Sunday 8:00 PM on In Season

Interviews

telvisnostic

[161]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 52

Magnus interview:

On his career so far in TNA:

:
    I am frustrated. I'm conscious of the dreaded 'potential' word. It's a horrible thing to be labelled with. You have no idea how many times I've been told: 'One day, you will be world champion,' or: 'You're the future, you have so much potential!

Circumstances were difficult with the Nigel(Wolfe) thing. I know that Vince(Russo) was really disappointed that it couldn't happen because we had such great chemistry. There were big plans. Sh*t happens.

The political side of wrestling:

:
    If someone's a big fan of yours of course you're going to think they're making the right decisions. I can't sit here and go: 'I hate Eric B.' I like him. It's business. He has his opinion and it's down to me to make it change. I don't think there are many people in the world who are as young as me and have the same experience as me.I might be frustrated, but I'm developing a foundation and I've always been a big believer in that. My career idols are Stone Cold, HHH and Jericho.I was always going to be someone who honed their craft. I believe I can find that act that will draw money.

Working with Samoa Joe:

:
    I was really pleased to be put with Joe. Who wouldn't be? He is one of the top 10 wrestlers in the world today. I love Joe's work. He is solid, athletic and intense. I've always wanted to do a serious programme with him, and I think the contrast would really work.

His experience working with Ring Ka King:

:
    It feels very special to be in on the ground floor and to be in such a good spot. Jeff Jarrett and the team behind it have faith in me as a top guy, and I have delivered.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/inthering/view/227560/Nick-of-time/

http://www.tnainsider.com/topic/9487-magnus-interview-career-in-tna-samoa-joe-and-ring-ka-king/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[162]Jan 10, 2012

:
    Angle on 2011 for TNA: "I think that 2011 was a subpar year, I think We did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. The most important thing I would say is the lack of communication within the writing and creative team. When you have a written show and you present that to everybody and then they start changing things and it becomes a watered down version of what the writer wanted in the first place. Now you don't know which way to go. We do have a lot of chefs in the kitchen. I think that is the hardest part for our company because when Vince Russo is writing the show and you have Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff and a few other people and other TNA writers changing it up the last second which I don't disagree with what Hogan says, I agree with him 100 percent.

"But we need to regroup earlier, maybe a week earlier and get it done, change it up, make sure we have the right changes so that we can keep going with the story the right way. So I think 2011 was a confusing year, so this is what we are going to capitalize on in 2012. We are not going to make the same mistakes. I think Hulk Hogan will get with to Vince Russo quicker, I think Eric Bischoff will get with Vince Russo quicker. We will get the show written, get it done a week earlier instead the day of the show, and changing it up. It was just very frustrating. Because I'm a little bit of part of everything in TNA and I watch what's going on and sometimes I get a little frustrated when I see what Vince Russo is trying to do and I see what the outcome is."

Angle on Bound For Glory: "We literally had a change in 2011 at Bound For Glory right before the match in the main event. In other words, somebody was supposed to win and it got turned to me winning that night. It worked out for the better, I'm not going to lie to you. So the change was good, but literally we didn't hear about it until that night and me and Bobby Roode was like What?! I'm winning?! I have a torn hamstring and I can't even wrestle."

Angle on Samoa Joe: "We have not done Joe justice. Whether it had to do with an attitude problem an attitude change. In wrestling you have to play by the rule book. Joe was a little bit of a rebel. I think that might have hurt his cause. I believe Joe is rational. I think we can still make Joe a big star again. I think Joe is a full time main eventer. I think we need to do it now because if we don't do it now it will never happen."

Angle on the next main event guy: "AJ Styles was there for a while. And then we pulled him down which I didn't agree with. Now we got AJ up there, Jeff Hardy is here, Robert Roode, James Storm. We're starting to get to a point where these guys are going to start full time and Kurt Angle and Sting can dwindle off and retire. That's what we need to happen and that's what's happening now and I'm glad because I don't want to leave TNA and leave an open spot there. I cant wrestle forever. As a matter of fact I am already talking retirement. It's about making guys and putting them in my spot and making sure they are secure there before I leave."

Kurt on Jeff Hardy: "We were all concerned about Jeff and his welfare. We wanted Jeff to come back. We love Jeff. He is the coolest guy in the world. I have so much respect for him because he can go anywhere he wants. WWE would hire him like that even after everything that's happened. If he wanted to, and he got released by TNA, WWE would hire him like that. You know why? Because he makes money. He sells merchandise, more than anyone else in this world. So God bless him he could go back to the WWE if he wants, but he wanted to come back here and he wanted to prove to everybody that he could be the wrestler and that he could stay clean.

"Came back and he humbled himself. Apologized to all of us in the locker room for an hour. Told us the whole deal. Told us the whole deal about his brother. Told us about everything about his story and said, 'Listen, all I'm asking is for one more chance.' And he was so humble and had so much humility. It was like 'Ok you know what, you got your chance, you got more than your chance, We're happy you're here.' Jeff right now in his life is the best role model a man can be for any kid. Seriously! If I wanted my kid to be anybody right now, it would be Jeff Hardy. My kid wears his shit. And I'm like 'are you kidding me? You don't have the singlet like Daddy, you got Jeff Hardy crap.' He is the epitome of what a wrestler and a role model should be. And he is a good guy. He will take time to say hi to everyone."

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article10022749.shtml

Crulex1369

[163]Jan 11, 2012
    • level: 26
    Interesting words, Mr. Angle.

telvisnostic

[164]Feb 14, 2012

Cred

Busted Open Interview: Christopher Daniels

Hosts: Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca Busted Open can be heard Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2-4 ET on Sirius 94 XM 208

Christopher Daniels on wrestling in London: "When you get in front of a crowd that is pumped to see you, you can't help but step up your game a notch. And for the last couple years when we've been going over to the UK, the London crowd has been one of the loudest crowds we've ever been in front of. We decided to make a gamble and put the television taping in London, and as you can see from the last two weeks of television—I think it's paid off. I think it's going to bring new eyes to the product, the fact that we're taking it different places. And as often that we can tape outside of Orlando, I think it's better for the product that makes us look bigger and bigger, and it's just gonna widen that spotlight on us."

Christopher Daniels on going from London back to the Impact Zone for a PPV: "It's great to get out and tape our shows in different areas, but at the same time, we recognize the loyal fans that have been in Orlando ever since we started. We're just looking to do what's best for the company overall. And sometimes that means going and taping Impact! outside of Orlando. And at the same time, people have come to grow to love the Impact! show from the Impact Zone in Orlando. We're also taking steps to save money in that respect as far as taping as much in Orlando as we can, but also branching out to bigger arenas in different places."

Christopher Daniels on the lineage of ROH: "The thing about Ring of Honor is that it was always populated with talent that was hungry for opportunity, that was hungry for a chance to show what they could do on a national level. And guys that loved wrestling from the very beginning. All of us who came up through Ring of Honor, the one thing that we had in common was the love of the business. When you get guys like that in a locker room, you can't help but have great matches and that is what got the spotlight on that company in the beginning. And once the spotlight is on, once the fans are paying attention, you can't help but for the other companies to start paying attention to the talent that's there."

Christopher Daniels on pure wrestling vs entertainment: "Well I think it fluctuates from week to week. I feel like each television show (whether we're talking about WWE or Impact! Wrestling or Ring of Honor), they're looking to walk that balance between pure in-ring sports and the character development—the things that make an Austin Aries stand out from an Alex Shelley, or a Christopher Daniels that stands out from an A.J. Styles, or a CM Punk standing out from Dolph Ziggler.

