Thundercats Forums

(ended 1989)

Spelling of the Wily's

Im2Crazy4U

[1]Jun 27, 2006
    • level: 51
    After thinking about it for a while, and based on the official creator's website, all references are to be "Wilykit" and "Wilykat" (lower case k) and no other way.

If you see them wrong in the guide, please submit changes and I will accept them. I have found many of them, but there is no easy way to find them all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CodeofThundera

[2]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 18

I was thinking about something in regards to the ThunderKittens the other day.

Wilykit is the girl.  Wilykat is the boy.  But if you take those names Kit and Kat, Kit is more of a boy name.  For example Kit Carson.  If I've ever heard of someone named Kit, it's always been someone who is male.  And Kat is more of a girl's name, typically a nickname for Katherine.  Whenever I've heard of someone named Kat, it has always been someone who is female.

So you might think that Wilykit should be the boy and Wilykat should be the girl.  Although having grown up with this cartoon I don't make that mistake, I think girl when I hear the name Wilykit and boy when I hear the name Wilykat.  But in the real world, it seems like they should be opposite.

Just some random thoughts.  I think if I had been a part of the creation and design of this cartoon back in the 80's (would have been rather hard considering I was so young) I would have chosen Wilykit as the boy and Wilykat as the girl.

CodeofThundera

[3]Jul 16, 2006

Also, speaking of spelling, I've seen the reptilian mutant often being spelled Slythe.  However, if you watch the DVD's closed captioning, they spell it Slithe.

Im2Crazy4U

[4]Jul 16, 2006
    CodeofThundera wrote:

Also, speaking of spelling, I've seen the reptilian mutant often being spelled Slythe. However, if you watch the DVD's closed captioning, they spell it Slithe.

According to the offical site, it is "S-S-Slithe" - but I would accept Slithe. I've already gone through all the episodes once to change a ton of names. If you notice the Slythe spelling, feel free to correct them.

As for the Kit versus Kat name. I've only ever heard of girls name Kit and never heard of anyone named Kat (but that's just where I live).

Think of it like this:
    Kat = cat = boy
    Kit = kitten = girl

Where the meaning is that Kat came first (do they even ever mention which twin came out first?).

CodeofThundera

[5]Jul 16, 2006
    I've never heard of any reference to the which ThunderKitten was older.  I don't ever recall their parents being mentioned which seems a bit strange to me.  The ThunderKittens were ThunderCat Nobles, thus why they were on board the flag ship.  Why weren't their parents aboard too as they would have been ThunderCat nobles as well.

Im2Crazy4U

[6]Jul 16, 2006
    CodeofThundera wrote:
    Why weren't their parents aboard too as they would have been ThunderCat nobles as well.

Perhaps they were born by the stork.

CodeofThundera

[7]Jul 16, 2006
    It's funny how a lot of things I never thought about when I was a kid watching the show, I think about now.  Like the ThunderKittens parents.  What about Lion-O's mom?  Mumm-Ra's background.  If the they didn't need clothes on Thundera and our main heroes were all naked leaving the planet, why were Lynx-O, Pumyra, and Bengali wearing clothes as they tried to flee from Thundera?  Since Wilykat was so eager to grow up, why did he never try to use the cave of time?  I still totally love the show, but when I watch it I often have these kinds of questions come to mind.

Im2Crazy4U

[8]Jul 17, 2006
    It's best not to ask these kinds of questions they can hurt your head.

CodeofThundera

[9]Jul 17, 2006

How about the question - How do Berbils reproduce if they're machines?  Actually, I kind of wonder that about SilverHawks as well.

Im2Crazy4U

[10]Jul 18, 2006
    CodeofThundera wrote:
    How do Berbils reproduce if they're machines?

Proabably self-replicating machines. They make a new one.

Streeca

[11]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 15
    These are just my guesses, ofcourse:

CodeofThundera wrote:
    Like the ThunderKittens parents.
    What about Lion-O's mom?
    Maybe they were already deseased by the time the exodus began? Probbaly long enough for the kittens to mostly get over ot, so it doesn't interfere with their jumpy cheerfulness.

CodeofThundera wrote:
    Mumm-Ra's background.
    I think he's a constant, a metaphisical force of evil. As he says himself: "As long as there is evil in the world - Mumm-Ra lives."
    Then again, maybe that's just megalomania on his part. Him being a mummy and all, would imply he was once a relatively normal, mortal creature before his death, mumificationa dn burial. We could generally use more info on Third Earth's hostory, i suppose.

CodeofThundera wrote:
    If the they didn't need clothes on Thundera and our main heroes were all naked leaving the planet, why were Lynx-O, Pumyra, and Bengali wearing clothes as they tried to flee from Thundera?

They didn't need clothes, but some obviously chose to wear them - whether as a status symbol, for looks, or for any other reason. Kinda like Robert Heinlein's idea of a perfect society. Notice that Jaga wears clothes while piloting the flag ship before his death, as well as in Cheetara's vision, where both Grune and he are wearing clothes, eventhough they're on Thunderra. Clothes were probably also worn on any official event, since you gotta stick that ThunderCats emblem to something, right? :=}

CodeofThundera wrote:
    Since Wilykat was so eager to grow up, why did he never try to use the cave of time?
    Meow, didn't see that episode yet. I'll see if i have any insights/excuses after i do.

silvershadow137

[12]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 2
    Why didnt the thunderkittens age as much as lion-o. in the beginning, they looked the same age as lion-o. yet when they emerge out of the pods, lion-o is an adult and they are still children. wtf?

charley28

[13]Dec 20, 2007
    • level: 66
    Because Lion-O's escape pod was damaged when they landed.