Threshold Forums

CBS (ended 2005)

Cancelled

Edmonds03

[1]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 9
    Its been cancelled. No word on how many episodes have actually been filmed or how many more will air, but it is being laid to rest.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danawhitaker

[2]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 22
    I *really* wish that people claiming this sort of thing would actually cite sources to back up said claims.

While it wouldn't surprise me, especially after hearing that viewership dropped something like 20% with the move from Friday to Tuesday, I would really like to see official word rather than random speculation.

Edmonds03

[3]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 9
    These came from Dark Horizons and Aint It Cool News.

"Sandwiched between CBS's large ratings winners "Ghost Whisperer" and "Numb3rs" on Friday nights, "Threshold" managed to do decent ratings but was an obvious weak link in the chain. Its move to Tuesdays the other week after a short hiatus resulted in significant drops in audience numbers. Reviews have been tepid as well with a small number of loyal or curious critics, but many agreeing it was the most different and original of the four new shows (the other three being "Invasion", "Surface" and "Supernatural" which will all last out the season).

Today E! Online TV columnist Kristin, who's always very reliable, posted in a message "It's official. My sources confirm to me that Threshold is done. Especially sad given the plans they had to bring on Catherine Bell of JAG". So far nine episodes have aired of the show, no word yet as to how many more will screen or have been produced."

"It is not clear if the show will be removed from the schedule, or if all 12 episodes will be aired. The show's 10th episode, "The Crossing," is scheduled to air Nov. 29."

danawhitaker

[4]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 22
    Ah. The same source I saw yesterday and a site that actually has typos in its stories (and really seemed to be basing its entire article off that original source anyway). I'll keep waiting for official word (i.e. some kind of official press release from CBS or anyone else affiliated with the show itself).

MercyDarkrose

[5]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 2
    Or we could just wait until we tune in and we see ANOTHER Reality TV show in it's place. First Reality TV, now this. I hate when Networks don't realize what a Gem they will be losing.

BUT, they keep Arrested Developement on.. when their ratings are 50-60% LESS than Thresholds. GOD, I hate Basic Cable Networks. FX..Now there is a channel that should pick up Threshold.

Cordata

[6]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 11
    Supposedly today's USA Today has a blurb that the show has been cancelled. Then again, all they might be doing is reporting the story from unofficial sources.

I'm sure it's gone though...

Edit: Yup, it's gone...

phf3947

[7]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 71
    A substantiating story was issued today on zap2it.com.
    Updated to include another announcement: The Futon Critic.

ezealot

[8]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 7
    MercyDarkrose wrote:
    Or we could just wait until we tune in and we see ANOTHER Reality TV show in it's place. First Reality TV, now this. I hate when Networks don't realize what a Gem they will be losing.

BUT, they keep Arrested Developement on.. when their ratings are 50-60% LESS than Thresholds. GOD, I hate Basic Cable Networks. FX..Now there is a channel that should pick up Threshold.

Thought I would just mention that Arrested Development seems as though it will be cancelled as well... they only got a 13 episode order for season 3 and it's ratings are way down this year. I think it will be the end.

It is unfortunate though, shows like Carnivale, Firefly and Threshold can't seem to find a place on network television. I am really losing faith in major network television and have been watching a lot of content on lesser networks like HBO, Showtime and F/X.

archangelcory16

[9]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 32
    Carnivale was never on network television.

It's sad that it's so hard for sci-fi/fantasy to become popular enough to last on network television. The last show to last more than three seasons on network TV (scifi, that is) was The X-Files. That premiered over a decade ago.

LOST is a hit because the sci-fi element is very very small. It has a lot of stuff that appeals to the mass audience. It's dramatic, has lots of action, and is a basically a soap opera set on an island.

If ratings for the current NEW genre shows don't change, it looks like Supernatural, Ghost Whisperer, and POSSIBLY Surface will be returning for a second season. Invasion is gonna have to perform better to get a season two. It better, because I LOVE it.

Night Stalker and Threshold, I'll miss you.

LALivin

[10]Nov 25, 2005
    Edmonds03 wrote:
    Its been cancelled. No word on how many episodes have actually been filmed or how many more will air, but it is being laid to rest.

Probably, BUT according to the Fulton Critic... official word will come next week.

So, everybody get the website (in another thread) and send e-mails to save the show.

danharr

[11]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 45
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Carnivale was never on network television.