"You've gotta be involved with these characters to ultimately care about how they do whether they win or lose inside for the wrestling ring. And it's just a fine line. I mean, some weeks you're going to get in-ring promos that seem to last a longer time than usual, and sometimes you're going to get 20-minute matches on the television show. It just depends on that weekend and what the show and the people that are putting the show together, what they feel like is going to be the thing that draws the viewer in and makes them go "I've gotta watch next week."

========================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6ECqEkUV4sA

==========================

http://www.betweentheropes.com/459/tna-knockout-tara-nervous-for-big-match-with-gail-kim/

==========================

On the importance of bringing prestige to the TNA Tag Titles and keeping it relevant in these dark days for the division: "I think it's absolutely key. Some of the greatest matches that have been ever been wrestled have been Tag Team matches, some of the greatest wrestlers have been Tag Team wrestlers, I think Tag Team wrestling, I don't know where it fell out of favor, if I'm part of the resurgence and part of making it relevant again then I'm all for that."

Does he think TNA needs to move out of the Impact Zone: "I feel it is of dire importance if you want to see the product as well as the fan base continue to grow, people want to see wrestling in their hometown, they wanna go to live events and they want to be part of the experience and forgive me for using the same adjective again but its a very symbiotic experience where the crowd very much powers the performance in the ring and its almost subconscious, when you are out there in front of thousands of screaming fans it amps up your game a little bit, whether you like it or not, it puts you on point, it puts you on focus and makes you want to go out there and put something on fantastically. I think what you saw last week (TV taping from England) was very much evident of that."

His proudest moment in the company thus far: "Winning the Heavyweight Championship, for a bevy of reasons. First and foremost because it was from an athlete like Kurt Angle, who is world renowned and world class and one of the top players in the game, and I look forward to replicating that experience here in the near future."

http://blip.tv/wrestlingvoiceradio/samoa-joe-interview-february-2012-5947123

=====================

Talking about Nick Aldis, aka Magnus, Hulk said: "Nick's got something. He's really come on in the last month with Samoa Joe, since they teamed up. I've watched him before but he didn't really poke his head up. "But all of a sudden, with the Joe thing, he started talking with Joe. Joe came at him like a tough guy and Magnus stood up to him and said 'I'll take care of my s**t, you take care of yours'. "It showed that little bit of fire that I hadn't seen. Then in the ring, he was really aggressive. I think there is something there. "We definitely need to pay a lot of attention to him. He definitely, without a push and without any help, he is starting to shine through."

ON CREATIVE CONTROL AND VINCE RUSSO: "People say 'Hogan, you have this creative control clause?' and I say 'yeah, but the only time I've ever exercised it in 30 years is when Vince Russo screwed me'. And it didn't even help then! I got screwed and couldn't do anything about it! "Nowadays, we have a working relationship. I would have bet my bottom dollar that we wouldn't work together again. There was a point in time where if I was to go to TNA it was him or me. The truth is Eric Bischoff sold me on it. Eric had met with Vince and explained to me how things were different and we should sit down to talk."

ON BRET HART AND MONTREAL: "I still don't understand what happened with Shawn and Bret. It was a shoot. Everything's a shoot with Bret. He's in a business which is a work. But when it comes to him having the belt it's a shoot. "How come you can't do a job in Canada? So I can't do a job in Florida? Vince asks Bret to drop the belt but he won't do it? It's Vince's business. "I don't understand him not putting Shawn over. It's fake wrestling! It's acting! If it was a competitive sport, Andre the Giant would probably never have been beat and Kurt Angle would probably be the champion now. It sure wouldn't be Bret Hart or Hulk Hogan."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/4107308/Hulk-Hogan-news-Hogan-on-Bret-Hart-Ultimate-Warrior-Shawn-Michaels-and-TNAs-UK-tour.html

=======================

His future in wrestling: "I think there is a future for me in wrestling in some capacity. I have such a new outlook on life after going through such a crazy period, I've kind of had a reprieve for a while. At some point I had to face everything and change my life, and I have, and I feel good about where I'm at right now. Wrestling is in me, its in my blood and I think I'll always be in wrestling in some shape or form. Basically I chalk it up to this, I kind of let God lead me where I'm going to go. After I have back surgery, we'll see where I stand physically and from that point on I'll kind of see where the wave takes me."

If he has used social media in the right way: "There are times when I have, and there are times I've used it in the wrong way as well. I feel like I was one of the original guys to take social networking and promoted themselves. Under WWE and I know from being around there a long time, stemming from Vince McMahon and going all the way down, they've always wanted control of everything they have, and it's hard to do that with Twitter or YouTube cause it's something that you have to go hand in hand with and work with the company. But now they realize its huge deals now and there is money to be made and there is promotion that comes from it, so it's great that they have embraced it now. But as far as I go there has been a lot of people who tie me in as "The Internet Guy" or "the social media guy" and that's cool because I do dig that stuff.

Whether he should take a break from social media: "I did for a while but now that I'm here and I'm me, I like getting messages out. There is a lot of people just from Twitter that say "because of this, you've been through this and overcame it and you're doing better and you're really inspiring me." There is people out there that I know I can help and touch. That's one of my main reasons for ever wanting to get into wrestling because I can inspire and help other people. Just being able to do that is important to me. I dig communicating with people and I try to respond to as many fans as I can when I can. It's just a part of my lifestyle and it's something I enjoy and I'm really into doing things I enjoy and that is healthy for me."

The Undertaker's streak: "To me I don't think the streak should ever end. I don't think anyone is going to become a bigger star because they beat the Undertaker. I mean they would become a bigger star but I don't think its worth sacrificing the streak. I think the streak is as big of an attraction at Wrestlemania as the world title match is. To me when you think of someone as 20-0, that's almost more important than the world title.

"It almost overshadows everything else. People buy Wrestlemania to see if the streak is going to end. People also buy Wrestlemania to see the Undertaker continue the streak. So to me I don't think it should end, especially because he is getting towards the end of his career. I have never had more respect for someone in the wrestling business than him. If they were going to try to do it, it would have to be someone that is already over almost on the main event level, almost a new guy that has five, seven, or ten years left in him and I don't see anyone like that right now."

The rigors of a full time schedule: "The schedule is very brutal and very tough and you're obviously beating up and destroying your body. As far as what other people do, it's not my business to put anyone else's business out there. But it is a tough gig. The one thing I would say is what I would love to see change in the wrestling business is to just have an off season, because I think guys need time off to heal. I think that would really help slow down the injury process, because once your hurt if you're on a WWE schedule the only time you get off is if you have surgery.

"Not only do they want you to work, but the mentality is if you can work, you do work. I think that's stuck in the old ages. I think they have to get a point where guys are given time off or are forced to take time off. I know that it's hard because there is not a lot of star power out there right now and they need everyone they can. It's just hard on your body and it's a physically demanding business. When you get into it you know that so it's a tough gig.

telvisnostic

[165]Mar 8, 2012

On working with his son on TV: "It's a challenge and I have mixed emotions about it. At the end of the day, he's doing what he wanted to do…I have a certain point of view about the wrestling business and the current state of it, and the opportunities that exist in the business today versus what has existed in the past. I tried to dissuade him from getting involved, but he's doing what he wanted to do. Regardless of how I feel about it, he's sticking to his dream and that's an admirable quality."

