TNA Pay-Per-View Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on In Season

Interviews

telvisnostic

[61]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 52

"We're in a great position right now," Roode told the "Between The Ropes" radio show. "We're part of Fortune. We're rolling with Ric Flair every week. If you would have asked me two years ago that I'd be standing in the ring with Ric Flair I would have said you're crazy."

Over the past few years, Roode and Storm have won the TNA World Tag Team Titles multiple times and are known for having good if not great matches on a regular basis. But their best highlight would be the best-of-five series with the Motor City Machine Guns over the summer which included a final match that blew away the already high expectations.

"TNA gave us the opportunity to go out there and do a five-match series," Roode said. "Each and every match got better each and every week. Our chemistry that we have with each other is unbelievable. Four guys who are TNA originals. It was really, really special to share that with the Guns and I'm sure they feel the same way that they could share that moment with us."

"To come to the back and have guys like Ric Flair and Mick Foley come up to you and say that was the best tag match I think I've ever seen in my career ... that's a moment that I'll never forget."

Despite the success he is having right now as part of Beer Money, Roode -- who has been in wrestling now for 12 years -- says he still has aspirations as a singles star, someday.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about a singles career because everybody who gets in this business should and probably does have a dream of becoming a world champion. That's still my goal, that's still my dream to become a world champion someday. But Beer Money is on a roll and I love it."

"I don't want to sound cliché, but I'm pretty old school. If people hate me watching me on TV, I want them to kind of hate me when I'm away from the ring too. I don't want to go out and beat the crap out of somebody or make somebody mad to where people wanna kill me while they're sitting on the couch, and then go on the computer and see how much I love the world. I just think that contradicts itself."

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/09/24/robert-roode-beer-money-keep-tag-team-wrestling-exciting-in-tna/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[62]Sep 27, 2010

"I'm aware that my skills have faded," Foley told FanHouse. "My knees and back are bad and my training is not what it should be. And I don't want to go out there and embarrass myself. It's really difficult to live up to the standards that I set for myself and I think that the fans have set for me as well. Heading into that match, it was not a comfortable, good, anxious feeling. It was pretty scary, sobering feeling. "

"To be honest, I think I have taken up too much of the show but that's not my call," he said "I would like to be the guy that helps pave the way for some of the younger guys and I've tried to do that on occasion and I hope to do that in the future. I have taken up too much time on the show. I think we should be cutting back -- and we have cut back -- on some of the segment and allow the wrestlers to wrestle."

Over the past few months, TNA has taken a different tone with the product, toning down some of the laughs. It's a direction that Foley fully embraces.

"I like the new direction with a little less humor behind the scenes and a little more emphasis on the wrestling. I think there can be more emphasis on the wrestling but I think we're doing a pretty good job of weaving in the new stars and showcasing teams like the (Motor City Machine) Guns and Beer Money in way that we haven't seen tag-teams showcased in a long time while using the stars that fans are familiar with."

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/09/27/mick-foley-admits-to-being-nervous-likes-current-direction-in-tna/

Midnight Mayhen recap:

Interview highlights courtesy of The Mayhem's official correspondent, Paterson from New Jersey:

Why the TNA Lockdown '09 Pay-Per-View & his Six Sides Of Steel TNA World Heavyweight Championship Match vs. Sting was the main topic & centerpiece of Mick's new book (Countdown To Lockdown): "I had reached an agreement with Grand Central Publishing to do a book, and I pitched it based on one chapter, which wasn't a wrestling chapter. It was a chapter & outline, and then I was faced with the challenge of finding something to write about. I think it worked out well that I had this big match coming up, but my editor's fear was that it was going to feel a lot like The Hardcore Diaries, and I said it was kind of designed to be a bookend because it is a similar structure, but the stories are completely different. I think it's the first TNA book, and it is a big departure from WWE, and it's a completely different story, and people are going to get to see comparatively how the two organizations work leading up to a big match. I'm lucky it was a really interested match for me, it was one that I had a lot of apprehension about, but fortunately it worked out really well."

