TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

ThunderCats Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2012)

The Soul Server Episode Talkback

DBTrilogy100

[1]Jun 1, 2012
    • level: 7

This episode is said to "lay down the foundation" and "lead into" the Two Part Season 1 Finale!

Original Airdate: June 2, 2012

As the ThunderCats search for the next Power Stone, an insane individual, who calls himself the "Soul Server", steals the Books of Omens to further his own goals!

Edited on 06/01/2012 8:10pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DBTrilogy100

[2]Jun 2, 2012

The 3rd to last episode of Season 1 is used to "set up" the Two Part Season Finale!

*We begin the episode at a stormy castle where we see an experiment being performed by...a mechanical Grim Reaper!

*This mechanical Grim Reaper is trying to put the souls of his loved ones into mechanical bodies; sounds like a science-fiction Frankenstein! His voice sounds familiar, but I can't quite tell who, exactly, is voicing him. In any case, his plan doesn't succeed and he wants to find another way...

*The Older Cats have made it back to Dog City reuniting with the Kittens...but the Thunder Tank is in need of repairs! Lion-O is starting to show a resentment towards technology. I knew he was more cautious/careful after seeing the damage it could do in Ancient Spirits of Evil/Omens Part II, but I didn't think he would start to hate it. Perhaps the episode's lesson will be about him seeing technology as not being good or evil?

*Lion-O is soon greeted by an old friend...Jorma The Dog Merchant from The Sword of Omens/Omens Part I! He confirmed that he managed to escape Thundera during its fall and return to his home to set up shop again. He is impressed with the Thunder Tank and offers to look at the Book of Omens, to make sure its working fine. Looks like Cheetara, WilyKat, WilyKit, Snarf and Pumyra will be sitting out the rest of the episode.

*Jorma confirms the Book of Omens is working fine and also introduces Lion-O, Tygra and Panthro to a mechanical bug he created, named "Flicker". He also knows of where to find more technology...

*Jorma takes them to an area where technology is constantly falling from the sky! He also mentions that who ever previously owned this technology has the most advanced on Third Earth! Lion-O also brings up that they have the next Power Stone (as the Book indicated it was up back in Trials of Lion-O Part II).

*Not long after, a group of mechanical beings, called "Necomdroids", appear and steal several technology pieces...including the Book of Omens!

*The Necomdroids return to the mechanical Grim Reaper, who learns that a soul (Jaga) resides within the Book of Omens and decides that its the key to helping his loved ones!

*Jorma recognizes the Necomdroids as the handy work of the mechanized Grim Reaper, who he confirms is the titular "Soul Server", noting that many have seen his work but not the inventor himself. He also tells the Trio that Flicker can tracks the energy readings of the Book of Omens and wishes them luck in retrieving it!

*The Trio and Flicker arrive to the Soul Server's Castle and try to per sway him to return the Book of Omens. But, of course, he refuses and proceeds to tell his tragic tale to them. I think it's safe to say he can be considered an Anti-Villain in the same vain as Mr. Freeze.

*Lion-O and Panthro appear to be leaving, but the Soul Server notes that Tygra is missing. Panthro claims he left out of boredom, but the Soul Server's heat detectors show otherwise, Tygra was using his invisibility.

*The Soul Server decides to test his new invention on the Trio before using it on his loved ones. Lion-O manages to escape, but the same can't be said for the others...

*I'm actually surprised that Tygra was "mechanized"! Panthro at least manages to break free, but the "Mechanized Tygra" is destroying the laboratory! The Soul Server mentions that only a great surge can stop it!

*Flicker can provide that surge, but the Soul Server stops him stating that even though Tygra could be saved, his loved ones would be doomed! Lion-O tells him that his loved ones were already doomed and that he must let them go!

*The Soul Server lets Flicker go and Tygra is saved! The Soul Server's loved ones' souls head upward as well...

*The Soul Server notes that Flicker's programing should have prevented him from sacrificing himself, which makes Lion-O realize it was something else. As expected, Lion-O learns the lesson that technology in it of itself is not good or evil, it depends on the hands its in.

*The Trio (with the Book of Omens back) leave the Soul Server to grief in peace, who sees a (no pun intended) flicker of light come from Flicker...

An excellent episode! It was great to see Jorma again and the Soul Server was an interesting and tragic character! I can see why we had 2 "breather episodes" before this one, as it was a rather dark tale! Now the Two Part Season 1 Finale awaits the next 2 weeks!

MajLorne

[3]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 21
    Not quite sure, but I think the mechanical reaper va is the same one as Ratchet on Transformers Prime. I have to say I like his va in this episode, he did a great job from being menichal and tragic. I hope to see more of him in the future. I guess in a way the 'save the family' bit is overused now to justify the person's actions, but I guess it's standard now. I was kinda missing how it was just the guys fighting and the women and kids were on the sidelines. I have to admit, that was pretty sneaky using Tygra's invisibility to try and grab the book while the others were 'leaving'.

RaizenYusuke

[4]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 28

I was expecting the girls and kittens to come to the rescue not Flicker. Lion-O hate of technology felt out of nowhere to me. Iunderstand it consider all the weapons the Lizard army and Mumuara use against them, but the last few episodes they have been dealingwith magically meances. Solid episode.

ltcomstella

[5]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 18

i'm left feeling totally freaked out by this episode.

no 'females' bummer was hoping for alittle more pumyra lio-o flirting

i also thought of tf prime ratchet voice actor

but isn't much of a stretch as panthro's voice actor is also bulkhead and killawog from green lantern..

as for the ep other than the freakiness

was good but i felt it was a little out of placelike a filler episodeand quite a change from the previous action packed/ hint of emotion and bordeline violence and humour.

and the ending the robo reaper 'fixes' the giga ray bug thing ?

now i dunno if anyone else got this vibe but the necro bots he sent out for scraps they gave me an old school vibe i'm trying to remember the name of the show but i dunno if it was themysterious cities of goldor starbear/sebastian or Laputa: Castle in the Sky lol wow i feel really old now..

antdude

[6]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 28
    Decent episode.

Flashheat

[7]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 13

Perhaps this place in the sky is El Dara?

ltcomstella

[8]Jun 7, 2012

el dara souns to me something akin to hansel and grettel's house made of sweets...

DBTrilogy100

[9]Jun 8, 2012

After some research, I found out that the Soul Server was voiced by Jeffery Combs. So those of you who guessed Ratchet in Transformers: Prime were right on the money! His other notable works include Herbert West from The Re-Animator, Question and (New Batman Adventures) Scarecrow in the DCAU and Professor Hatecraft from Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated.

MajLorne

[10]Jun 10, 2012
    Jeff Combs is becoming one of my favs now, he was great as 'the leader' on the Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes. I enjoy Lance Herkenson playing the Grim Reaper on Avengers and the lieutenant on Legend of Korra. They're closing in on topping Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor as my fav villain voice actors.

ltcomstella

[11]Jun 14, 2012

Lance Herkenson is also voicing general tesler in the tron uprising anime which i gotta say is freaking awesome (but you gotta love tron legacy)

MajLorne

[12]Jul 1, 2012
    I liked the movie, but I just can't see myself being invested into another show. I guess if I get the time I might take a look into it.