ThunderCats Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2012)

Cancellation Threat

RaizenYusuke

[21]Sep 10, 2012
    • level: 28

If CN aired the the show more times there is a chance that it will get more viewers. CN just shows re-runs and movies a lot o the time anyway. Put Thundercats on weekdays in the afternoon block when kids come home from school they could probably get more kid viewers. Back when Toonami was an afternoon block it did great, because of that. They are going to kill though for not getting the ratings they wantedinstead of experimenting with times to see if that has anything to do with it.

Kids aren't idiots. They are capable of watching a show with a long story arc if given the chance. I used to when I was a kid. But I got to see those shows, because they came on afterschool when I could see them or a established Saturday block like the old Fox Kids and Kids WB. It bothers me when I see networks afraid to test cartoons like Thundercast or Symbotic Titan on Friday than move it to Sat morning where the ratings get even lower and cancel it. If they try them on afternoon blocks for a little bit and see if the ratings go up or down they could get a good sense.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

iheartazula

[22]Oct 9, 2012
    • level: 1
    is the show cancelled or not? im so confused..

neoyamato_pi

[23]Oct 13, 2012
    • level: 26

iheartazula wrote:
    is the show cancelled or not? im so confused..

I think it is still up in the air. CN wasn't airing it, but Adult Swim just picked it up. I don't think there's been an official announcement that it was canceled, so there is still hope.

pokemonmonmon

[24]Oct 15, 2012
    • level: 5

if you ask me, i say its getting cancelled. usually whenever cartoonnetwork starts playing around with the airdates of a show, it ends up getting cnacelled or another network picks it up. look at sym biotic titan, generator rex, naruto, yuyu hakusho and yugioh gx. not to mention thundercats wasnt exactly getting fantastic ratings. i would love it if they at least wrapped up the show in the next season in case there was a cancellation threat, but i dont think its gonna come back. i mean its already aired before symbiotic titan whichi think was also cancelled?

deebritts

[25]Oct 28, 2012
    • level: 2
    Very glad that it seems like CN has cancelled it. It should have never been remade in the first place. Now if only CW would hurry the hell up and also cancel Beauty and the Beast after one season and everything should go back to normal.

MajLorne

[26]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 21
    Ok, I'll ask: what didn't you like about this new series? The continuity/serialized format, character building, etc?

kanniballl

[27]Jan 2, 2013
    • level: 18

MajLorne wrote:
    Ok, I'll ask: what didn't you like about this new series? The continuity/serialized format, character building, etc?

I liked it...

But considering the grandparent also mentions "Beauty and the Beast" he probably feels that remakes of classic shows from our childhoods/teenage-years is probably a dumb idea... especially when there are radical differences. And I can't completely fault that feeling: remakes of old shows scream "unoriginal" and sometimes dilute our (rose-colored) memories of them.

While Beauty and the Beast is quite a bad remake, this Thundercats revival was quite solid. It wasn't my favorite cartoon of the decade or anything, but still quite solid.

pokemonmonmon

[28]Jan 28, 2013

kanniballl wrote:

MajLorne wrote:

I liked it...

But considering the grandparent also mentions "Beauty and the Beast" he probably feels that remakes of classic shows from our childhoods/teenage-years is probably a dumb idea... especially when there are radical differences. And I can't completely fault that feeling: remakes of old shows scream "unoriginal" and sometimes dilute our (rose-colored) memories of them.

While Beauty and the Beast is quite a bad remake, this Thundercats revival was quite solid. It wasn't my favorite cartoon of the decade or anything, but still quite solid.

i agree that it was solid but i wasnt a big fan of some the radical changes. one of the big red flags for me was how they changed some ages, relations and took away snarfs ability tot alk. i know people hated him but i loved him!! lol

MajLorne

[29]Feb 15, 2013
    Going by what I read about the 80s show, I can't buy into Lion o being a kid in an adults body. I also think they needed to update the clothes lol, armor > spandex. I think snarf not speaking makes him cute. Not everything needs to speak.

RaizenYusuke

[30]Feb 25, 2013

I never minded Snarf in the original to be honest, but a lot of fans hated him. I understand why took away his ability to speak. I was impressed by how they reinvented Thundercats series, made it their own, and kept classic story elements from the original series.

Thundercatscan easily beupdated and reinvented like Transformers franchise. The 80s series was great and I understand why people don't want it to be reinvented. On the other hand I thinkwhen it is done right a reinvention of a seriescan be great. Thundercats could have easily been a bad repeat of the 80s series. I was worried when the show came out that it would be a bad 80s rehash. What I liked was it introduced its own concepts and expanded thelore of the Thundercats.

pokemonmonmon

[31]Mar 4, 2013

MajLorne wrote:
    Going by what I read about the 80s show, I can't buy into Lion o being a kid in an adults body. I also think they needed to update the clothes lol, armor > spandex. I think snarf not speaking makes him cute. Not everything needs to speak.
    its funny you should say that considering snarf is about the only thing that DOESNT talk in this show. they even have a species made of paper!!!!

mlauzon

[32]Mar 10, 2013
    • level: 8
    Initially planned for 52 episodes, it was confirmed by ThunderCats art-director Dan Norton in early 2013 that the show had been canceled after only one season.

MajLorne

[33]Mar 15, 2013
    Damn I hope there's at least a chance they can do a wrap up movie if the 2nd season is canned. So disappointing to see good shows like this get canceled because of low ratings.

RaizenYusuke

[34]Mar 23, 2013
    I'm not surprised. It's been a year since the first half of season 1 aired. Saturday mornings aren't good times for these action cartoons. If Young Justice and Thundercats stayed on Friday nights they would have gone on longer. I believe ratings for both shows were stronger on Friday nights than on Saturday mornings.