His reaction to the news of his life being turned into a feature film (produced by Union Square Media & American Original's Jeff Katz): "I think the timing was pretty good here. I was worried that when I finally revealed what it was that people would go 'O God, it's just a movie.' I think from what I've gathered, people do see that as a big deal. Statically, there's not many people who have a deal for a movie on their life. I'm thrilled, because Union Square came up with an idea that I really felt could work, and the director's very high on it, and Jeff Katz comes from a background in wrestling and has had so much success. The chances of getting a project off the ground seem so slight…this one looks likes it's really going to happen."

The differences between his TNA World Title Match against Sting (Lockdown 2009), his Hardcore Match against Edge (at WrestleMania 22), & his Hardcore Match against Randy Orton (at Backlash 2004): "With Randy Orton, it was like the one true comeback match. I said that everybody should get one comeback, everybody should come out of retirement for at least one big match, and I almost didn't count WrestleMania the month before, because I kinda choked and was willing to settle on just being good enough. I kinda got intimidated, as I was out there in The Garden, there's Flair doing the Flair strut, and I was like 'I don't belong here, I don't belong here.' After the match, I thought I could do way better than that, so when Randy & I had the big match in Edmonton, it really felt like that one true comeback match. After that, every match is at least partially about making money, so it loses that pure quality. The match with Randy was different, because it was really Randy's first big high-profile match, and I think we both made the most out of that. With Edge, you had a guy who not at the top of his game character wise, but was at the top of his wrestling wise, and it was so clear that he was going to be a huge star. It was great to get him right before that last little peak. With Sting, you're talking about two guys who were not at their physical peaks, but who had a history together and had the pressure of trying to provide the main event on a card full of cage matches. I know some people looked at it like it was two old guys moving slowly, but I think for most of our fans, they looked at it like two guys working really hard doing the best they could, despite their limitations."

What should the fans expect from his forthcoming Last Man Standing Match with "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair next Thursday night on the live TNA iMPACT special ("Before The Glory"), along with his own personal thoughts about this potentially being his final career wrestling match: "At this point I don't want to say anything's my last match, because I'm kind of the boy that 'cried wolf' when it comes to that, and if the economy collapses again, I'll probably make another comeback. I think Ric's been on a roll, and I think when people see this promo in the ring on Thursday night, they are going to be really impressed and really feel like they want to see this match. I think we are going to work really hard, and hopefully bring the best out in each other, and put on the type of match that people can be talking about a few days afterwards."

Mick's reaction to Matt Morgan's exclusive comments to Monday Night Mayhem that "no one cares about Foley's upcoming book" (Countdown to Lockdown) and that "he should go away" or that Morgan is going to "put him away": "Matt's actually a huge reader, and I know he's going to read the book. I think he's trying to create interest, but I think he's hurt because I said the biggest insult you could give a guy in the business is 'He has a world of potential,' and that's what I said about Matt. It's a very backhanded compliment, so I could understand why he might be angry. You need those types of things once in a while to bring out the best in somebody, and Matt still has that world of potential. It's still not fully tapped. Matt's a good talker, but listen very close because he's really fast, so thanks for slowing it down so I could catch it."

Who he believes can rise up the card and be the future of TNA: "I still consider The Motor City Machine Guns to be untapped stars. They've had the chance to have these incredible matches, and I don't think there's any questions that these are as talented tag team, along with Beer Money, in the business. I just hope they could keep the ball rolling and find a way to become main event personalities as well. In the book, you can see I'm a big fan of those guys, so I'm proud to see how well they've done since the book was written. Frankie Kazarian has really benefited from clipping the ponytail and becoming part of Fourtune. I think part of the challenge TNA is facing is they've had so many good wrestlers, but haven't found a way to feature them in a way where they can breakthrough to the mainstream audience."

http://forceofwrestling.com/press-release-mick-foley-on-monday-night-mayhem-recap/

Edited on 09/29/2010 12:22pm

telvisnostic

[63]Oct 6, 2010

What event or events from his WCW/WWE career he can compare the "road to Bound For Glory" to (in terms of preparation, build-up, and hype) and when TNA actually started planning their ideas and concepts for this Sunday's Bound For Glory Pay-Per-View: "In terms of preparation, the two that come to mind: Starrcade ('97), Hogan and Sting obviously was a big one, because it was a long-term build. It wasn't a month-to-month kind of Pay-Per-View typical build; it was something we built for 12 months. Bash at the Beach ('96) when Hulk Hogan turned was something that also had a long term plan and build associated with it.

