ThunderCats

The Sword of Omens

Aired Friday 8:30 PM Jul 29, 2011 on Cartoon Network

• The Sword of Omens

The Sword of Omens was a perfect series premiere for the new version of Thundercats and I was pleasantly surprised at how great a job they did on this project. I was skeptical at first as a true fan of the originals but I can honestly say this new version is awesome! The new feel was modern, the characters were slightly different from the originals and the story line altered a little bit but this makes it exciting. This series shows us something the original never really did, the Cat Kingdom in its prime. I also like the rivalry between Tygra and Lion-o. I loved the character and plot development and really look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!
  • A fantastic re-invention and well worth watching by anyone who loved the original.

If expecting something close to the original, ditch that idea straight away. This is set millenia after the original and pays tribute to it early on during a training duel between Lion-0 and his father (voiced by the original Lion-0 ). All the technology that made the original Thundercats superior to the mutants has gone and they've devolved to a degree into a medieval society. We see that the mutants have become a war-like underclass in the time since the original. Lion-O is now a dreaming prince who has yet to live up to the expectations of him. Tygra is now his adoptive brother and superior to him in most areas. Cheetarah is a mystic bodyguard to the sword of omens and student of Jaga.

When we finally get to meet Mumm-ra, he's a powerful sorceror in his mummy form and manages to kill the king. There's so much to appear that's its going to be interesting to see where they take this series.

I can only hope that CN really invest in this series and follow it on beyond the traditional 26 episodes. This has the potential, through the love and respect shown for the original source material, to beat Ben 10 off the top cartoon slot and become a classic again.