Thundarr the Barbarian

ABC (ended 1982)

TVvuer69

Thundarr the Barbarian Fan Reviews (4)

• Set 2000 years after the destruction of civilization, Thundarr the Barbarian brought a harder, more adult edge to Staurday morning cartoons.

In 1994, a runaway planet hurtles between the Earth and the Moon, causing widespread damage and destroying civilization as we know it. 2000 years later, a new world filled with mutants, barbarians, wizards and all manner of beasts has been built upon the ruins of the old. It is the world of Thundarr the Barbarian, Princess Ariel and Ookla the Mok, who travel the globe battling evil doers who seek to oppress the ordinary people who struggle to survive.

Clearly influenced by Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian and period comic books, Thundarr the Barbarian was a show that truly surpassed the usual fare of Saturday morning TV. With top notch writing, great animation, strong character design and wonderful background scenes that feature the destroyed ruins of modern civilization, the show set a very high standard.

Thundarr has a look and feel similar to the adult oriented "Heavy Metal" which was released in theaters about time that Thundarr was in production and some modern Japanese anime. Considering the fact that this show was intended for Saturday mornings, it is a truly amazing piece of work. American TV animation did not return to this level of sophistication until Warner Brothers introduced "Batman, The Animated Series" over a decade later.

I give this show high marks. Thundarr the Barbarian only lasted a couple of seasons when it was released but I am sure that it would have lasted much if cable TV were commonplace during that era. I'm surprised that the production company has not revisited the series because I think it could still be a hit. Highly recommended.