Thundercats

Lion-O's Anointment Final Day: The Trial of Evil

Aired Daily 5:00 PM Dec 16, 1985 on

• Final Round

It's the moment of truth when Lion-O participates in his final test which is to defeat his greatest foe, Mum-Ra. What I liked about this episode is we got to see more of Mum-Ra's fortress mainly the underground passageway which lead to a cat god, by what the cat god says it gives you a little sense of history to the fortress. Then Lion-O has to go river rafting in a underground river in more of the underground that looks a little like Hell. This part was obviously loosely inspired by the Ferryman myth or a bit of Dante's inferno. But he fights demons and other nasties then finally gets to Mum-Ra. I'll admit I wish that the confrontation between the two was a little longer, I would have loved to see Lion-O and Mum-Ra utilze just a bit more fistacuff action. But oh well it worked out well all the same, we saw Lion-O for once not use his Sword of Omens and Power Claw, instead he used his fists, feet, and wits to win, it may have been harder for him but it made him stronger. I felt that was part of the morality of this story, it just goes to show you don't always need weapons to win by nature their really just tools, you can use whatever abilitys and courage is inside you because they are all the weapons you really need. What we saw wasn't just a physical battle but it was a spiritual battle. And other than that creepy twist ending, we saw that Lion-O hard work all paid off in the end, he prove that he is not just Lord of the Thundercats but that he's a man.