Three's Company

Grandma Jack

Aired Unknown Nov 22, 1983 on ABC

• Larry entered Jack's cookie recipe into a $10,000 contest open only to females. The girls help "Grandma Tripper" fight reverse discrimination by dressing Jack up in a silver wig, granny glasses, satin fuschia dress and high heels to enter the bake-off.

I was 5 years old when "Grandma Jack" originally aired, and it has always been the one "Three's Company" episode I remember. I recently saw it again on cable and was just as enthralled this time as I was 24 years ago! Jack dressing up as Grandma Tripper, fooling Mr. Furley and Larry, hitting on another entrant, a fellow contestant trying to thwart his expert baking techniques and superior recipe, accidentally putting cough drops in the chocolate chip cookies, the contest judge hitting on him, winning the contest but making a last-moment blunder that takes the $10,000 prize just as quickly as it was won...all elements of an endearing story.

How heartwarming to know that this classic show continues to charm. Jack Tripper is truly one of television's most joyful characters.