Time Squad

Floral Patton / Orphan Substitute

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 26, 2003 on Cartoon Network

• Luke Warm Finale

I love this series, I love the writing, the story, the characters, the plot- this show got so good during the second season and knowing that it was supposed to have a third, it's such a bummer that it was canned way before its time. Floral Patton is good, it's a straight forward episode that kept to the "Time Squad" formula- Otto manages to talk the historical figure into doing what the person was supposed to do. Larry is effeminate and doesn't want to play rough. Tuddrussel wants to kick the crap out of somebody and ends up being someone's chew toy. All around, it was a fair 3 out of 5. Wasn't bad, wasn't spectacular, it's just good.

Orphan Substitute on the other hand, is a base breaker. Some people like it a lot. But a lot of fans, including my self, do not care for this episode in how Otto is treated. The story itself isn't bad. It had a lot of good things about it. Like Otto's scrapbook and testing Otto's and Tuddrussel's relationship and of course George W. Bush. Those were all very good ideas. But the thing is, Tuddrussel is a huge jerk, to the point where it's not even funny anymore. And Tuddrussel never really sees the error of his ways in doing what he did to Otto and Sister Thornly never gets her comeuppance. I give this 3 out of 5. It's not a terrible episode, it obviously had a story it wanted to tell, but I highly suspect that because of the timing (9/11) something was taken out. If feels like something is missing, what? Oh who knows, but this episode is bitter and cruel at points because of that missing link. But on the other hand, Orphan Substitute tried to explore new territory for the show, it plays out like it was going to be serious, and in a way in succeeds. But it's just not the episode that stood for what Time Squad had eventually became to be about.