"Those are the two that come to mind. That's what I really enjoy doing, is when you have the ability to build for a Pay-Per-View over the course of three months, four months, six months...whatever it may be. That's not just a luxury we have anymore with twelve Pay-Per-Views. There's so much pressure to spend three weeks promoting, four weeks promoting, boom you have a big Pay-Per-View, then you start from scratch, and you're building again to the next Pay-Per-View. This is one where we said 'Let's really build it.' We really started really planning this one and structuring it back in March of this year. I'm excited about it."

Whether or not he feels that wrestling fans have taken more of a vested interest in the TNA product as a result of TNA Reaction and the show's effectiveness as a whole in building the matches on the Bound For Glory PPV card: "I think it definitely has. I think Reaction has done a phenomenal job. When we created the show and started laying it out on paper, one of the things we wanted to do was to create a television show that allowed people to get inside the heads of the talent and hear from the talent in a different way than they normally do, and I think ReAction has achieved that.

"It's a fresh, innovative approach that has never been done in wrestling before, and it just has a different feel to it, but the best part is if you watch it, you get to hear from the talent over an extended period of time. You're hearing from them in their own personal point of view. It's not a one or two-minute interview; there's no time constraints. If we sit down with AJ Styles and shoot Reaction footage, we may shoot 20 minutes of questions and answers, and we edit it the way flows best, but it gives the talent a chance to voice their feelings, opinions, and perspectives in an entirely different way."

An update on Hulk Hogan's current health status and why there's a very good chance you may not see "The Hulkster" this Thursday night on the "Before The Glory" Impact Spike TV special or this Sunday evening at Bound For Glory: "It's touch and go. Let's put it this way, we've spent a lot of time over the last two weeks on 'Plan B,' because with a back, you can't sit, you can't lay, you can't stand, you can't walk, you can't do anything without being in pain. Hulk has been in a tremendous amount of pain really for the last year or more. It's gotten progressively worse, but it's too the point now where I can't imagine it. Right now I don't plan on him being there at either event. I know he wants to be, and I know we have plans in place for him to be. Realistically, considering he can barely get out of his house at this point, I think optimistic to put it mildly that he's going to be able to participate, but who knows? "

World Wrestling Entertainment promoting Mick Foley's new book (Countdown To Lockdown) on WWE.com and on WWE television: "In terms of the promotion that it's getting, I think it's great for Mick obviously, because the WWE is a promotional machine, and them putting it out there and promoting it to their fanbase is a great opportunity for Mick. How it's happening? Why it's happening? I really don't know. It could have been a pre-existing deal with Mick, because of the books he's published previously with the WWE. It could be a 'one-off' deal. I would imagine it's a business transaction, because the WWE doesn't do anything, nor should they, if it doesn't benefit them as a company."

Why we have not seen more of the X-Division as part of the build-up to Bound For Glory and what he believes is in store for the X-Division after Sunday night's Pay-Per-View: "What it really comes down to is we only have so much television time. We have a lot of things we have to serve. A lot of storylines, a lot of characters, and things have to be prioritized in a certain way. While the X-Division is a very vital and unique part of TNA's profile, right now it's not a priority for this particular Pay-Per-View (Bound For Glory). It may be the #1 priority for the next Pay-Per-View, but you can't promote all things, all the time, all at 100 percent. Sometimes you have to cycle storylines, characters, and in this case, a division, because we have to put the emphasis on the key story. If we had a three-hour show every week, we might possibly keep everything at a higher profile, but unfortunately that's not the case."

