Three Moons Over Milford

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Aug 06, 2006 on ABC Family

7.7
  • just ok

4.6
    This premise of the show is great. The moon is destroyed and it's only a matter of time before it comes crashing to the earth, told through a comedy!

But the follow through was just ok. The creator seemed to want a Gilmore Girls feel with this show. The small town, everyone knows everyone. Even one scene with the mom and daughter had similar traveling music to Gilmore Girls. But the poor acting on everyone's behalf made this show only just ok. I'm hoping that, as with Kyle XY, the acting improves over time.

I'll give this series one more chance before I turn it off. Hopefully the actors will be must better.
  • Had high expectations, but was disappointed after watching it.

I was really looking forward to seeing this, because the previews seemed interesting. After watching the pilot episode, I must admit that I have mixed feelings about it, because I wanted to like it, but I didn't like what I saw.

Though the plot is unique and interesting, I really feel that the writers need to improve on the storyline, and the character development. I'm not saying that this is a bad show, because it's not, and has a lot of potential, but I feel it really needs to improve on the following things to attract the audience to watching it regularly:

a) Can the show please NOT put the same kind of cheery jingle music throughout the whole episode? When someone breaks down and starts crying, we don't want to hear jingles in the background. If it was supposed to be some form of dark humor, it wasn't funny.

b) Please stick to one storyline for one episode, and introduce us to only a few characters at a time, and don't confuse us by introducing unnecessary characters in the beginning. Okay, so the World is coming to an end in the show, that doesn’t mean the show writers should just write random things to the story without any plot. It's one thing to keep the story moving, but another thing to just throw in everything at once. I mean, there were so many things going on in the first episode, I don't even remember half the characters. For example, who was the woman in the store who threw ketchup on herself and what does she have anything to do with the story?!? We meet her, the attorney Mack, the Davis family with Laura, Lydia, Alex, Laura's husband (sorry forgot the name), Mack's mother, and half the town, so it's hard to remember all of them, therefore please don’t introduce them all in one episode. The same goes for the storyline. Some woman throws ketchup on her head and files a lawsuit!, Laura's husband leaves the family, Alex meets an older woman, Lydia does witchcraft and burns the school, Mack's mother sells the house, everyone is obsessed in telling Mack about his old 'friend' Sara Louise, there is a court hearing for Lydia's case, a piece of moon rock falls on Earth, etc. etc. There's just too much going on too fast to appreciate any of it.

c) The storyline seems fine between the characters, but I really feel that some of it was unnecessary in the pilot episode. Who cares about Mack's house or his mother taking a trip? They could have easily avoided this storyline. If they wanted to show something to prove that Mack was a nice guy who does anything to do the right thing, we already saw that when he defended Lydia at court, even though he doesn't like them. I just don't get why it was important to put the whole 'don't sell my mother's house' story in the pilot episode. The same goes for the ‘ketchup lawsuit story’. They should have just stuck to Laura's family.

Anyway, the above are just my thoughts on the pilot episode. I apologize if I sound frustrated, but I had high expectations for the pilot episode, but "Three Moons over Milford" didn't provide a good one.
  • Was Not what I thought It was going to be..

Over all most of the eppisode was funny and say and I will still have to check into a few more eppisodes to get a final feel for it, but the pilot was not what I thought it was going to be.

I had hoped for more about why the moon was the way it was and what had happen during the moon becoming three moons. It would have been nice to see how the people reacted at the moment the moon split into three parts.

Some reviews I have read said they felt that there should have been more panic in the streets and people should have been depressed and more worried that the end of the world was coming. I agree and dis-agree at the same time. In the opening the radio man was quoting time frames for parts of the moon that were suppose to fall to the earth, then he quoted other time frames that differed. So I can understand people not running around screaming the world is ending.

I am hoping that future eppisode will be a little better then this first. One can only hope.
  • Kind of Lifetimey for such a good show idea.

5.9
    Three Moons more or less dissapointed me to no end. Since I'm a teenaged guy, obviously ABC Family has no interest in what I have to say, so when I saw a preview for this show, I though 'hey, maybe this channel has something I'd like to watch for a change'. Then I just so happened to miss the pilot. iTunes later offered it for free, so I picked it up. All I can say is... it's very silly and different. The acting is all pretty much awful to the point where you are wondering whether or not it's on purpose. I mean, I really liked the concept. But the execution was just so average and the characters are all really annoying and stuck up, that I just didn't give a care whether or not that bratty girl at the end got thrown in jail or not. Another problem the show has is deciding whether or not it wants to be interesting, because half the time I was really getting bored with what was going on. I'll need to see more, but so far, it doesn't look promising.
  • eehhh... it's ok...