On working in the business now versus in WCW: "I live for the day today and I don't spend a lot of time dwelling in the past. There is a big difference between what I do today for TNA versus what I did for Turner Broadcasting. I don't have to deal with talent issues. That is a stressful job, even when talent is on their best behavior. It's stressful having the futures and the welfare of that many people in your hands. Wrestling is a tough business to break into, and knowing that you're in control of them being able to feed their families…I don't like that."

On The Ultimate Warrior's run in WCW: "There was a certain level of expectation and it fell flat. We thought we had a decent way to use him…I'll never forget this, it's like scar tissue, it never goes away. On his first Nitro, he was supposed to cut a 5 or 6 minute promo, and when he got near the TWENTY-FIVE minute mark, I wanted to dig out my eyes. It was the most painful, excruciating, non-seneschal, disconnected interview I've ever heard in my life…it was horrifying, and went downhill from there."

On his role with TNA booking: "Bruce Prichard is head of creative, and I oversee things and make sure that the network gets what is asked for. I wanted to develop a long term plan for booking, and Vince Russo liked running things on a short term planning basis. Right now, we are very much on track with the creative direction that we laid out in October. I work very closely with the team and Dixie on the day of TV, but I'm not involved in management on a day to day basis."

On Vince Russo's departure: "I don't know why Vince and TNA parted ways, and I wasn't involved in it. I haven't spoken to him since, aside from an email wishing him success in the future. I haven't talked to anyone in TNA about it either. He and I had philosophical differences on how to create primetime television, but I don't think it's unfair or unprofessional to acknowledge that. I enjoyed the challenge of working with him."

On whether or not Ric Flair should appear at the WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony this year: "I'm not a decision maker, and whatever they decide, I'm going to support. But in my personal opinion, I think they should allow Ric to go to the Hall of Fame. Ric Flair is a very special individual…he is 63 years old...he's not perfect, but there is not anyone in this business that deserves the respect and honor of taking center stage in the biggest event in our universe more than he does."

-Various sites

telvisnostic

[166]Mar 8, 2012

Test

telvisnostic

[167]Apr 15, 2012

Busted Open Interview: James Storm
    Hosts: Doug Mortman and Prince Nana
    Busted Open can be heard Monday, Wednesday and Friday on Sirius 94 XM 208 and Sportszone 860 online

On Lockdown Match vs. Bobby Roode: "It's one of those—I don't wanna say 'make-or-break' matches—but it's definitely the biggest match of my career so far.
    There's a lot of pressure. To me, I think a wrestler's dream is to headline a huge pay-per-view, be in the World Championship match in his hometown, and ultimately win it. And that's what I have the opportunity to do in front of my friends and family and all the fans that came to see me when I used to wrestle in Tennessee and Georgia and Kentucky.

"I know a lot of them are going to come out for me. There's a lot of pressure on me, but I'm going to handle it just like I do anything else. It's time for me to step up or shut up, so come Lockdown this Sunday, I'm definitely going to be stepping up. Bobby does his job well. He's arrogant, he's playing the heel role to a T. And my job as the babyface is to get the crowd behind me, to get them to want me to kick his ass. And both of us do our jobs."

On Relationship with Roode: There's going to be some eyes swollen shut, that's for sure in this match. The whole deal with him saying all that stuff about my two step-brothers and my dad on the TV…that actually kind of caught me off-guard. I didn't know that he was going to say that stuff. He can call my family red-necks all he wants, he knows that really doesn't bother me; I'm proud of who I am. But you go talking about my dad and my two step-brothers that were killed by a drunk driver, that are not here to defend themselves, that's a different story and I'm going beat somebody's ass for it. And I told him, I said 'I don't appreciate it, and when we get inside that cage, I'm going to show you.'"

On Storm and Roode's TNA Legacy: "Me and Bobby, we've had the opportunity to go somewhere else, but we didn't. We stayed with TNA because we believed in it. I've built a pretty good career here and a good legacy. This Sunday when I win the World Championship, I'm just going to add to it and make it that much better."

How does it feel to be in the main event, yet the big names like Hogan still get pushed? "It definitely makes us proud—me, him AJ [Styles], even Kazarian, Christopher Daniels. I don't want to say we look at them and say 'we told you so.' They bring in these other guys and they put them ahead of us just because they think they've got the name recognition and all this, but now I guess they're learning that the fans don't want to see them. They want to see guys like us who go out there and give it 110 percent who are not there just to collect a paycheck.

"It's politics. That's basically what it all comes down to. It's good to have guys who still love the sport of wrestling, who are not there just to collect a paycheck, who want to go out and wrestle their next match like it's their last match. And I think that's what TNA needs to get to is the guys that are passionate about this, and they'll start seeing ratings go up.

"To me, wrestling fans are not stupid. The company and the higher-ups can say what they want to say, but at the end of the day, wrestling fans know that they want to see wrestling. They don't care about all these older guys going out and talking all this. It's a wrestling show—let the guys go out and do what you hired them to do and that's perform."

On Kurt Angle: "Every time he's on Lockdown, he pulls out a hell of a performance. That hamstring, you hurt it, it's OK. But you try to push and it tears, you're done for a long time. He knows his body, he knows when he's able to go and what he's able to do. Hopefully he's cautious when he gets inside that ring, and doesn't do something too stupid."

Is it a necessity to have blood in a cage match? "No. I know me and Bobby's match is bound to have blood cause there's such intense feud and we're not going to hold nothing back. I mean, if we get busted open the hard way, so be it. But I don't think there's a necessity to have blood in every cage match. You just got to go in there and you have to work smart."

On how his relationship with Montgomery Gentry started: "Alcohol. We were hanging out at a bar, and someone was telling me, 'Hey, that's Montgomery Gentry over there.' I listen to some of their music, so I went over there and they were more shocked than I was, like 'Man, you're Cowboy James Storm!' We just stood there and drank beer and had a good time, down at Tootsies in Nashville."

On Garrett Bischoff: "I don't think it's really Garrett's fault. I travel with him on the road sometimes. I'll get in the ring with him before a house show and we'll wrestle around and me and him work on some different things he need to work on. I mean, he's doing his best to get better because he knows that he was just kind of thrown in to the wolves."

On AJ Styles: "Somebody brought something up to me that I thought would've been pretty interesting that said if I win the World Title this Sunday that it would be cool to have a match, me against AJ Styles, at Slammiversary because we're the only two guys that have been here since Day One that are left on the roster. You give us twenty minutes out there to tell a story and wrestle, we'll definitely tear it down. Especially AJ.

"He's one of the best of the best; there's no doubt about it. For the last ten, fifteen years, he delivers every time. There's nobody in my mind that tells a story better in the ring than A. J. Styles. So for people trying to nit-pick him saying he can't cut great promos, to me, he cut pretty good promos and that's good enough. His wrestling abilities make up for the rest of it.

telvisnostic

[168]Apr 15, 2012

Busted Open Interview: Bobby Roode
    Hosts: Doug Mortman and Prince Nana
    Busted Open can be heard Monday, Wednesday and Friday on Sirius 94 XM 208 and Sportszone 860 online

On Sunday's Lockdown match with James Storm: It's been six months in the making, basically. A lot of hype behind it obviously, a lot of promotion going into it, a lot of pressure, but I've been under the gun for the last six months as the World Champion and I thrive on pressure. So Sunday night's going to be no different; I'm just going to be facing a different guy. I'm looking forward to it.This is a huge match--I'm not going to kid around here. This is two TNA original guys who have been there from the beginning, being put in the spotlight, being put in the main event.