What he hopes the fans take away from Thursday night's "Before The Glory" live edition of Impact and TNA's plans for the rest of 2010 post-Bound For Glory: "What can the fans expect from Thursday? Look at this Thursday's show as wrestling foreplay if you will. The real event is going to happen on the 10th, but Thursday should be some great foreplay for a wrestling fan. The next three months is really to set the stage, and after Bound for Glory there is going to be seismic shift from a storyline point of view and a presentation point of view. I think people are going to see things they didn't expect to see. We've worked hard to build a story that's going to be just as exciting after Bound for Glory as it was leading up to it, and what we do for the rest of the year is really set up for what we want to do in TNA in 2011 and build towards that."

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article10014461.shtml

telvisnostic

[64]Oct 7, 2010

On Product Awareness: "I'm actually not involved in that equation. Obviously, I hear conversations and people talking about it. But it's going to take a year or two and it takes effort from Spike as much as from the wrestlers. The biggest problem is one key word: it's called awareness. I hear more and more about TNA every day but when I first started six months ago, people had no idea I was even wrestling again. It's just an awareness issue. It's no fault of the promotion. It's no fault of lack of work or work ethic. It's just the budget is different there and they've got to earn their stripes as they go but they got marching orders and the guys are working hard. It's just a matter of time. I think it's a year away."

Does Fourtune Hurt The Legacy Of The Four Horsemen?: "No, I've only done it twice. Of course, I did it the other time with the WWE. The quality of the guys and who I'm with ... if I couldn't have control I wouldn't consider doing it. The fact that they asked for my input on that and pretty much let me get to know the guys that I'm working with and to be happy with them. Of course, I loved being with Dave (Batista) and Randy (Orton) and Hunter. That was a great time up there but I don't know if anything will ever follow the Four Horsemen just because we were together for so long. These guys are just tremendous athletes and they're really the tops in the business right now. I'm having a great time. I'm living my life vicariously through them!"

Does He Believe That Shawn Michaels' Retirement Will Last?: "I do because ... I'm not saying he won't wrestle again but he's got young kids and he's been able to make money. He made money before the kids were born and he enjoys the things that I didn't get to enjoy in regards to my first family. I did get to enjoy more with my second set of kids but at that point in time I really didn't get to do much with them until the time they were about 12 or 13. His kids are like 6 and 3 or 6 and 4, maybe 7 and 4. He's enjoying that day to day stuff that you don't get to do as a wrestler working full-time because you're gone every weekend."

Was he Going To Wrestle Shane Douglas At Hardcore Justice?: "I never was approached. That is all a figment of his imagination. He wishes. He's a clerk at Wal-Mart for christ's sake. How could he be a wrestler?"

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/10/07/ric-flair-refuses-to-slow-down-in-tna-wrestling/

telvisnostic

[65]Oct 7, 2010

It's like interview day or something. I'm just going to post the TNA parts of the interviews.

Ringside Radio with Terry Funk excerpts:

On how TNA can progress: "To make themselves more profitable, I don't know this for a fact or anything, but it take time, it takes good planning, it takes good programming. That's all very difficult to do. When I say this I'm certainly not knocking these guys, but you have to have good people behind the scenes too that know what is going on…."

"You can't just throw them out there doing the same thing week-after-week. It comes ahead entirely too quick. One of the most important guys is the booker and the guy that sets up the program. He has to be good at it. That's a hard person to find. I think there is problem with that and they need to be on the lookout for somebody who can come up with great scenarios. That is what it should be. They should know less is more."

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/InterviewHighlights/article10014491.shtml

Low Blow radio with Shawn Daivari excerpts:

Daivari on what led to his release from TNA: "Well when I came into TNA I had a very good relationship with Jeff Jarrett, who seemed to have more or less run things at the time. If I ever needed anything he could get it done. Once he got pushed out of the door things changed significantly. His job was divided among 10-15 different people, many of which I didn't have the relationship like I had with Jeff. I signed a two-year contract assuming that the entire time my boss would be Jeff which wasn't the case. Management and I didn't see eye to eye on some things and that's how things ended."

