Threshold

The Burning

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 30, 2005 on CBS

• This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service.

This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service. This review has been removed form TV.com due to their inability to provide basic customer service.
  • Exciting episode.

This is a great episode. It starts off with a mental patient escaping from a mental institution, then the Threshold team investigates whether this relates to their mission. It turns out that the mental patient is not what people think he is. This turns out to be a big surprise. Another crew from the naval ship somehow ended up in Ohio and he is the actual person that is causing the problem. This is one very exciting episode, there's a mystery here, the Threshold team uncovers the truth about the mental patient. The detective thing looks really exciting, I'm looking forward to more episodes.
  • The horror of adulthood is having to grow up as a child. The scope of the show broadens this ep. as we find out the alien presence has been her before.

Imagine digging in your backyard and finding an alien. Pretty far out, huh? While I don't think this show will inspire a generation of youth to go get their shovels, I do think it opens a great window of opportunity with the show. By opening up the possiblity the alien presence has been to the earth many times long before the show began, past occurences can now be explained. This broadening of the scope of the show will help to increase the longevity of the series. Even if they begin to understand what is happening now, they will have a lot of way back when to explain.
    I have to say, I don't think they dealt with the mental patient's breaking and entering and essentially kidnapping the lady at the apartment. Granted, the wacked out ship crewman's came in right behind him and could be blamed. However, if the guy was as rational as all that, why didn't he explain that he had left someone tied up in her living room? Other than this rather large plot hole, the show moved very well.
  • The plot thickens which means the show is getting even better.

I love how the show keeps making the alien threat more complicated with each installment. The revelation the aliens have been to Earth before, perhaps even as far back as a century, means that, despite Molly's "we have a plan" assurances, this may be too big for the team to handle.

The plight of the mental patient was quite intriguing. Imagine watching your family die and forced to destory their bodies to save others. Then imagine no one believes you and you spend 26 years locked up for it. What got me was how, when they thought he was insane, everyone on the team (even Molly) was cool to him but once they realized he was telling the truth about aliens,they fell over each other to help him. It does make sense he'd lie to Molly to try to save others and their final scene was quite good.

I enjoy seeing more of the other characters here. I liked Lucas' adding in some humor with trying to deal with his wedding and even asking Baylock to help pick a font. And I was surprised at the scene where Nigel is examing the family's corpses and actually seems on the verge of tears, whether over the mutations or the waste of life and shows he still has some human feelings.

It seems that the fight against the aliens is growing and I look forward to more clues as to their origins and intentions. This is becoming a very cool series and I look forward to more.
  • Moving the plot along....

What this series needs is an underlying plot, cause I can't see it yet. I understand why it would be filmed this way - to allow everyone to watch it even if they missed the early episodes, but now is the time.

We have the new object, there's a decent start, but the crew members seem to act on something new every week without closing old plot lines. This is ideal for a program like Lost, but doesn't suit this program.

Carla (Molly) is doing a decent job holding the cast together, and Brent (Nigel) is a nice addition and really stands out.

This is a keeper....looking forward to the next one :)
  • What makes "Threshold" standout is not only its entertaining factor, but it gives a lot away. Unlike some shows which resort to tease, this one is chockful of ideas; it delivers the goods.

Man, loving this show. Maybe some of its strength might have come from my eliminating of the sleep-inducing "Invasion" from my Watch list. What makes "Threshold" standout is not only its entertaining factor, but it gives a lot away. These are big chunk of pieces they're giving us each week and they're quite satisfying. Some shows might hook viewers with a tease, but a show that deliver the goods should grab more viewers.

The setting moves to a psychiatric facility, where a patient named Richard Tate, broke out. What attracts the Red Team is Tate's drawings of the glass forest. We find out that a mutated human (Novac) has infiltrated the facility and wants something Tate has hidden. What's this thing? It's some shiny object that changes in form. How did Tate acquire this mysterious object? It was dug up by his father in the 70s and the "thing" made his family crazy. Since he was a boy at that time, Richard wasn't infected. But he burned the house to make sure infected family was really dead. Since then, the poor guy have been on meds, even though he was sane all this time.

What we now know:
    1) The mutated humans are getting stronger. They can pass through high-voltage fences.
    2) The aliens have been in Earth before. How long ago? At least, a hundred years back.
    3) The mysterious object, valuable to the aliens, is now in Red Team's possession.
  • If the series continues at this quality, then we could very well have a classic in our hands.

Threshold just keeps getting better. This episode tells us the story of a mental patient who has escaped and may be infected by the aliens.
    The plot gives us plenty of twists and turns, and the characters continue to grow and interact with one another. The episode moves along at a fast pace, but gives us enough story to make it interesting.
    The cast is really coming along and is starting to get really good interacting with one another (and only in the 3rd episode too!). I'm really looking forward to the growing relationships between these people and how they respond to the threat to earth.
    Overall, this episode was very entertaining and did a good job keeping the viewer interested. If the series continues at this quality, then we could very well have a classic in our hands.
  • Beginning to catch the wave of this one.

I liked the plot. The original path takes us to a mental patient in Ohio and the obvious "How could they be exposed so far away?" question.

They get another crew member (for intelligent species, they seem pretty easy to catch) in a chase and zap him with lots of electricity.

What I liked about the plot went beyond the twists and development of the secondary characters. The way that the patient was treated was interesting. When he was a kid who killed his family, he was no better than the gunk you step on at a farm. When the aliens turned out to be real, his treatment changed almost immediately.

Wouldn't it be great if life worked that way?

Great show. Pushing Invasion to the rear of the alien bus.