ThunderCats Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2012)

Trials of Lion-O Part I Episode Talkback

DBTrilogy100

[1]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 7

Season 1's 3rd 2 Parter is a (condensed) adaptation of one of the most iconic arcs from the Original Series!

Original Airdate: March 31, 2012

In the third Two Parter, a fatal fall takes Lion-O to the Astral Plane, where he learns he'll have to complete trials to win a second chance at Life by facing spirit replicas of his teammates. Lion-O undergoes the first two Trials in Part I.

Edited on 03/30/2012 9:05pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 28
    OMG they are doing the trials. I loved those i the original series.

DBTrilogy100

[3]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 7

Today's episode is Part I of Season 1's 3rd 2 Parter!

*Looks like they are going back to episode title cards again.

*Lion-O doesn't waste any time trying to find the 2nd stone! The Book of Omens says it's up, perhaps it's foreshadowing the Season's 4th 2 parter...

*Lion's words about Tygra doing what he does when he's king are definitely foreshadowing something...

*The teammates are starting to complain about Lion-O's leadership more so then usual. This will definitely cause another division in the fan base...

*So Candy Fruit isn't just something the Berbils plant and grow in this version. Tygra's words to Lion-O came off as unnecessarily harsh to me.

*The Kitten's words to Lion-O have foreshadowing written all over them...

*Lion-O isn't taking all the criticism too well, understandable as he is a teenager and it is all coming at him once. Panthro tells him that he is his own worse enemy.

*Suddenly the General Trio attacks! Is it just me or does Addicus sound slightly different in this episode? In any case, it's easier to tell that Robin Atkin Dowes (Mumm-Ra) is his voice artist.

*Slithe threatens the life of WilyKit indirectly by bringing up Addicus' psychopathic tendencies! Lion-O manages to get back the Claw Shield and say the girl kitten!

*Unfortunately, Addicus pushes him back a few times with Kaynar delivering the finishing push (with a touch of dark humor in true Joker fashion)!

*Not only did Lion-O fall into water at a very large height, but he got crushed by rocks! Tragically, Lion-O has died! Tygra and Cheetara are clearly hurt by this (and should be enough proof for their more vocal dislikers) but try to keep it downplayed due to the Generals' presence.

*Looks like there's a good reason why they call it the "Spirit Stone"! It takes Lion-O to a spiritual realm! The offical descriptions say this is the Astral Plane, which would confirm the Crew of Omens' statement that it was not destroyed in Between Brothers. Yet another hint that Grune could still be around, just trapped...

*Lion-O is greeted by Jaga, who explains that the Spirit Stone has given him a second chance at life, but he must earn it by completing this Spirit Realm's Trials! This reminds me of the Silent Realms from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

*For those unfamiliar with the Original Series, there was a 5 Part Arc where Lion-O had to pass 5 Trials to prove his worth as Lord of the ThunderCats. The first 4 Trials had him face off against his teammates (the Kittens were treated as one Trial) and the last was against Mumm-Ra. Looks like they'll at least adapt the first 4 Trials. I did re-watched the Arc yesterday to prepare for this and the next episode, definetly some of the best episodes from the Original Series!

*Lion-O is first taken to a spirit replica of the slums of Thundera where he is greeted by spirit replicas of WilyKat & WilyKit! "They" confirm that each of the Trials will personify themselves into forms he is familiar with. In the Original Series, Panthro's Trial was the first and the Kittens' was the third. The spirit replica Kittens' greeting statement reminded me that the real Kittens never knew Lion-O visited the slums often.

*The Spirit Replica Kittens create multiple copies of themselves to trick Lion-O; it can definitely still be called "The Trial of Cunning"! They also repeat what the real Kittens said to him earlier and they give him some criticism as well.

*Lion-O ended up pulling the same trick Kaynar did in the previous episode by defeating his opponents with the power of smell! This also the first time in the New Series anyone (besides the Kittens themselves) refereed to the Kittens by name! One Trial down!

*Back in the world of the living, the Cats are being taking away. But before going, WilyKit makes a smiley face with a crown on a rock. Perhaps a tribute to Lion-O or maybe a way to guide him...

*As the captured Cats are being taken through the desert, WilyKit shows the most sorrow at Lion-O's death (no doubt, because he saved her from that fate). Of course, the others are just as sad, but are saving their mourning for later. As Panthro pointed out, Tygra is now the King.

*A group of Lizard Soldiers report to Slithe that they found no sign of Lion-O or the Claw Shield. WilyKit's expression pulled on my heart strings! Speaking of the Lizard Soldiers, I'm wondering when Kaynar and Addicus are going to bring in the Jackal Army and the Monkey Army, like Mumm-Ra planned.

*Lion-O now enters a Spirit Replica of a maze that is reminiscent of the briar patch from Song of the Petalars, where he is greeted by a Spirit Replica of Cheetara, who informs him that he must get to the key in the middle of the maze before she does. Just like in the Original Series, "The Trial of Speed" is Lion-O's 2nd Trial.

*To give him a sporting chance, Spirit Replica Cheetara gives Lion-O a head start...too bad it doesn't do him much good! She even kisses him on the cheek! Looks like Lion-O isn't as cold towards her as he tried to come off as...

*Seeing the bird-like creature flying causes Lion-O to realize what Cheetara (both the real one and the Spirit Replica) meant about an easier way, he found a loophole!

*It's a close match, but Lion-O manages to claim victory!

