Thundercats Forums

(ended 1989)

Live Action?

SupermanNYC

[1]Jun 10, 2006
    • level: 45
    Do anyone know if they will or will be planning a live action (big Screen) Movie about this great Cartoon? I see they are doing a Voltron movie and a Transformers Movie, so why not this one. In addtion to this, they are making another H-man movie as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Im2Crazy4U

[2]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 51
    I've not heard anything about a live action movie for this show. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I haven't heard of it. Given that there's nothing in IMDb about such a movie, I highly doubt there's even remote rumours about any such movie either.

Streeca

[3]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 15
    I doubt it'll happen, but i sure wish it did. Hey, whom would you cast for each of the roles?

CodeofThundera

[4]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 18

Is Transformers live action?  Even if it is, the Transformers themselves would have to be CGI, so they'll be animated.  It would be a mixture of animation and live action which could work since besides the transformers, the characters are human.  I don't see why they can't make it an animated movie though.  Stick to the original concept - animation.

I am SOOOOOO against turning ThunderCats into a live action movie.  I just don't think it's possible to get real actors to look good being made up like ThunderCats.  It would look corny if they tried.  The ThunderCats will only look good animated and if you try to CGI them in a real world, again I think it would look corny.  It looked corny to me in Star Wars 3 when they CGI'd Dooku into doing that flip off the balcony before his fight with Anakin and Obi Wan, and they'd be doing stuff like that all the time with CGI ThunderCats.

No, if they even try to make a ThunderCats movie, they should make it animated.

But I'm against it because the way these things go, they'll probably make it dark and appealing to adults and totally destroy the concept and morals of the tv show.  Not all of us want to see dark ThunderCats.

Streeca

[5]Jul 25, 2006
    Well, shows like Voyage of the Unicorn proved that you can create live action movies with humanoid characters, using a combination of make-up and CGI. The darkening is a good point, though: i'd hate to see ThunderCats adultified. If i ever see Cheetara asking Tygra whether he thinks she gained weight or something - that'll be the coup de grace to my innosence, heh.

But still, just for fun, let's think of actors, or other famous people, whom we'd cast for the roles, in a purrfect world where live action ThunderCats could be made without ruining the concept. :=} I think it'd make a cool game.

CodeofThundera

[6]Jul 29, 2006
    • level: 18

How about casting live actors and using as many of the original actors as we can to do voice overs?!

It's kind of hard to think of actors who would be as muscular as the ThunderCats and who would look right in that kind of make-up. :p

fscatcher

[7]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 1
    I really hope they're not going to do a live action Thudercats movie. Given how they've screwed up the Transformers movie, and how likely it is that Thundercats would get a sililar treatment, I don't want to see that happen.

magicmo

[8]Jun 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    Well, it's official apparently. Live action movie on the way.

SupermanNYC

[9]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 45
    Wow, I've posted this question just about a year ago. June 10th of 2006 to be exact and the answer to my question has came true. They will be making it after all. Thanks Warner Brothers!

mobbs456

[10]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 16

Yah a Thundercats Movie!

Sir Ian Mckellen as Jaga and Hugh Jackman as Panthro.

not sure about the rest... any thoughts?

sh811a

[11]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 28

I actually envisioned myself though I highly doubt I'm accurate because I have a feeling most of the film might feature unknown or minor league actors and actresses (which is a good thing sometimes when it comes to films based off a visual medium). But still it's fun to think that an A list cast could play the roles, most likely at least one might be accurate.

I agree with your choice on Sir Ian Mckellen to be Jaga, Ian always had that heavy sense of wisdom and experence with a few of the characters he's played.

I don't agree with your choice on Hugh Jackman playing Panthro, I think he could most likely play Tygra.

The person I thought could play Panthro is Wesley Snipes.

This is the one I hope makes it, I hope is cast as this character,Lucy Lawlessas Chetara. I don't see why not if you've seen her in Xena: Warrior Princess I think she fits right.

I can only think of one person that could play two of the bad guys.

Andy Sherkis as Slythe, he was the one that played mainly believable CGI creature like Golem and King Kong. I don't see why he can't play both physically and voice act the dumb as bricks leader of the Mutants.

Angus Scrumm as Mum-Ra, if you ever saw the film Phantasm as The Tall Man he was a movie monster that could give any person of any age nightmares, I could see him do may'be a voice for Mum-Ra

Well those are my picks on some characters, I just hope that if the Transformers movie works then may'be it will not just be a good sign that this live action version might work but also that it will be remotely made.

mobbs456

[12]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 16

ooh Hugh Jackman as Tygra - even better thought!

why not Sarah Michelle Gellar or Eliza Dusku as Cheetara?

what about Jake what-ever-his-name-is-from-Brokeback Mountain to play Lion-o?

sh811a

[13]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 28

Actually Sarah Michelle Gellar was my second choice to play Chetarah.

Jake Ghyllenhal might make a pritty good Lion-O when I think about it, good choice.

Alzatia

[14]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 9
    Theyre actually making a live action film for this show? >.> Im kind of skeptical about a Thundercats live action film, I love this show,and having it ruined in the big screen would totally suck. -.- Hope they don't screw it up.

And on the transformers movie,it wasn't that bad,but then again I never saw all episodes of G1,and what I saw I saw when I was like 4 xD But Thundercats...I grew up watching that so seeing a big part of my childhood deystroyed by a craptacular movie isnt really pleasant. >.>

p4poetic

[15]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 9
    sh811a wrote:

I actually envisioned myself though I highly doubt I'm accurate because I have a feeling most of the film might feature unknown or minor league actors and actresses (which is a good thing sometimes when it comes to films based off a visual medium). But still it's fun to think that an A list cast could play the roles, most likely at least one might be accurate.

I agree with your choice on Sir Ian Mckellen to be Jaga, Ian always had that heavy sense of wisdom and experence with a few of the characters he's played.

I don't agree with your choice on Hugh Jackman playing Panthro, I think he could most likely play Tygra.

The person I thought could play Panthro is Wesley Snipes.

This is the one I hope makes it, I hope is cast as this character,Lucy Lawlessas Chetara. I don't see why not if you've seen her in Xena: Warrior Princess I think she fits right.

I can only think of one person that could play two of the bad guys.

Andy Sherkis as Slythe, he was the one that played mainly believable CGI creature like Golem and King Kong. I don't see why he can't play both physically and voice act the dumb as bricks leader of the Mutants.

Angus Scrumm as Mum-Ra, if you ever saw the film Phantasm as The Tall Man he was a movie monster that could give any person of any age nightmares, I could see him do may'be a voice for Mum-Ra

Well those are my picks on some characters, I just hope that if the Transformers movie works then may'be it will not just be a good sign that this live action version might work but also that it will be remotely made.

Any reason to see Lucy Lawless in a movie is fine with me.

Stytch

[16]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 7

lol

Micheal Clarke Ducan as Panthro

and the movie is going to be CGI =*(

davsul

[17]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    I think they are planning a movie but no one has been cast yet. There was a story about it in the last ToyFare magazine. They had an interview with the guy who did Lion-O's voice.

Streeca

[18]Feb 8, 2008
    Christopher Judge as Panthro.
    AnnaSophia Robb as WilyKit.

davsul

[19]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    I read in the latest ToyFare magazine that they are planning a CGI movie of Thundercats!

GavinGibbons

[20]May 12, 2008
    • level: 29
    i cant remember were i heard it but thundercats live action movie was given a 2010 greenlight