Tin Man

Syfy (Mini-Series 2007)

walrus_8463

Tin Man Fan Reviews (45)

• Very imaginative interpretation of a classic.

And one that was not offensive, which is a common complaint on remakes. Too bad it took CTV (via its daughter network SPACE) two years of letting the series collect dust in its vaults before it finally aired in Canada.

I thought it was well cast and both the setting and the characterizations were all relatively easy to invest in, with one exception. And unfortunately, I found that exception to be the lead role of "DG", less than admirably portrayed by Zooey Deschanel.

She obviously showed up to set because there she is on film, but she most decidedly left her spirit at home.

The good news is that every other key role was done on an "A game" level, particularly "Cain" (Neal McDonough) and "Glitch" (Alan Cumming). Kathleen Roberston was quite convincing as well as the good-sister-gone-bad, while Callum Keith Rennie (Due South) was barely recognizable to me! Had I not seen the credits I would never have known it was him. Great make up and costuming on this series as well...

All in all, an entertaining romp and a good bit of escapism. And thats what it set out to be, so: mission accomplished.