"One of the biggest pay-per-views in our company's history. It's a huge deal for me and it's a huge deal for James [Storm]. I've held this title for going on six months, I've main-evented pay-per-views, I've main-evented overseas Impact's. I'm kind of getting used to this and I kind of like it so if there's more pressure on anybody, it's going to be James. I mean, he's in his own backyard, he's going to be in front of friends and family, he's going to be in Nashville in the main event going for the World Championship. So I know that I feel some pressure, but there's no doubt that James is going to be feeling a lot more pressure Sunday night.

Is this is the biggest match of your career? "Yes, absolutely. No doubt. I mean there's so much to prove. What this means to us both personally, there's absolutely no bigger match I've ever been in my life."

On Beer Money to singles wresting, and answering doubters: "I would like to think so. Since I came into this company, I was known as a tag-team guy starting with Team Canada and then breaking off on my own for a short period of time, and then hooking up with James and having the run with Beer Money for almost four years and becoming such a successful tag-team. Everybody identified myself, and James for that matter, as tag-team guys, and I don't think anybody really gave us a shot to get to where we're at. It's a good feeling. Personally speaking, I knew that I always had what it took to be top guy.

"I knew what it took to be a World Champion. I craved it, I wanted it. I was eager and determined to become a superstar, to become what I am today, and honestly I don't even think I've reached my peak or the potential that I have. I really want to keep going, I really want to keep proving myself each and every night and hopefully after Sunday I'm going to keep on that championship trail and keep proving people wrong and becoming a bigger superstar.

On Being the Face of TNA: You've got to know how to handle things and the thing that people don't realize is you've got to be confident in yourself. As soon as you lose that confidence, everything starts to fall apart. I have a lot of confidence in my ability; I have a lot of confidence in myself right now, especially after the last six months. I've been able to hang in there with guys like Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles and Sting and verbal conversations on TV with Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair.

"I'm in great shape right now and I'm really looking forward to getting into Nashville and getting in that cage. This has been building for such a long time. Everyone talks about how Impact Wrestling has WWE washed-up guys who come in and take our spots. This is an opportunity for two TNA-original guys—me and James—to go out there and prove that we belong in the main event. I know that I am ready, and I'm sure that he is as well."

On Jeff Hardy's comeback: "Impressive is an understatement. I got an opportunity to step in the ring and wrestle with Jeff numerous nights since his return. Since I won the title, we've wrestled each other all over the world basically. I mean, every live event we would wrestle each other. I got to be honest with you, he is in probably the best shape of his life right now. He's got his life back together, he's focused on his career, and I've had a lot of fun performing with Jeff over the last little while. I'm sure his match with Kurt [Angle] is going to be epic on Sunday."

telvisnostic

[169]May 30, 2012

TNA President Dixie Carter is currently on a media conference call to discuss the live Impact broadcasts this summer. Here are highlights of the call.

*Currently, they have 12 weeks where they are live. They hope to expand that at least one week since that week comes in between PPVs, but they are excited with the opportunity and really excited to build on it.

*Carter loves the more reality-based elements they are implementing on the show, feeling it freshens up the product and the characters.

*Brooke Hogan will not be wrestling and is there to help get some attention on the product. Carter was surprised at how much Hogan knew about the business as she literally grew up around some of the biggest names in the industry.

*Carter is very proud of the ten year anniversary and noted that there are some who covered the company from the start who didn't expect it to last ten months. She said it was hard and they've made mistakes but they are proud to be here.

*Carter doesn't believe they need to do 12 PPVs a year and they are currently negotiating contracts on the PPV end.

*At one point last November, there was talk of taking Impact to three hours but she wanted quality over quantity.

*Carter said that wrestling matters to them and it's not a dirty word. They are excited to show the real elements that go into the business for the fans.

*Carter said that the Monday night experiment showed the strength of the WWE's business and what they have built over the last few decades. She respects that and wants to build something greater for TNA.

*There is a possibility of live "specials in 2013 on SpikeTV.

*In regard to content on the Impact broadcasts with the earlier timeslot, Carter said they take the racier elements seriously to present them in the right way. Carter said that too much blood, language and sexually offensive material means nothing. Everything has to have meaning. In their attempts to make it mean as much as possible, some of those elements will come out.

*In regard to fears of producing live TV, Carter said there will always be a mistake and that's the reality of live TV. Live TV gives the audience a desire to need to watch the show live in the face of DVRs. It also prevents spoilers from getting out, which means viewers read it and create their opinion based on what the person wrote and also what's going to be in what segment.

*The move to live TV is happening at "warp speed" as she didn't know they would be live on 5/31 as of the last TV Tapings.

*Carter said they won't stick to any one format and plan to mix it up week to week to get viewers to invest the complete two hours in the live broadcast.

*Dixie Carter will be at the Brooklyn, NY Basebrawl event and actually sent their head of live events a note yesterday that they needed to do a PPV in that stadium.

*Carter said the best thing that they do is provide a great live event experience to the fans.

*Carter was asked about new talents. She said that was one of the reasons they are pulling the curtain back for the Gutcheck and they've found a number of talents like Crimson, Rosita and Jesse Sorensen that way. The Alex Silva decision was legitimately reversed on the fly live and it's an exciting new element on the show and to be put into the system.

*They don't expect any major ratings changes at first. The new timeslot being live will help them get the audience to the new timeslot quicker and establish that. They want to use the interactive element on the show as they've never had that ability to do before on their TV series. Carter said that tomorrow is a big night but it will only get better in the weeks to come.

*They want to let the talents cut loose and not be restricted to shorter two and three minutes segments. Last week, fans got to see a taste of what Hulk Hogan does behind the scenes. Carter gets defensive at the criticism that Hogan takes time from the guys and is just there for the check when he's working with talent and trying to make the show better. Carter said he works for her and she feels honored he is doing so much in those meetings and now everyone will get to see that for themselves on the TV series. Carter said it's going to be a big part of the legacy Hogan leaves in the business for himself and others. She noted that the 15 segment that opened Impact last week was completely unscripted and that allowed them to show their characters on a different level.

*They have not had a conversation about what needs to be done to be financially successful going live every week. They want to have consistency and quality week to week. The criticism that they do too much is something she takes to heart. They have to slow down and now have a six month story arc and bible so they can unfold their stories over time. The timeslot change and the summer season means it will take time for the audience to find them but they will hit their mark over time.

*Carter said Alex Shelley is a great talent and the door is open for him to return.

*On Ric Flair: "I cannot comment at this time."

*Tomorrow on TV, Dixie will introduce Brooke Hogan and will also have another announcement. She said they will have to tune in.

*Carter said they will be doing an Australia tour and it's going to happen. If it was up to her, it would happen sooner than later and they are working and researching dates and venues.

*Carter said that their follow-ups weren't always great in the past, noting the Samoa Joe kidnapping and the Jackie Gayda blackmail tapes. She noted that some would say it was just wrestling and it didn't matter but they needed their attention to detail to be better. Carter said a big goal is to be consistent and have a long story arc and a story bible that will hold them accountable. She said if something has slipped through the cracks lately, it's the exception and not the rule.

*Carter said they are going to present their product in a unique way and a unique journey. She said once they evolve into the next phase of what Impact is all about, they will face their next challenge. This is an evolution and they will evolve over time. Carter was excited to see where this was going to take them.

*The goal is to bring Impact to Australia, not Ring Ka King or something else. If someone within her own company beats her to the punch, she won't be a happy camper. *In regard to changes in direction, Carter was asked if anyone one person changed her mind. Carter said it's more about how people follow and watch television anymore. They have great characters but needed to have a more unique presentation and let them cut loose. She hopes to attract new viewers and hopes that happens.

