Three Rivers

Ryan's First Day

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 2009 on CBS

• In the first few minutes we meet an eighteen year old girl who needs a double lung transplant and a man in his late 30's who needs a new kidney. Their donor is killed in a crash and turns out to be a victim and a killer causing some procedural problems

Another riveting episode of Three Rivers this week. I'm getting the feeling early on that this may be a little formulaic. Last week they had two successes and lost one patient. This week two successes and lost one patient. Also we met Ryan last week but today was his first day. I guess this is suppose to be a flashback day to when Ryan first started so we could learn a little more about each of the people involved in the story.

So far the transplant surgeons come across as a little smug. Unfortunately I understand that is a by product of doing what they do for a living. Cheating death can give you a swelled head. So I think that confidant, cocky attitude is probably pretty accurate.

I really like Dr. Reed played by Amber Clayton the emergency room doctor who looks like she is a recurring role at this point. Also Ryan played by Christopher J Hanke comes across very well as someone ready to ad lib when he needs too. Alfre Woodard who plays Dr. Sophia Jordan the head of the transplant ward is excellent in her understated role.

In relation to this episode I found all of the patients very like able characters and of course was saddened by the loss of the former football player. There is a certain amount of elation that comes with the return to normal life of a man who has had dialysis for three days a week for the last five years and for a young woman who survived cancer and probably has had trouble breathing most of her life. It was also nice that the donors mother get some closure and maybe can open a new chapter in her life with the young girls recovery.

A very interesting and pretty heavy show. Not something I would watch if you have a penchant for being depressed or take things hard. There are some pretty heavy duty life and death decisions made. Unfortunately this is probably the most likely of all of CBS's shows to get canceled. They like Alex O'Loughlin though and are looking for a vehicle since Moonlight to feature him in. They believe as I do that he can be a major star. We'll see. Thanks for reading...
  • Very little focus.

If possible, this episode was even worse than the premiere episode. And you know, as medical shows go, the premise of this series COULD be a good one.

I found this particular story line to be very "flitty"...if that's a word...but to me, there was no focus on core elements of the premise. Instead of trying to incorporate a bit of everything and everyone into what amounts to 42 minutes of screen time, maybe, because the field of transplantation is so complex and the process usually so extended, maybe the creators and writers could take a deep breath and slow it down a bit. Focus on ONE case and maybe do it over a couple to three episodes. If the idea is to show a scenario from the perspectives of the surgical team (and it IS a team; its NOT just about a surgeon, though I know many surgeons who think it is), the patient, and maybe the donor/donor family...then take the time to do just that. Really show the before, during and after of everyone's process. Sometimes the sequelae is/are more intense than the procedure...and the resulting the stories would be infinitely more powerful in more ways than one.

This field is really intense and if the whole concept were given a better profile via a series like this then maybe there would be several side benefits:

1) a much better and relevant TV show. Goodness knows the acting talent is there. With good material, this cast could truly shine. Just stow some of the "set bling" please!

2) a greater public awareness and appreciation for just what the process is like and how truly hard it is to make "THE decision".

3) a greater public buy-in to the idea; that it need not be so intimidating to sign up as a donor, and in fact, that its actually rewarding to give something of yourself to someone else. 'Cause bottom line?: You're dead. You won't be using the organs, but someone young, or with a family who needs them, could use your gift big-time.

There is a chance to be really inventive here with this series, instead of just churning out another formulaic medical melodrama. It used to be that CBS had the chops to do just that...
  • In a riveting and emotional episode, the Three Rivers doctors struggle to save the lives of an 18-year old in need of new lungs and a patient whose kidneys are failing. Alex O'Loughlin and Kate Moennig were outstanding in this episode.

I liked the first episode but I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. The reasons why this episode was better than the first: 1) The pace was much better--it was less frantic. As a viewer, I was glad to be able to catch a breath and enjoy the scene I was watching before having the next one thrown at me; 2) Because the pace was better, I empathized more strongly with all the characters--the donor's mother, the recipients/patients, and, of course, the doctors; 3) In the first episode, we were TOLD a whole bunch of information. In this episode, we were SHOWN more than we were told. For example, in the first episode, Andy gives out a piece of information about David getting the phone number of a nurse on his first day (that's telling). In this episode, Miranda tells David she's in charge this time and David responds with "Do you know how long I've been waiting to hear you say those words?" That's showing. We're not being told he's a womanizer. We get to see it first hand. Makes for a much stronger story. So to me that's why this episode resonated much more strongly than the first one;

4) Alex O'Loughlin and Kate Moennig shined in this episode. The viewer not only got to see the compassionate and skilled sides to these doctors but their human weaknesses--Miranda Foster's daddy issues and Dr. Andy's heartbreaking denial of his marital problems. That rooftop scene totally ROCKED! So kudos to Carol Barbee for writing this wonderful episode, to Rob Bailey for his masterful direction and to all the cast members, especially Alex O'Loughlin and Kate Moennig, for a job well done. Keep up the great work!

Amy V.