*Back in the Living World, Slithe plans to execute the new Lord of the ThunderCats who mutters how he'd rather die a king then live a lacky. Naturally, he's to tick off Slithe, but is he also referring to himself?

*Tygra indirectly insults Addicus, who beats him off the ship! Kaynar gleefully joins in! If it hasn't already happened, this will probably cement Kaynar as an Ensemble Dark Horse! But it was all part of a plan for the Kittens to pick the locks! "ThunderCats are on the move, ThunderCats are loose!". Yes, it needed to be said!The Generals decide to retreat as they still have the Sword of Omens!

*The others praise Tygra for his leadership and he decides to give the Generals chase! Both Lion-O and Tygra have their strengths and weaknesses as King. We've seen Tygra's strengths just now, but I get the feeling Part II will show his weakness and he'll understand the pressure his youbger brother has been under.

*Before leaving, WilyKit leaves the same mark as before on a rock, looks like it is a way to guide Lion-O! It looks like they're setting up a bond between Lion-O and WilyKit. Perhaps the sort of bond between cousins or maybe an older brother-younger sister like bond to balance their bonds with their brothers? I'm curious about where they plan to go with this.

*Spirit Replica Cheetara tells Lion-O that he has only completed half of the Trials, leaving the Spirit Replicas of Panthro and Tygra left. So far, it doesn't seem like they'll adapt the 5th Trial, but who knows? Lion-O proceeds to enter the next portal...

An awesome first part of an awesome adaptation of an awesome story arc! I look forward to Part II with a lot of excitement!

RaizenYusuke

[4]Mar 31, 2012

The lesson for this two parter is that the King needs to listen to his subjects and not be rash. That was a lesson the cats were trying to give Lion-O by taking the candy fruit. This reminds me of the old Thundercats when Lion-O learned similar lessons during the first season. It is a good thing that they are bringing in the Thundercats teaching and instill Lion-O lessons.

Wily-Kit took Lion-O's death hard. She seems to have a lot of faith in Lion-O. She is leaving him markers in rocks, certain he survived. The trials themselves are new, but still have traces of the trials from the original series.

readapost

[5]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 14
    I thought was a great episode I liked how it borrowed cues from the original series, also Lion-O now your thinking with portals. Yeah ok that was lame but I wonder if a time will be a factor in this, Because if my thory is correct Lion-O might be gone while years might past in the living world.

VincentMagius

[6]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 8
    readapost wrote:
    I thought was a great episode I liked how it borrowed cues from the original series, also Lion-O now your thinking with portals. Yeah ok that was lame but I wonder if a time will be a factor in this, Because if my thory is correct Lion-O might be gone while years might past in the living world.

Usually, in these scenarios, almost no time passes in the real world. I think it's usually brought up in show.

In this case, since we are seeing two paths, it's happening in pretty much real-time. He might be able to experience more time, but it's not super fast and the spirit gem is keeping him alive.

I'm curious how they will handle the other two trials. Panthro's is kind of obvious. Lion-o will have to face himself in some way. Tygra's is questionable. His seemed to reference Lion-o's temper.

It'll also be interesting to see Tygra's opinion when Lion-o came back. With all his talk of being a better king, here is his chance to prove it. He has the potential, but can he live with the pressure. I'm sure a lot of it was talk since he knows the only way for him to be king is for Lion-o to die.

RaizenYusuke

[7]Apr 1, 2012

I didn't even think to consider that this two parter's B plot could teach Tygra the pressures of being king. That is a brilliant observation you guys made. Tygra and Lion-O friction stems from kingship. Tygra is a critic to Lion-O's methods. I often wonder if he realizes the pressure Lion-O is under. Tygra being king briefly would be a good opportunityfor him toempathize with his younger brother.

Lion-O learning to listen to others and think things through more is good lesson for him. Tygra realizing the pressures of being king and to cut Lion-O some slack is a good lesson for him.If these trials follow the original there should be five. Panthero and Tygra will be in the last two, buta possible fifth trial is more difficult. Mumumra is a possible like in the original, but I think Cladius would be a perfect chose as well. He is someone who has been hard on Lion-O and someone he would want to prove his worth to and thathe can be a great king.

readapost

[8]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 14
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

I didn't even think to consider that this two parter's B plot could teach Tygra the pressures of being king. That is a brilliant observation you guys made. Tygra and Lion-O friction stems from kingship. Tygra is a critic to Lion-O's methods. I often wonder if he realizes the pressure Lion-O is under. Tygra being king briefly would be a good opportunityfor him to empathize with his younger brother.

Lion-O learning to listen to others and think things through more is good lesson for him. Tygra realizing the pressures of being king and to cut Lion-O some slack is a good lesson for him.If these trials follow the original there should be five. Panthero and Tygra will be in the last two, buta possible fifth trial is more difficult. Mumumra is a possible like in the original, but I think Cladius would be a perfect chose as well. He is someone who has been hard on Lion-O and someone he would want to prove his worth to and thathe can be a great king.

While I do think that Tygra will learn about being king, I also think he'll let the power go to his head. Tigers are more the loner type then Lions that live in prides, as for my time thory it could be wrong. I have been wrong before however if it does turn out to be right I called it. By the way RaizenYusake by you guys were you refering to me?

syrusfan

[9]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 38

It is nice to see Lion-O learning some lessons and that the other cats are getting more screentime, the kittens especially. Definitely looking forward to the conclusion.

neoyamato_pi

[10]Apr 6, 2012
    • level: 26

Bringing back the trials was a nice touch. And I can't wait to see how the group will get back the Sword and how Tygra will temporarily lead them.