*Concussions were brought up. Carter said there's been an effort and decision on the company's part to get away from more dangerous aspects. She gets offended when the fake word is used in pro wrestling and knows the dangers of what happens in the ring. Jesse Sorensen is lucky to be alive and they have to make everything as safe as possible and that's just the right thing to do.

*Carter was asked about their German events being canceled. Carter said they had an issue with their local promoter and while they don't like to cancel shows, it was right the move to make. They need to spend more time and effort to grow the market and the fan base there.

*In regard to marketing, most series promote the debut and the finale. They have 52 weeks of shows to promote and that spreads them thin, so they sometimes rely on celebrity tie-ins to expose themselves to a new audience. They pick and choose the opportunities and try to grow their audience outside of just pro wrestling.

*Carter was asked about a UK spinoff using UK talents similar to Ring Ka King. Carter said, "we are working on something as we speak and we hope to announce something soon. Stay tuned."

*Carter wanted to do TV from London as opposed to a PPV because more people would see it. Carter said she wanted to expose their broader audience worldwide for all to see.

*If they change their taping schedule and go live, they could conceivably tape in Manchester as well as London but right now, that's not in the plans. If they change the taping schedule as they go forward, that could be a possibility still.

*The most perfect world would be on the road every week live but she can't pull the trigger on that until it makes sense. She said that Universal allows them to have different fans every week and going live will allow a different significance and feel to the building.

*Dixie Carter approached SpikeTV about going live every week for the summer.

*As a private company, you don't release earnings and breakdowns and the PPV buyrates won't be released. She said their buys trickle in over the year and there is a lot of false information out there. You can't counter every piece of false information out there, you just move on and ignore it.

*The X-Division remains important to them but they have had some injuries that has changed their storyline plans. You can't just put anyone in there because if they can't perform at that level, it's glaringly apparent. They are looking for new talent and it's a top priority.

*The European tour is very special to Carter and the company. The UK was the first country to truly give TNA their stamp of approval in terms of wanting TNA to be the top company in the industry. She said they just love the company and everyone in TNA is grateful for that. She said the European tour is a great experience, naming the Liverpool and Manchester venues as some of her favorite.

*Carter said the interactive aspect of the company with meet and greets and personally thanking fans like she likes to do is a critical part of the company. *They want to continue to have Fan parties and interactive events in the UK between tours to keep the UK fans invested. She'd like to do a second tour a year in different markets.

*The Gutcheck deliberation that will air tomorrow was taped. There's been talked about having a female Gutcheck contestant soon.

*Carter was asked about advice for someone wanting to break into the company. Carter said you have to be passionate about what you do and try harder than the next person. She said that if you work hard and you are passionate about what you do, you can make it happen. She said there are so many times where the company should have failed to exist but you can't take no for an answer and if you don't, you will succeed.

*In regard to negative feedback to Brooke Hogan, Carter said that she hasn't been given a chance yet. They could have brought in someone from outside of the business but chose to bring her in. There's a reason she's a celebrity in her own right and will surprise everyone.

*The wrestlers prefer the four side ring and as MMA gets more popular, there's some confusion between the two. They may used the six sided ring for special events down the line like they did for the Destination X PPV. Vince Russo was a great creative writer but sometimes its time for change in someone's life. His strengths were his writing. She said they are trying to do things differently and improving upon them. She said he's a truly nice man and she wishes him the best. She said the product change isn't Russo related but looking at things with a fresh pair of eyes and trying to evolve the product around how a viewer might watch pro wrestling. They were doing that when Vince was here and now they are making the changes. They won't be making the changes overnight but will be making them.

*Carter said they aren't currently on TV in Spain but there's been talk of touring there any way since there is such a huge fan base there.

*Carter said those who have been with the company from day one have a different perception on the fight to survive. She noted Kurt Angle, Sting and Hulk Hogan joining the company being big deals and said what Hogan is doing for the company is great for her and the company.

*Carter was asked about running live events in Israel and said it would be something special and amazing for their wrestlers and they hope it can happen down the line.

*They could have overruns on the live broadcasts but Spike has a live show at 11 PM so she doesn't see it going long.

*Carter said that the audio levels of the crowd on PPVs hasn't been up to par and she's hoping the live broadcasts in the Impact Zone will do more to capture that live experience.

*Carter said that she doesn't know what the perfect number of PPVs should be. 6-8 is a possibility. *Don West leaving is a "heart-breaker" and he is a hard one to replace but they have what she called a "hit by a bus strategy" and Jimmy Jay has been trained to replace him, although West leaving will be a big loss.

*Carter said their biggest problem is having so many talents who deserve to be on TV every week and they have to slow things down and be conscientious to the fact that forcing everyone on the show means no one gets over. They have to build the stories.

*They are focusing on the digital media aspect of the company as they need to streamline that and get it ready for the future as technology evolves and moves forward. She said there are a lot of people who work crazy hours for the company and Bill Banks will have great success overseeing it.

*There haven't been any talks with Spike TV as to decide when and whether to expand the live broadcasts past 12 weeks. She is just concerned about making every Thursday this summer special.

*In regard to writers criticizing the company, she said there are some who are spiteful but most are passionate about the business and want to see TNA be the best it can be. She said there have been times they gave the writers a reason to knock them but they are just trying to do the best they can.

*Carter was asked about Bully Ray's work and asked who the next big star was. Carter said that isn't a next big one but you would see work in Bobby Roode and James Storm and praised Storm's fire and passion. She said Ray is a classic example of people reinventing themselves.

*Carter said the next step in their company is to open additional offices similar to the way WWE has them. This would help them have a presence in markets like LA and NYC. Carter said that if you understood how much they accomplish with such a small crew, you'd be shocked. *When they announce the location for Bound for Glory, it will excite people.

*There are no updates on Ring Ka King or All Wheels Wrestling but they hope to make an announcement regarding Ring Ka King and India soon.

-PWinsider

telvisnostic

[170]Jun 8, 2012

Christopher Daniels interview recap from Busted Open:

On the new era of Impact Wrestling: "As someone who's been around from the very beginning, watching this company grow from the weekly pay-per views, to moving down to Orlando, to doing the Fox Sports Net and then finally getting on Spike, every step we've taken has been a step forward. It may not have been a big step, but it's been a step forward. That's what I think has always been the positive about Impact Wrestling, is that we're always moving forward and always growing. Whether it's going from Saturday night to Thursday night or going from 9 p.m. to 8 p.m, these are all meant to build up and broaden our audience. All of these steps that we're taking are great steps. Right now, going live for the summer, I think that's a big gamble for us but I think it's a gamble we're going to cash in on."

On the TNA Hall of Fame: "In all honesty, I don't think any of the people that you're going to see that are still wrestling in an Impact ring will be in the hall of fame for a while. I guess that's one of the drawbacks for having a hall of fame for a company that's only 10 years old. How do you celebrate the accomplishments of a wrestler if he's still having accomplishments in the wrestling ring? That goes for myself, Bobby Roode, James Storm, A.J. Styles and guys that you could conceivably argue deserve to be in the hall of fame that TNA has. If we're all still accomplishing stuff in the ring, how do you induct us right now? I guarantee that I'm going to be in that hall of fame. I just think it's good to be after I'm done being the new face of Impact Wrestling and winning all of my matches."

