my fingers crossed. I can't imagine much of a change of style within 6 or 13 episodes though :/

That's my rant for now.

I'm not entirely sure if the guy playing Gabo is a bad actor or if his character simply needs better writing. For these first two episodes he was simply there, everyone else had things to do in the script: complain, kill, die, etc. From the sound of things he'll pick up steam starting next episode.

Hate the lighting too. Tints rarely work well and this show loves the tints.

Intercutting can be good or bad. The jumps from the funeral to Roz's execution: good (considering Roz said she'd "be there in spirit"). The jumps in the opening heist: annoying (five scenes play: the parade, the police station, Nick's heist, Dizzy's hacking, and Bump's police scam).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.