ThunderCats Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2012)

Recipe For Disaster Episode Talkback

DBTrilogy100

[1]May 25, 2012
    • level: 7

Looks like Mumm-Ra's got a powerful "monster of the week" to deal with the ThunderCats this week.

Original Airdate: May 26, 2012

When Mumm-Ra unleashes and merges with a deadly creature, called "the Sycorax", upon the ThunderCats, they must gather ingredients to a magic elixir to stop it! Lion-O is also given romantic advice in regards to Pumyra.

Edited on 05/26/2012 9:21am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DBTrilogy100

[2]May 26, 2012
    • level: 7

We get another "breather episode" this week, this time with the older Cats.

*Back to episode title cards today!

*We begin in Mumm-Ra's Pyramid where are resident villain is concocting another scheme to get rid of the ThunderCats! He asks the Ancient Spirits of Evil to fuse his soul with something...

*We are now at the campfire with the older ThunderCats. Panthro says there are "2 days away from Dog City", where they will regroup with WilyKat, WilyKit and Snarf. Thus making this the 4th episode that those 3 are absent in. Panthro's comment about Lion-O taking Pumyra to get some fire wood was pretty funny, I must admit.

*Yep, the young king is trying his luck at another shot at romance. Pumyra doesn't seem to catch on to Lion-O's intentions. His first method is the ol' flower stand by...but it sprays some purple stuff on her!

*I have to admit, Pumyra's swollen face and Lion's reaction was pretty funny!

*We are now introduced to the New Series version of another race from the Original Series, the Wolos! A merchant by the name of "Ponzy" (I admit, I thought I heard "Fonzy" at first) advertising his elixirs to a crowd. Unfortunately for him, his products appear to be very unreliable.

*Ponzy's mode of transportation is a carriage pulled by a giant caterpillar named "Lucy". She makes vocal sounds similar to the ones Snarf makes (perhaps both their vocal sounds are made by the same person).

*Ponzy now crosses paths with the suped-up Thunder Tank (which the crew has confirmed is called "the Saber Tank"). He offers one of his elixirs when he sees Pumyra's swollen face. Pumyra's doesn't like the idea, but Lion-O holds onto the elixir anyway.

*Sometime after the Wolo Merchant leaves, a giant dinosaur-like creature (which the episode discription calls, a "Sycorax") shows up! Mumm-Ra's voice confirms that his soul has, indeed, fused with this creature!

*The fight against Mumm-Ra/Sycorax was a Crowning Moment of Awesome! To add to the awesomeness, we get to hear the Original Series Opening Theme playing during the fight!

*By luck, the elixir manages to immobilize Mumm-Ra/Sycorax! Cheetara notes that it's only temporary, so they waste no time trying to find Ponzy! The way the Sycorax's eye opened gave me a Jurassic Park vibe.

*The Saber Tank manages to find Ponzy, who thinks they want payback and makes a run for it!

*Eventually, they catch up to him...but all his supplies have been destroyed from the chase! Fortunately, he knows of where they can find the ingredients to make another!

*When setting up another campfire, Ponzy informs Lion-O that he notices his attraction to Pumyra. He offers a love potion to the young king, who pours it into a cup...

*...only for Tygra to drink it! Let's see what happens next.

*"Affectionate Tygra" is one big Crowning Moment of Funny! Calling Panthro a "silly goose" (with Cheetara's reaction) was the cherry on top!

*They eventually find a tree with the necessary ingredients and proceed to gather all of its "leaves". Tygra picking flowers, instead, was pretty funny.

*Lion-O confines to Ponzy about how he doesn't know what else he should try to do. The Wolo Merchant suggests he be himself, but Lion-O notices Lucy eating the ingredients and shouts "No"! Ponzy agree it wasn't a good idea (before catching on to what he meant), was sort of funny.

*Ponzy scolds Lucy for eating the ingredients and she crawls up the tree. Hmm, I think it's fairly obvious as to what is going to happen...