On who will be the first person inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame: "Maybe Jeff Jarrett, but at the same time, Jeff is still competing in the ring. He's not competing currently for Impact, but he's still wrestling. He's doing a lot with AAA right now; he's still a viable competitor. I believe that the first person that's going to be inducted into the hall of fame is going to be someone that played more of a role behind the scenes and who helped create TNA. I'm not sure who it's going to be, but If I were a betting man, I would have to say it's probably going to be someone who had a lot to do with creating TNA, someone who got it off the ground in that first year. But I mean this is all speculation. The truth of the matter is, I didn't know about the TNA Hall of Fame until I heard the announcement last Thursday night, so this is all just wild speculation on my part."

On TNA going live May 31st: "It was exciting. We were looking at it like a new era, like a big step forward for us. There was excitement backstage, and I was doing another interview about it and telling them the same thing, that we've gone live once a month for the past six or seven years. But the truth is, when you factor in commercial breaks and having to hit those time cues right on the button, there was a little stress involved. But at this level, we're professional enough to understand the game and roll with those punches. I feel like we did a great job in terms of the product, in terms of the in-ring performances of the wrestlers, and I think it's just going to be a matter of time before the viewing audience catches up to what we're already doing. I'm sure that there was a little disappointment in that first rating, but I am confident in the fact that we plan to do this for the whole summer. We're going to see a growth pattern for ourselves and the viewer's going to catch up to us and you're going to see growth from last week until the end of this summer."

On his reaction to the May 31st rating: "I had no idea what to expect, to be honest with you. We sort of did a lot of changes all at once. The fact that we went to an hour early, and we did live; it's a gamble to do all of that at once. Maybe in hindsight it wasn't the right thing to do, but that's not a call that I could make. The truth of the matter is, now that the company and the wrestlers themselves keep plugging it away on our Twitter, the more that we let people know that the hour earlier is going down and we're going live, I think that more eyes are going to come to our product. And like I said, you're going to see a growth pattern from the beginning to the end of the summer."

On how going live and the new time slot will affect the audience: "I'm not really sure where the numbers are going to grow. I hope it's just a matter of with the fan base that we already have, that the word of mouth is going to spread to that fan base that sort of got lost when WCW and ECW closed down. Hopefully we're going to get more of a casual audience and more of an audience that's watching television earlier in the night, and we're going to convince those people to give us a chance and see something different than they'd see on Monday nights with the other company. Hopefully once we give them that taste, they're going to stick with us and keep watching us."

On if he agrees that his match with Samoa Joe and A.J. Styles at Unbreakable 2005 was the best in TNA history: "Yeah, I'd have to. I feel like that's still the benchmark for this company. It's the one that everyone talks about to this day, and I'm sure that 10 years from now they'll still be talking about it. You see the three of us, we're probably the closest to franchise players that you have for TNA. We're all three sort of homegrown talents coming out of this company and that night, we showed that we deserved to be in the main event. And we still continue to deserve to be in the main event. We're working our way there. Myself and Frankie Kazarian, could we be in the main event? Of course we could. Could A.J. Styles be in the main event? Of course he can. We're top-notch players. We're still at the top of our game. I think that particular match was our first taste of it, but it's not going to be the last taste of it."

On the feeling that there is always some sort of drama within TNA: "There's always going to be instances where people are going to focus on the negative. Incidents [such as the Jeff Hardy situation, the Matt Hardy situation, and the Ric Flair situation] are unfortunate, but at the same time, you can't paint the entire company with the brush of these singular incidents. There's always going to be negatives. Unfortunately, that's just the nature of the business. In the same way, people could paint the NFL [negatively] when Michael Vick was convicted of dog fighting. There's always going to be negatives. But I choose to look at the positives of our company.

I think we have one of the greatest rosters of talent that's ever been assembled. "I think if you give us an opportunity we'll show you that, as far as wrestling goes, we're top notch. These negative instances that come around, we try to move past them. In the instance of Jeff Hardy, he's come back and been 100 percent clean. He's 100 percent healthy, and at the top of his game. He's been more focused in his wrestling career than he's ever been. These things happen for every company; the WWE's the same way. When these things happen, people are going to focus on them for little bit. It's just how the company moves forward and concentrates on its positives. I think that's the measure of the company itself. Right now, we're in a new era, we're doing new things, we're pushing forward and trying to broaden that audience, let's move past the negative stuff.

On Joey Ryan: "I absolutely think that Joey Ryan has a place in this business. I was a little disappointed that the Gut Check judges gave him a 'No,' but I feel like there were a lot of things going on against Joey Ryan. The fact that Alex Silva gained the first contract, I think that the judges didn't want the Gut Check to seem like we were giving contracts to everybody. I think that they possibly had a preconceived notion of what they wanted to say. It was interesting that the judges made comments about Joey's attitude. I know the words 'sense of entitlement' were uttered by one of the judges. That says a lot to Joey as a character and as a person when you get out there and you've got this opportunity.

"I think he believed that he had that job sewn up and I think as a competitor, he was 100 percent right. He had that sewn up. It was a valiant effort against someone who's on the roll of his life right now in Austin Aries. Should he have gotten he contract? If I were the judge, I would've said 'Yes.' But I wasn't the judge, and you can't tell what Bruce Pritchard was thinking when he was looking at him, what Al Snow was thinking, what Taz was thinking. That's something that you'd have to ask them. But I absolutely think that Joey Ryan has a place in this business. What happens now is going to say a lot about Joey Ryan's character. Whether he continues to try to come to TNA, whether he parlays this opportunity he had on television into more work on the independents or work in a different company; only time will tell with that."

telvisnostic

[171]Jun 8, 2012

Sting Busted Open Radio interview recap (various sites):

On his naysayers and detractors: "There is always going to be naysayers out there. I really wish sometimes we could get the exact number, percentage wise of how many detractors I have. Lots of times the naysayers or the haters, they are a small percentage of people, but they tend to have the loudest voices for some reason. People pay attention to that. Over the years I have tried to ignore it. I can't say over the years I have botched my career up. I think I am making a wise choice by choosing not to hear it."

How beneficial is it for Bobby Roode to headline a main event with you: "Of all the guys coming up that I have tried to get to that next level, Bobby Roode has answered the call better than anyone I can ever remember. Bobby, whether you love him or hate him brings it every night. He looks the part, he plays the part and he is world champion caliber. For me to be with him in the middle of the ring again one more time, I don't think it will hurt Bobby."

Sting on why he always stays with TNA: "It's a brand that I fit in to most. And I still think I fit in even after all these years. It is a lot like WCW was in the early days. We were at Universal, we were at Disney, we were the second rate company, the second class citizen until Monday Night Nitro happened. So here we are going live 13 weeks in a row and this is something that I have wanted to do since I got there. I want this company to grow. I like the people behind the cameras, in front of the cameras. It's a good group of people. It's not all about the money for me at this point. I think my actions in the ring, my interviews, everything I have done over the last few years, especially proves it's not about me anymore."

Sting on the first inductee into the TNA HOF and if he should be the first: "I'm still an active wrestler. I'm still in the ring. If we are going to be picking and choosing people potentially that are still working, there are lots of guys…great name people…AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels. All these guys that came along way before I did. These guys were paving the way before I got into TNA. To me it doesn't make sense to put me in there. It makes more sense to put one of those guys. Jeff Jarrett is another one. I'm not kayfabing you, I have no idea who it is. I hope its not me."

