Third Watch Forums

NBC (ended 2005)

Third Watch Season 2 Dvd???

breezy2281

[21]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 19
    thanks pal. i haven't bought any yet
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

breezy2281

[22]Sep 4, 2008
    still no word on season 2?

Mlebaron

[23]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 11

A recent -9/16/08- article on tvshowsondvd.com has mentioned that Warners is currently wrangling with the incredibly high cost of music rights for the second season of Third Watch. It's hard to tell if they're actually doing anything about it, or they just know the music costs are high. Hopefully the studio is working on it though.

Here's the quote:

"we were pleased with sales on Season 1, however, music costs for season 2 are extraordinarily high. We're trying to find a solution for us to release season 2 in the future but there is not a specific date at this time."

Edited on 09/16/2008 7:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

lillyland

[24]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 8
    Mlebaron wrote:

A recent -9/16/08- article on tvshowsondvd.com has mentioned that Warners is currently wrangling with the incredibly high cost of music rights for the second season of Third Watch. It's hard to tell if they're actually doing anything about it, or they just know the music costs are high. Hopefully the studio is working on it though.

Here's the quote:

"we were pleased with sales on Season 1, however, music costs for season 2 are extraordinarily high. We're trying to find a solution for us to release season 2 in the future but there is not a specific date at this time."

This is pretty much what's happening with Cold Case. That show is now going into its 6th season and still no DVDs. As soon as I hear "music rights" issue ~ I know we're in for a long haul.

OTH_TW_lover

[25]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 23
    It stinks that music issues are a problem because it causes some shows to not play really good music because they fear there will be issues when they go to release the dvds. The music of Third Watch was so good and it would be disapointing if they had to change it in order to release the dvds.

breezy2281

[26]Oct 15, 2008
    i agree. that is stupid and is keeping us from getting the show. if they showed it on tv with no issues with the music, how come it is such an issue now? (as with many other shows as well)

Mlebaron

[27]Oct 18, 2008
    • level: 11
    breezy2281 wrote:
    i agree. that is stupid and is keeping us from getting the show. if they showed it on tv with no issues with the music, how come it is such an issue now? (as with many other shows as well)

I honestly don't know all of the ins and outs, but when song rights are purchased for a TV show, there are usually some stipulations like:

1. The song may only be used in the initial broadcast or a certain number of broadcasts.
    2. The song may only be used for a certain period of time.
    3. The song may only be used in Television broadcasts.
    etc...

Also, for a song to be on a DVD, there are other situations that arise, for instance:

1. The number of times an episode is seen cannot be regulated with DVD and online broadcasts, therefore "pay per play" rules can't apply, which probably drives costs higher.
    2. If a song is the title song for a series, but the rights are too expensive for it to be put on all 20-odd episodes in a DVD set, then it may only be on one episode with replacement music on all of the rest.
    3. Also, some bands/artists may have "made it big" since the original broadcast of an episode featuring their music. I don't know how often this effects reruns on broadcast TV, but it has been an issue with TV on DVD. A song by a no-name artist 10 years ago may be 10 times more expensive now that they're famous. Plus there's inflation.

I would hope/think that with new TV shows, the creators negotiate DVD rights for music at the same time they negotiate the broadcast rights, especially when almost every semi-successful new show, regardless of whether it gets canceled, is being released on DVD.

SupermanNYC

[28]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 45
    OTH_TW_lover wrote:
    It stinks that music issues are a problem because it causes some shows to not play really good music because they fear there will be issues when they go to release the dvds. The music of Third Watch was so good and it would be disapointing if they had to change it in order to release the dvds.
    They wouldn't change the music, they just wouldn't release a DVD on that season.

OTH_TW_lover

[29]Oct 21, 2008
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    OTH_TW_lover wrote:
    They wouldn't change the music, they just wouldn't release a DVD on that season.
    As much as I love the music if that was going to be the case then i would rather have them change the music (they have done it for some shows so that they can release the dvd) then to not have the DVD at all. I always have my VCR tapes with all the episodes if i want to listen to the original music from the episode.

breezy2281

[30]Dec 28, 2008
    any new word on season 2?

OTH_TW_lover

[31]Dec 29, 2008
    nothing yet that i know of. I check amazon almost every day and so far nothing. Most of the episodes can be found on youtube so i have been watching them there.

breezy2281

[32]Dec 29, 2008
    ok thanks a lot

breezy2281

[33]Jan 13, 2009
    still no sign?

OTH_TW_lover

[34]Jan 14, 2009
    nope still no sign.

breezy2281

[35]Jan 28, 2009
    any word yet? by the way TW, who is the picture in your banner, that blond girl? is it from a certain show? i've been meaning to ask you

OTH_TW_lover

[36]Feb 1, 2009
    breezy2281 wrote:
    any word yet? by the way TW, who is the picture in your banner, that blond girl? is it from a certain show? i've been meaning to ask you
    Still no word on the DVD. Thats Peyton (Hilary Burton) from One Tree Hill in my signature.

breezy2281

[37]Feb 2, 2009
    oh i knew she looked familiar lol. i hope these stupid dvds come soon

breezy2281

[38]Feb 9, 2009
    just gotta come back every week and check. still no word huh? how disappointing.

OTH_TW_lover

[39]Feb 11, 2009
    haha nope still nothing. I got all excited the other day because i got an email from amazon and i thought it was because i had put my email on the list to be contacted when season 2 comes out but it was just them suggesting something else based on the fact that i have the first season (although i didnt buy it from them). Such a let down. I want all the seasons so bad!

breezy2281

[40]Feb 22, 2009
    lol i know me too! i'm getting ticked off waiting so long. i hope they do release them, that would suck if they didn't. let's start a petition to get them rolling faster LMAO