*Ponzy sees there is still a little bit of the ingredients left and just in time for when Mumm-Ra/Sycorax catches up! The Cats (except Tygra) prepare to stall him!

*Ah, a cocoon. I think it's safe to say we all saw it coming.

*Tygra "pulling a Rodney King" to try to stop Mumm-Ra/Sycorax was priceless!

*Lion-O attempts to fightMumm-Ra/Sycorax appear to be catching Pumyra's interest...

*Ponzy's machine gets destroyed! Things aren't looking too good...

*Lucy hatches from her cocoon, is now a butterfly and fightsMumm-Ra/Sycorax! Apparently, eating the ingredients has given Lucy a power-up of the elixir's effects!

*The Sycorax is destroyed and Mumm-Ra (in Crow Form) escapes vowing revenge! I think it would have been better if either Mumm-Ra just send out the Sycorax (rather then merging with it) or if the Sycorax was just a "monster of the week" and Mumm-Ra didn't appear. Well, at least our resident villain has a chance to raise the stakes within the next 3 episodes.

*Ponzy and Lucy bid farewell to the Cats as they set off in the air. Tygra is also back to normal now.

Another fun "breather episode". "Affectionate Tygra" was absolutely hilarious! This episode had a vibe and tone similar to the Original Series. I'm guessing the next 3 episodes are going to be very intense ones. The crew did mention that next week's episode will be "laying down the foundation" and "lead into" the 2 part Season Finale; it sounds like big things are going to go down!

wingsabre

[3]May 26, 2012
    • level: 13
    It was a nice homage to Godzilla vs Mothra. Though it was hilarious, but saw it coming the moment I saw the caterpillar.

RaizenYusuke

[4]May 26, 2012
    • level: 28

No that was a homage to the original. They had the classice theme and Lion-O did all those flips and unleashed the Eye of Thundera, just like in the opeing theme of the original. Mumu-Ra using magic to possess omemonster and send it to destroy thr Cats also classic, and that Exlixarguy issomeone from the original, but I can't remember, ut his face was familar.

I felt embarassed for Lion-O at the begining of the episode when he was trying to win Pumyra's affections. Love potion Tygra was funny incarnate. I loved him when he was love infected. Panthero's if you can't beat it run it over so needs to be spread out on the internet in or something. It was awesome and funny at the same time. Would never have caught the Godzilla reference if I didn't come on here and read the post, so thank you.

Looks like the Lion-O and Pumyra pairing is real now. Not sure if it will go anywhere, especially if Bengali joins the team. I remember the Pumyra and Bengali was a common fan pairing like Lion-O/Cheetara or Tygra/Cheetara. It would be funny in a messed up way if Lion-O lost another love interest to a tiger. At least this pairing is amusing and more build up than The princes' attraction to Cheetara the first half season.

virginia17

[5]May 26, 2012
    • level: 25

Cute seeing Lion-O trying to win over Pumyra, but I suggest he don't get his hopes up (again). What if Bengali shows up and Pumyra falls for him?

Eh, I can't see Lion-O & Pumyra as a couple anyway. I mean, if this Pumyra was more like the old, dull Pumyra from the original series, I could. But this Pumyra is just a bit too...I don't know...violent.

MajLorne

[6]May 27, 2012
    • level: 21
    I would hope for a Lion-O+Pumyra shipper just so they don't go back to Lion-o vs Tygra fight for Cheetara again. I would prefer they leave the current pairings as is. Plus I think it kinda makes sense. Tygra and Pumyra are both aggressive, so I can see how 'opposites attract'. I also have to agree with everyone here about the humor and the godzilla reference/similarity. It's a decent filler that I would rewatch again.