On how close he came to signing with the WWE: "Four times over the last twenty years I have had conversations with Vince McMahon and it was close. I would say on average it was up there around a 7, maybe an 8. But this last one, we were at about a 9.5. Now years ago the reason why I didn't sign with the WWE was I didn't like the way they used some WCW guys. I thought more times than not, they wanted to get talent from WCW more to undermine WCW than actually wanting the talent. Every time I would go back to Turner or whoever it was and they would say 'what will it take to keep you here?' I would tell them 'it's going to take this'. We always came to terms. I never had something against WWE. I read sometimes people saying 'Sting hates Vince McMahon'. I don't understand that. I never said I hated Vince McMahon. I've had great conversations with him over the years. I hold nothing against him and I have nothing against the WWE."

On him becoming born-again: "I was forgiven a whole lot. I have a testimony out there. I did everything under the sun. My marriage is gone. I'm divorced now. I have never said that publicly. I'm saying it for the first time. I am divorced. It is because of all the choices I made on the road all those years and falling into every temptation that there was. I know I was forgiven and I will be forever grateful for that. I'm not ashamed to say I believe in Jesus Christ and he is my Lord and Savior."

On Ric Flair in TNA and what went wrong: "I don't know what happened to him. I'm still trying to find out. As a matter of fact I am going to call him so I can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. I've heard rumors, but I don't want to talk about it until I talk to Ric personally. Sounds like there is still a chance that he could come back, but until I talk to him I won't know for sure."

On what Ric Flair has meant to his career: "Kudos to Ric Flair. He put me on the map. I owe a lot to Ric. I am forever grateful to him. He had the ability to make or break me and many others. He chose to make me. I enjoyed working with him so much over the years. He taught me more in the first 12 months in the ring with him than I did for the first 24 months in the business. He kind of took me under his wing and helped me out. I'll always be a Ric Flair booster."

On companies trying to bring back old stars and not create new ones: "The TNA guys are not idiots or stupid people. They don't say ' I don't care what the wrestling fan thinks, so we are going to do what we want to do. Let's just keep Hogan and Sting in the picture until they die'. It's literally people that come together and say 'ok let's look at the ratings, let's look at the quarter hours. Let's see what happens when we put Hulk or Sting at a car dealership and see what people we get draw-wise.

"Let's listen to the fan reaction at all of these different venues that fans do go to. How do they react to each individual wrestler? What are they saying when they do the research on the Q ratings stuff.' They will do research like this. On top of that, what do you like to see in this character? You've got a lot of people doing research asking 'how can we make this better?' They want the ratings to be good. You guys might be looking at it like 'they are afraid to take a risk, they are putting too much of the older stars with the new stars. They should just stick with the new.' From our side of it, we are trying to push the new and sometimes you have to use the old to push the new."

On the fairly low rating for the first live TNA Impact: "It wasn't fairly low. It completely sucked. From what I heard it was one of the worst ones we have had in a long time. That's fuel for the fire for you guys. I know it is. It's one of those times when you have to go 'oh my god!' You can't win for losing. I believe no one really knew that we were eight o'clock instead of nine o'clock. We were up against the NBA. I'm sorry but it was a double whammy. The very first week on a new time slot, and I just don't believe anyone really knew.

"I think it's going to be a while before they catch on. I'm saying this publicly for the first time so if Dixie hears this, it's ok. I told Bruce Prichard this…that first week I don't know what it was..me and Bobby had a great reaction, but the live buzz didn't seem like it was right. I couldn't put a finger on it. Then as the rest of the night went on I was asking around 'where's the buzz?' and everyone was in agreement. Then I started to think, we do all of the TV tapings here, we do most of our PPV's here, so it just felt like another TV taping even though we were live. But last night for some reason had a live buzz to it for the whole show. So I'm hoping this momentum will be picked up.

Crulex1369

[172]Jun 9, 2012
    I gotta agree with both guys, it should be someone who helped build TNA and isn't that active anymore. My dad is guessing Ken Shamrock and I'm guessing Double J. I guess we'll find out Sunday.

And I had no idea Sting was that close to being a WWE star.

telvisnostic

[173]Jun 22, 2012

On returning to Buffalo this Friday night for a TNA Wrestling live event: "We are doing so many fresh new things. We will rock the house this Friday night. The fan interaction is amazing. You would never experience this over there (WWE). It's how I've been my whole career. The fans come first and I always take time to communicate with the fans. At our shows the fan interaction is so cool and so beyond anything else in pro wrestling. You get so close to your favorite stars."

On returning to TNA following the "Victory Road 2011" PPV incident: "I honesty think and feel I'm at the top of my game. I've been through the hard times and dark times. Now being a father I'm so inspired with music, painting and wrestling. Once you see me that is a moment that you will never forget. I'm having the best matches in my life and wrestling the smartest ever. I'm in love with life again."

Why he enjoys the TNA working schedule: "It's huge for the quality of life. Every now and then, the human body needs that week off. At least at TNA when you have six or seven straight days off. Your body needs that. I'm extremely proud of TNA and we are doing a lot of shows that aren't televised. We are working our asses off to get things done. For the quality of life, it is a huge difference to be in TNA."

If he has anything left to accomplish in TNA or pro wrestling: "Nothing - there is nothing more I want to do. I've done everything I've dreamed up. It would be nice to become TNA Champion and end the selfish generation. Man, I can't complain. I have a great life and have a beautiful family. I love TNA and what we are doing. If I never won the title again, I'm fine. I just want to keep my health and avoid any kind of surgeries."

On Impact Wrestling going live in the summer on Spike TV: "It's a huge step for TNA and Impact Wrestling. I couldn't be more happier. I love the fact that if you make a mistake it will be witnessed by everyone who watches that night. I used to be on a show on Monday night that was live and was always excited about it as well. There is no editing involved. It's a huge step and (we will) take it week by week."

http://www.lordsofpain.net/

telvisnostic

[174]Oct 10, 2012

Hulk Hogan appeared on Busted Open, which airs every Monday and Wednesday on Sirius 92 and XM 207 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

Austin Aries as TNA World Heavyweight Champion: "He crossed the line, he came in fighting for a contract in the X division and talent speaks for itself. I watched him, he had a little NWO vibe to him, a little Macho Man vibe to him, and very talented in the ring. Right away, I said everyone keeps one upping each other, and all of a sudden Austin is showing us this crazy new level that we need to function on all the time. He raised the bar. So right away, when there was an opportunity for Austin Aries to be the champ, I was like I really hope everything works out perfectly with him and the belt. And so far, he has really stepped up and changed the look of TNA all of a sudden. He got himself over; he really stepped up and got himself over first. When you talk about Hulk Hogan, the normal traditional wrestling train of thought mind set from Vince Sr., to Vince Jr., to Eric Bischoff, to everybody I ever worked for is, don't talk about the bald headed Hulk Hogan, don't talk about how old Hulk Hogan is, talk about how devastating he is, and the greatest wrestler of all time.

That's always the mindset, and keeping with that old school philosophy, I tell Austin Aries don't talk about your size and being the underdog, it has nothing to do with it. If you're the greatest man in the world, you're the greatest man in the world. At the end of the day, focus on your strong points and that's what he has done and I really think that this kid is going to be around for a long time, actually he's not a kid he's a grown man, but I think he's going to be around for a long time, barring no serious injuries. When I walked in the WWWF, The World Wide Wrestling Federation, when it was 3 W's and an F for Vince Sr., I wasn't the only guy that worked with Andre the Giant, or Swede Hanson, or King Kong Mosca, there were a bunch of guys, Big John Studd, and we all were like okay here is an even playing field and everyone gets a football, let's see how far you run with it. They gave me the ball bro and I ran with it to the goal line and back 20 times. Basically you got to get yourself over. You can push somebody and call them the greatest this or the greatest that.

