Tin Man

Tin Man

Aired Weekdays 9:00 PM Dec 04, 2007 on Syfy

• What a surprising little gem. Despite my initial reservation 'Tin Man' kept me enthralled from start to finish.

When I first heard about this miniseries i actually had a chuckle to myself. I thought, oh no what are they doing? Why are they messing around with one of cinema's finest achievements? I thought this can only end in embarrassment. But i was wrong. 'Tin Man' has done everything it set out to do. It took the raw ingredients of 'The Wizard of Oz' and turned it into an original, well crafted and contemporary sci-fi adventure that took the viewer on a long and winding journey of discovery through a mystical and dangerous land, which ends with the destruction of the wicked witch and the restoration of goodness and hope to O.Z. The ending wasn't great, but to be honest I didn't really care because along the way I was spellbound by the characters, their intertwining story-lines and the beautiful way in which the original story ran side by side with the modern one.

I urge anyone who hasn't seen this to watch it and marvel at what dynamic and brave story writing can achieve, something I'm afraid is sadly missing in a number of today's so called "hit" shows.