Jemadari

[7]May 27, 2012
    • level: 12

Fermented plant extracts, what can't they do, fertilize plants & veggies,smoothen skin,and stun giant monsters

I really respect Mumm-Ra's psychopathy, the guy gets his derrière handed to him and still he laughs maniacally as though he won

ltcomstella

[8]May 27, 2012
    • level: 18

several homages to the old series as mentioned,

and pumyra finally kissed lion-o on the cheek hopefully won;t be long before she snogs him lol

anyone else notice the name ponzy is a possible reference to the ponzi scheme which is a con by tricking people in to giving money away for something 'useless'

did think the originals suffered from big ass monster of the week and mumra laughing all the time,, but yeah had anerd gasm when lion-o did the acrobatic stuff and blasted away

RaizenYusuke

[9]May 27, 2012

MajLorne wrote:
    I would hope for a Lion-O+Pumyra shipper just so they don't go back to Lion-o vs Tygra fight for Cheetara again. I would prefer they leave the current pairings as is. Plus I think it kinda makes sense. Tygra and Pumyra are both aggressive, so I can see how 'opposites attract'. I also have to agree with everyone here about the humor and the godzilla reference/similarity. It's a decent filler that I would rewatch again.
    I don't think the writers will go back to Tygra/Cheetara/Lion-O triangle. I think if they were they probably would have had Cheetara jealous of the attention Lion-O was giving Pumyra, but she was concerned Pumyra was a little too agressive for Lion-O. She probably doesn't want to see him get his heartbroken again. She feels guilty about the way she went about following Jaga's instructions. If they want to bring a love triangle into te series again they will probably introduce Bengali. He is a white tiger who was commonly paired up with Pumyra in the original series. It would be similar to the love triangle was had going on the first half of this season.

I think the season is almost over, so the romance problems will probably take a backseat for a bit and become the focus in later episodes next season. I could be wrong. I didn't think Cheetara would be with either brother due to their possessive competition for her and was way wrong. I could see some big romantic scene between Lion-O and Pumuyra just because I don't think it will happen lol.

wingsabre

[10]May 29, 2012
    • level: 13
    I think if they ever did introduce Bengali, he would be gay. Reason being, I'm just tired of another love triangle, and in all honesty a white tiger, that's really blue in the original series, all he needs is to have sparkles or wear white pants.

MajLorne

[11]Jun 2, 2012
    Not sure they would need to do that. The character can still be strait, but not 'interested' in the current girls. Otherwise what about PantherO? Why not give him a female companion as well? But I do agree that one love triangle is enough.

antdude

[12]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 27
    MajLorne wrote:
    Not sure they would need to do that. The character can still be strait, but not 'interested' in the current girls. Otherwise what about PantherO? Why not give him a female companion as well? But I do agree that one love triangle is enough.
    Strait?

MajLorne

[14]Jun 5, 2012
    Uh, strait, as in not gay.

ltcomstella

[15]Jun 7, 2012

PANTHRO and straight...

@spelling NAZI

bengali was never involved with pumyra with ITO seires yes the always 'worked to gether but thats it'

infact ITO there where never any relationships...

RaizenYusuke

[16]Jun 7, 2012
    ltcomstella wrote:

PANTHRO and straight...

@spelling NAZI

bengali was never involved with pumyra with ITO seires yes the always 'worked to gether but thats it'

infact ITO there where never any relationships...

True, but Tygra/Cheetara/Lion-O love triangle here is obviously based off fan's pairing. Lion-O and Cheetara team up and or fight in the start of the series, bt towards the end Cheetara and Tygra team ups. Neither was what you would call romantic (or maybe you would I don't know 80s cartoons were never good with romance).Tygra and Lion-O both had a thing for Cheetara here. That's why a few us think Bengail entering the story could spell another love triangle if the writers chose to revive a love triangle.

MajLorne

[17]Jun 10, 2012
    :slaps forehead: My bad. Brian lapse on my part: straight* My apologies for the 'early summer vacation'.

ltcomstella

[18]Jun 14, 2012

MajLorne wrote:
    :slaps forehead: My bad. Brian lapse on my part: straight* My apologies for the 'early summer vacation'.

it's ok just feel there are enough morons out there no need to make more...