thirtysomething

Hopeless

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 07, 1991 on ABC

5.9
  • A pivitol episode that was thankfully NOT set at DAA & for me, really set up some tension for the next (final) episode.

I found this to be a very pivitol episode for several reasons. Even though Hope had been fired up about social issues in the past, this was really the first time the reality of it seemed to hit her in the face, and while she certainly displayed an adequate amount of \"white liberal guilt\" it was fascinating to watch her turn that on Michael. She was a total witch to him in the episode and for me, it really set up what was coming in the next episode! I also found it interesting that you never saw Elliot & Nancy leave for California. It\'s like Melissa said \"Did you hear Elliott & Nancy were moving to California?\" and then the next thing you know, in the next episode, they are in California when Michael goes out to see about a job, they have a house, etc. I know Michael & Elliot had a falling out, but come on! That seemed just a little odd to me. Overall though, a great episode. I felt like at times, during this season, the show spent a little too much time focusing on DAA & Michael. It was nice to see something that was strictly home/marriage/personality based, like this episode.