Daivari on the use of veteran talent in TNA: "Well, a common misconception is that the veterans in TNA may demand management to put them over, which in reality isn't the case at all. I never witnessed that during my entire stay with TNA. If a veteran goes over it's because of creative. I remember when Kevin Nash was doing an angle with Samoa Joe and really wanted to put Joe over. Creative kept booking it wrong and Nash eventually went over, despite what he wanted."

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article10014481.shtml

Deadnight-Majin

[66]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 18

Thanks for posting these interviews Telvis!

telvisnostic

[67]Oct 7, 2010

You're welcome.

telvisnostic

[68]Oct 8, 2010

Another interview, this time from Kurt Angle:

On His Upcoming TNA Bound for Glory match:
    Just like any other Bound for Glory. I know I have to step it up and put on the best performance I can. I'm excited it is Jeff Hardy and Mr. Anderson because I think they are two of the big upcoming names in TNA. I believe you're going to see a lot of great things in this match. The match will be match of the year. We're going to steal the show and give the TNA fans a really great main event.

Comparing Bound for Glory to WrestleMania:
    In TNA they give every wrestler on the card the ability to steal the show. We're ALL put in a position where you're trying to have the best match. And that's why a lot of the matches are so good.

On Kurt's Reaction to Several of the Stars Who Have Come In:
    I have mixed feelings. I don't exactly want somebody to come in from WWE and win the title from our best wrestler, which is AJ Styles. Rob Van Dam is a featured kind of wrestler, Jeff Hardy is as well. Mr. Anderson never really got his real chance, and I'm thankful for that. Right now, we actually has a better roster than WWE. The TNA wrestlers here have carried the company to this point and they deserve a lot of credit. We need to utilize those guys, and let the former WWE guys somewhat enhance them.

Comparing TNA to WWE:
    A lot of times, WWE doesn't get all that they could out of their wrestlers. I don't think an AJ Styles could have done all that he did if he were in WWE. There is no wrestler better in the world than AJ Styles. He's the best in the world. It just shows that we're able to utilize wrestlers differently than WWE. We're not just that prototype 6'2″, 240 pound man.

Kurt's "Dream" Final Opponent:
    I had a good little run with Randy Orton, but he wasn't as good as he is now. I think [Randy] is the best wrestler up there right now. He carries that company as a character and as a wrestler. I see another guy that's going to step up that I want to wrestle is the Miz. He's really stepped up in recent years. In TNA, I'd love to do more with the X Division guys, let them wrestle their style as I wrestle mine.

On Vince McMahon:
    I loved Vince. We ended badly, but he and I had a great relationship for a long time. He was like a father to me. Vince and I just weren't on the same page. I was burned out. I felt trapped and overworked and just wanted to get out. Vince did the right thing.

Listen to the rest here

Randyspeeps

[69]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 34

"

Kurt's "Dream" Final Opponent:
    I had a good little run with Randy Orton, but he wasn't as good as he is now. I think [Randy] is the best wrestler up there right now. He carries that company as a character and as a wrestler. I see another guy that's going to step up that I want to wrestle is the Miz. He's really stepped up in recent years. In TNA, I'd love to do more with the X Division guys, let them wrestle their style as I wrestle mine."

Kurt Angle is a smart man.

I lol'd at Ric Flair's comments about Shane Douglas.

telvisnostic

[70]Oct 14, 2010

Your fandom for Randy is always so humble. /sarcasm

-----------------

Booker T on TNA: http://www.tnawrestlingnews.com/headlines/289098159.shtml

Jim Cornette on TNA:

Whether he believes Eric Bischoff was "pulling the wool" over the fans' eyes on Hulk Hogan's health status leading into this past Sunday night's Bound For Glory, along with his thoughts on TNA giving a reported $15,000 to J-Woww (from MTV's Jersey Shore) to appear on this week's iMPACT: "First, I have to say that it's not the wool that Eric Bischoff has pulled over the wrestling fan's eyes, it's his b*lls that he teabags them with once again. Secondly, I gotta be perfectly honest: I completely forgot that their Pay-Per-View even happened, and haven't even had time to read on the Internet about what it is they exactly did other than that they are going to get J-Woww $15,000 to come to iMPACT. So whatever happened at Bound for Glory, they're giving J-Woww from 'Jersey Shore' about five times as much money to show up in one night as they've given any of their homegrown wrestlers that have bled, and sweat, and paid the price for the past four or five years like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels (who they let go), Beer Money, and probably even Matt Morgan, and a few other people like that, they're giving it to a J-Woww from 'Jersey Shore.' That tells me all I need to know about Bound for Glory."