It's sad that it's so hard for sci-fi/fantasy to become popular enough to last on network television. The last show to last more than three seasons on network TV (scifi, that is) was The X-Files. That premiered over a decade ago.

LOST is a hit because the sci-fi element is very very small. It has a lot of stuff that appeals to the mass audience. It's dramatic, has lots of action, and is a basically a soap opera set on an island.

If ratings for the current NEW genre shows don't change, it looks like Supernatural, Ghost Whisperer, and POSSIBLY Surface will be returning for a second season. Invasion is gonna have to perform better to get a season two. It better, because I LOVE it.

Night Stalker and Threshold, I'll miss you.

Don't forget Andromeda and st:enterprise hehe

topoopon

[12]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 19
    But then there's "Buffy" which had a long run, and "Charmed", the other Star Treks, and "Invasion" and "Surface" have gotten full season orders. Oooh and I almost forgot my favorite... "Smallville" whose numbers went UP this year on a switch to Thursdays.

I think one of Threshold's problem is CBS. It's the way the network cookie cuts their hit shows, especially the crime/drama ones. I think in a way the higher ups may have pressured Braga and company to produce a certain "type" of show...

What allows a show to jump from network to syndication? Like "Andromeda" or "Baywatch".

Would that be a possibility? I for one DO enjoy this show. Molly (Carla Gugino)is a tough hottie, Ramsey(Dinklage) is hilarious, and Data (Brent Spiner)! I think one of the downfalls of this show, will be that "wrap up the plot by the end of the episode" syndrome, that works in crime dramas, but how is that possible with an alien outbreak... So I have mixed feelings about this cancellation. I will miss "Threshold" but understand why it's going.

EranE

[13]Nov 26, 2005
    • level: 12
    I am genuinely sad...

Why can't they send it off to hiatus and retool the show?
    Change a showrunner? refresh the writing team... God, this is just unfair!!!

Blame here is a two way street and the episodes for a while there did fall into a repetetive and predictable pattern but for God's sake, there was and still is such enormous potential! This isn't 'Sex, Love and Secrets'!

Every year this happens... there's the underdog show that should have gone to such high places but just... didn't.

It's like CBS is hell bent on over compensating this season after cancelling Joan and Amy...

starglimmer05

[14]Nov 26, 2005
    EranE wrote:

Every year this happens... there's the underdog show that should have gone to such high places but just... didn't.

It's like CBS is hell bent on over compensating this season after cancelling Joan and Amy...

So true, so true. Can't forget JAG, either. True, it had many seasons, but if they hadn't ruined it in the last season, it coulda still been on, too.

Milks23

[15]Nov 26, 2005
    • level: 50
    Edmonds03 wrote:

Oh shucks!

Although I expected it, hell I even predited it from the very first episode, I'm still a little sad to see it go.

archangelcory16

[16]Nov 26, 2005
    • level: 32
    Actually, it seems like CBS won't announce it's canceled or not. Sci Fi Wire has a story called Threshold Canceled?. So THEY'RE pretty confused.

JPPT1974

[17]Nov 26, 2005
    • level: 50
    I hope and pray it won't be cancelled.
    They need to put it on a better time slot and night.
    How about Wednesdays at 8:00 pm est?

enigma_project

[18]Nov 26, 2005
    Hey what are the chances of UPN picking up the rest of Threshold's 13 episodes for a trial run before the final decision is made?
    UPN and CBS are owned by the same company (Paramount) and the netlet has screened CBS shows in the past (Re-runs of The Amazing Race and new episodes of Wolf Lake).
    It is desperately in need of some momentun on Tuesdays after the cancellation of Sex, Love & Secrets; and Threshold would probably fit in with their post-Enterprise audience...
    Lets face it, Threshold was watched by a reasonable crowd on Fridays when it screened. A small fraction of that audience would result in a hit for UPN...

laurameyer

[19]Nov 26, 2005
    • level: 58
    this weeks episode pulled by CBS.
    http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|98800|1|,00.html

tvguy8472

[20]Nov 26, 2005
    JPPT1974 wrote:
    I hope and pray it won't be cancelled.
    They need to put it on a better time slot and night.
    How about Wednesdays at 8:00 pm est?

That's not a bad idea. That's about the least competitive timeslot on TV, with no real "hit" on then.