Three Moons Over Milford

Pilot

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Aug 06, 2006 on ABC Family

7.7
  • Had high expectations, but was disappointed after watching it.

I was really looking forward to seeing this, because the previews seemed interesting. After watching the pilot episode, I must admit that I have mixed feelings about it, because I wanted to like it, but I didn't like what I saw.

Though the plot is unique and interesting, I really feel that the writers need to improve on the storyline, and the character development. I'm not saying that this is a bad show, because it's not, and has a lot of potential, but I feel it really needs to improve on the following things to attract the audience to watching it regularly:

a) Can the show please NOT put the same kind of cheery jingle music throughout the whole episode? When someone breaks down and starts crying, we don't want to hear jingles in the background. If it was supposed to be some form of dark humor, it wasn't funny.

b) Please stick to one storyline for one episode, and introduce us to only a few characters at a time, and don't confuse us by introducing unnecessary characters in the beginning. Okay, so the World is coming to an end in the show, that doesn’t mean the show writers should just write random things to the story without any plot. It's one thing to keep the story moving, but another thing to just throw in everything at once. I mean, there were so many things going on in the first episode, I don't even remember half the characters. For example, who was the woman in the store who threw ketchup on herself and what does she have anything to do with the story?!? We meet her, the attorney Mack, the Davis family with Laura, Lydia, Alex, Laura's husband (sorry forgot the name), Mack's mother, and half the town, so it's hard to remember all of them, therefore please don’t introduce them all in one episode. The same goes for the storyline. Some woman throws ketchup on her head and files a lawsuit!, Laura's husband leaves the family, Alex meets an older woman, Lydia does witchcraft and burns the school, Mack's mother sells the house, everyone is obsessed in telling Mack about his old 'friend' Sara Louise, there is a court hearing for Lydia's case, a piece of moon rock falls on Earth, etc. etc. There's just too much going on too fast to appreciate any of it.

c) The storyline seems fine between the characters, but I really feel that some of it was unnecessary in the pilot episode. Who cares about Mack's house or his mother taking a trip? They could have easily avoided this storyline. If they wanted to show something to prove that Mack was a nice guy who does anything to do the right thing, we already saw that when he defended Lydia at court, even though he doesn't like them. I just don't get why it was important to put the whole 'don't sell my mother's house' story in the pilot episode. The same goes for the ‘ketchup lawsuit story’. They should have just stuck to Laura's family.

Anyway, the above are just my thoughts on the pilot episode. I apologize if I sound frustrated, but I had high expectations for the pilot episode, but "Three Moons over Milford" didn't provide a good one.