How the ending of TNA's Bound For Glory Pay-Per-View compared with the entire flow of Ring of Honor's latest iPPV offering (Glory By Honor IX) : "It was very complicated, and as a result of those people coming out (Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett), and turning, and doing this, and doing that, I forgot who actually won the match, because no one gave a s**t after all that was over with. But on the Ring of Honor Pay-Per-View from New York, I could tell you that Roderick Strong defeated Tyler Black for the ROH World Championship. I could tell you that The Kings of Wrestling beat Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin (Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team) in the "Dream Tag Team Match." I can tell you that El Generico & Colt Cabana defeated Kevin Steen & Steve Corino. I can tell you that Christopher Daniels defeated Austin Aries, because we had a wrestling show, and they had a soap opera with weapons, and that is the difference, I think, between Ring of Honor & every other wrestling promotion out there today."

http://pwinsider.com/article/51790/jim-cornette-talks-about-the-evolution-of-roh-over-the-last-year-tomorrows-ring-roast-eric-bischoff-and-more.html?p=1

Deadnight-Majin

[71]Oct 14, 2010

Jim Cornette is awesome.

Randyspeeps

[72]Oct 15, 2010
    Jim Cornette for TNA President. Why did they let him go?

Deadnight-Majin

[73]Oct 15, 2010

Randyspeeps wrote:
    Jim Cornette for TNA President. Why did they let him go?
    Because he continually disagreed with the creative direction of the company/Vince Russo wanted rid of him.

telvisnostic

[74]Oct 15, 2010

He also wanted them to realize their potential and they didn't like that.

qfrodri85

[75]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 27
    Because Dixie Carter loves Vince Russo. Both should die.

telvisnostic

[76]Oct 15, 2010

They need ot realize that it's not the 90s anymore. Honestly, I think Russo needs to not do much anymore if he really is the only person putting that stuff out.

Hire someone like Adam Pearce or another booker.

Deadnight-Majin

[77]Oct 15, 2010

telvisnostic wrote:

They need ot realize that it's not the 90s anymore. Honestly, I think Russo needs to not do much anymore if he really is the only person putting that stuff out.

Hire someone like Adam Pearce or another booker.

Adam Pearce is the former ROH booker, who left in June, correct? What's he doing now?

If I'm not mistaken, Delirious took over booking duties.

telvisnostic

[78]Oct 15, 2010

I'd also like to add that when Cornette ran Smokey Moutain Wrestling, things didn't go as planned and they folded. He's also really old school when it comes to wrestling. He could still have been a good booker though.

I think Pearce is still in NWA.

telvisnostic

[79]Oct 18, 2010

THonline.com is featuring an interview with TNA's Jeff Jarrett where he talks about the touring of the company and where things are headed in 2011 and TNA vs. WWE.

"We're taking the company into the year 2011 and beyond and intend to become the most powerful wrestling organization in the world. When WWE bought WCW in 2001, it left a huge void in the market place. Without a No. 2, there can't be a No. 1. Quite frankly, our roster is better than their roster. They're a publicly traded company that has 50 years of history. From a business standpoint, they've got such a head start. But we're finding a niche in our own way."

http://www.tnawrestlingnews.com/headlines/289379969.shtml

------------------

Having better talent isn't the thing. Realizing that you have, being able to utilize them and to also make people want to legit be them/hate them/love them is the key as well.

Randyspeeps

[80]Oct 18, 2010

That's dumb that they would release him because he had an opinion. If I'm in charge of any company, I would want someone that would disagree with me, give me a different perspective on things; that's how you grow. But Dixie Carter runs a successful wrestling company, so what do I know...oops.

Edited on 10/18/2010 5:15pm