I wasn't expecting the whole moon split thing to have already happened. I guess it had to go that way for the show to be what they wanted it to be. If the moon broke and we had to watch the world deal with the disaster then the show might have taken a bit more of a dramatic tone.
    The pilot was ok. Nothing too special. I'll watch the next couple of episodes to see if there is improvement or if this is just trying to be Gilmore Girls. It was also pretty predictable.
  • I LOVE this show! It's quirky, funny, and it has an amazing premise!

While the pilot is not the best episode of the series, it IS the beginning of the show, afterall. Thus, we must sit through it, even if it is slow: the exposition is a very important aspect and leads to a better understanding of the story as a whole.

Everyone who thinks there's too much going on, too many characters (the lady w/ the ketchup, for example)...well, I just don't agree. Haven't you heard of filler? Guest stars? Structure/plot? This particular lady is not important, but her storyline provides us with a great example of a "moons thing," AND she introduces us to the diner owner and the lawyer; though we know these two characters because of Laura as well, this woman ties everything together (as do the other guests in this episode).

I feel that the pilot calls for a lot of chaos, as we are being introduced into a newly-chaotic world. No, we do NOT see the world as soon as the moons have been split, but this show probably would not have worked if it had started out from the beginning; we HAD to be thrown in. And who knows? Maybe later, they'll show flashbacks. That could be cool.

As for the acting, I don't see the atrocities some of you are seeing. The girl who plays Lydia, I feel, brings an excellent teen quality to her character: the "tragic" teenager ("I'm going to prison!" My life is over!). And that line...I LOVED the delivery: soft, knowing, and scared-to-death!

And she gets even better as the show goes on. She'll grow; give her time.

Elizabeth McGovern, well, she's a veteran; she's great!

Perhaps you are concerned with Alex's "girlfriend." While the woman that plays her is not top-notch (no, she's no Emily VanCamp, or fill in your own favorite), she has some room to grow, and I think that she DOES grow in the next few episodes, especially when she learns the truth about Alex.

I'm not going to go any further with this. As I've said, I love this show, I think it has some GREAT ideas/potential, and the acting is pretty good--if not spot-on in some places.

And for the love of God, quit talking about Gilmore Girls! Three Moons may be similar in some ways (the campy situations, quirky characters, small town, and upbeat music), but who CARES! Nothing is completely original anymore! This is the mood the creators were going for, and I think it's the only one that works. In my opinion, it is not all that reminiscent of Gilmore Girls; I think it adds just enough and makes enough changes that it stands on its own, withOUT any comparison. Just my thoughts on that. ;-)
  • "Three Moons Over Milford" is about a small town that is very gossipy, and full of interesting people. The show is centered around Laura, a working mom with 2 children: Alex and Lydia. But, their attempts to fit in don't always go as planned.

I thought the Pilot episode was extremely cute and well written. After the first 15 minutes I was hooked. I went straight to downloading it on iTunes. The town atmosphere is so funny! People take the "moons" thing so seriously. How do you not want to watch that? It is a really good idea to have to show centered around a family, though. It gives the show a good sense of direction and focus. I have a strong feeling that this show is here to stay! If you have seen it yet...then I highly recommend seeing it!
  • After an asteroid strike splits the moon into 3 pieces, the world seems to be dealing with impending doom rather calmly, even comically, all things considered. Failed spells, love affairs, zen journeys to discover oneself: many plots/subplots appear.
    7.8
    I was attracted to this series because I like end-of-the-world scenarios anyway, and one which seemed to deal with it in a serio-comic way appealed to me.

Being of a non-traditional religion myself, I also found the daughter's Wiccan spellwork funny especially when the mom insisted "We're Methodist!"

Not sure where the subplot involving the female math genius and the son is going, but it wasn't totally out of the realm of believability.

The husband? What a jerk. I hope Elizabeth McGovern's character divorces him posthaste and gets involved with the hunky lawyer before his ex-high school crush gets her claws into him again.

All told, this pilot was a little slow but considering the amount of exposition which needed to get out of the way, it wasn't too bad. I have high hopes for this series.