Three's Company

Friends and Lovers (1)

Aired Unknown Sep 18, 1984 on ABC

• Out of character series finale.

I am a huge Three's Company fan, but whenever I see this episode in the TV listings, I head for the hills. There are so many flaws in the way in which the producers ended this great series. First of all, when did swinging Jack become so old fashioned that he would not live with Vicki without getting married first? And Janet, poor Janet. Married to Phillip, a bland schlemiel she met a few weeks ago. Lame. You can see the pain in Joyce Dewitt's expressions as she is forced to read her corny lines. So disrepectful of the producers, especially after DeWitt's so many years of service to the show. She should have married Jack or at least moved in with him, and Three's A Crowd would have lasted longer than its short run. And where are the Ropers and even yes, Chrissy during the wedding? I love the show, but hate the finale. This would the worst way to end a show until Seinfeld completed its run in 1998. The Seinfeld finale still has its moments. I can't say the same about Three's Company.
  • Jack and Vicky Bradford are in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together, despite her father's objections. Janet and Philip Dawson want to get married in the apartment.

I was happy that Janet finally found the love of her life and the same goes for Jack. Vicky was played by Mary Cadorette. Her performance was good, but, it could have been better. Everyone else did their usual wonderful performance. Still, I found it to be a sad episode because I grew up watching it and grew to love the main characters as if they were old friends.