You can push them, but all of a sudden you can push a guy for 18 months and really put your horse power behind him and all of a sudden somebody like a Jeff Hardy can stand in the ring that hasn't been pushed at all and listen to the crowd, the crowd is telling you who they want. All of a sudden you go, oh my gosh, we have been pushing this guy and doing everything we can to get him over and all of a sudden Jeff Hardy walks out there and the crowd is screaming three times as louder than for the guy you put all your energy into. Sometimes you have to switch gears."

Jeff Hardy in the main event at Bound for Glory: "He's new age, he's ahead of the curve, and he's ahead of the whole curve of the professional wrestling business. He's got his own language that he speaks to his fans, he's an innovator. He's way out there and you have to watch and listen to him to understand. I keep telling everyone this whole business is about selling, it's not about who does the greatest move, who's the greatest, the best, the most phenomenal, it has nothing to do with that. It's the art of selling, making people believe and care about the character. When Jeff Hardy sells, he shines while he sells he doesn't die. He's got something, some magic, and if his offense isn't that great, and you've seen the flip, the kick, or the double leg drop, whatever he does. He really comes alive when he starts selling. The more you beat on him, the longer he stays down, the more it starts rumbling. He's something special; this is going to be a great main event."

Bobby Roode: "My opinion was you put the belt on him as a baby face and he is going to die 7 deaths. So my idea was to stop the craziness, get everybody upset and mad at me, and said you know what guys, it's not his time he's not the guy. Let's get him to be real consistent, solid as a rock, and then when you put the belt on him, it means something. So his progress to this day right now, no matter who wins the belt at Bound for Glory, you can switch the belt back to Bobby Roode off Aries, you can switch the belt off Hardy and back to Bobby Roode, and you can be safe, because Bobby Roode is that damn good . Bobby Roode has come into his own as a heel, he's got credibility now and he doesn't miss a beat. If I'm in the ring with him bro, standing there doing a promo I can tell when something is going to be hard. I've been in the ring with guys, when I'm like oh my gosh I'm going to have to work my ass off to get this match over. When you're in the ring with Bobby Roode it just works now. He's got himself over, he's established as a heel, and now he's wedged in, now if you got in trouble if Austin Aries got hurt or if Jeff Hardy got hurt, you can put the belt on Bobby Roode tomorrow and he'd be gold, he'd be safe."

Devon and Bully Ray: "He has really stepped up, and speaking of Bully Ray, I have to say something about Devon. One of my biggest disappointments this year has been Devon and I really wish he was with the company. You talk about a guy that got in shape, you talk about a guy that carried himself well, you talk about a guy that's a good person, you talk about a guy that went out with fire every night and tore the young guys up, you talk about a guy if you book him on a house show with no security and no ride and you tell him to go to six different media events and go to TV stations and he doesn't bitch and complain and makes all the appearances driving himself on time and still gets to the building before anybody. To lose someone like Devon, it's like what are you thinking! It's been one of my biggest disappointments so far this year. I pray to God we get him back. Now talking about Bully Ray, I hated seeing the team breakup because I loved 3-D. Okay so it happened, and he then got in crazy shape all of a sudden, and he told me, "I want to be the single best main event heel in the business" and I heard that about a year and a half ago, and I'll be damned he's definitely the single best main event heel we have right now to date. And I can't even imagine how much bigger he can get, but he's on fire."

James Storm: "He is a fan favorite, I just think direction wise, it's almost like "the little engine that could", when a company is up and running, you got to get the steam, you got to get build up, before you put the belt on a huge baby face like a Hulk Hogan, or a Rock, or a Stone Cold. I just think that this company needed to be building, and with the roster of heels and baby faces I just really feel that our timing, and it's not his fault, it's not Storms fault, I think our timing was off with this whole thing and me flipping the Roode thing and all the stuff I got my nose into, because they asked me. I think it kind of screwed his momentum up also, but he is such a good baby face and such a constant. I think this whole Roode thing is going to get him back on track and at the end of the day he is going to be better because he is not backing off and he is not discouraged. I think it was a timing thing and nothing to do with him as a baby face or his run."

Impact being live: "Well, it's not the end all be all, at the end of the day its being live and on the road and getting out of the studio atmosphere of course, but that's budget and an executive decision by the Carter family. If you want to be a billion dollar company you have to invest, and I still stand by that. I said to everybody at dinner one night. Russo leaving was very impactful because he was there for so long and he worked really hard and I have noticed the difference storyline wise since Eric Bischoff over rides the story with Eric. Nothing against what Vince Russo did, because he has his style, but what I have noticed with Eric is that storylines have a beginning middle an ending, unless I come in and screw them up. It's just across the board for some reason, everybody is on the same page and same team, oppose to before when everybody was up in the air a little more. For me it has been more consistent except for when I stick my nose in there every once in a while."

Aces and Eights reveal: "I'm not behind it, I'll tell you that much. Everyone keeps saying I'm behind it. Aces and Eights is huge man. We are trying not to copy the NWO, we're trying to be consistent, and we're trying to really raise the bar on this thing. We were in the trenches a couple weeks ago there was supposed to be a quick reveal and it was just going so good that we delayed the reveal. It should be big; we are really onto to something with this one."

Read more at [url] http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/tna[/url]

-I took the salacious stuff out because I just wanted the wreslting parts to be read. The other nonsense that has taken over the BFG talk is in the link above.

telvisnostic

[175]Nov 7, 2012

Christopher Daniels Conference Call recap (various sites)

-Chris Thomas opened the call by hyping Impact and Turning Point.

-Daniels said he was thrilled with where he was in his career. He said he was surprised that he and Kazarian would find so much success so quickly. He claimed they were the best tag team in all of wrestling.

-Daniels talked about how he and Kazarian met in 1996 when he moved to California, and that they became friends while working together in TNA. He said their current characters have blossomed because they are both really snarky guys and that TNA creative has given them opportunities on the mic and they have taken advantage of it.

-Daniels said he does see himself as a future World Champion. He said he was closer now than he has ever been, and he will take advantage of any opportunities given.

-Daniels said he hopes people consider him a locker room leader, and he's going to continue to work hard to be a leader.

-All of the gimmicks Daniels and Kazaarian use, like the appletini, he and Kazarian come up with. He said some of the things they do come from people daring them to do things, but mostly they think these things up themselves.

-Daniels said the Claire storyline could have gone better, but he felt like it accomplished the goal of making AJ Styles look more babyface and he and Kazarian more heelish. He added that the actress who played Claire wasn't used to a live crowd and they probably should have prepared her better.

-Daniels said he and Kazarian were like the Stadler and Waldorf of TNA

-Daniels was asked to compare this team with Kazarian to others he had been in with TNA and Daniels said he feels like this team is getting a better creative look because they see that the team is bigger than the sum of its parts, whereas in the past he was more often looked as a singles guy in a tem with another singles guy.

-Xema Ion, Sonjay Dutt, and Kenny King were three names Daniels tossed out as great young talent in TNA. He also put over the Gut Check gimmick and hyped Christian York as proof of what kind of talent you can get from Gut Check.

-Daniels said he would love to transition into acting should the opportunity present itself, and that being in the next Avengers movie would be amazing.

-Daniels said he was surprised Gut Check hasn't had a tag team yet, but when it did, he absolutely thought he and Kazarian should be the guys to test the team.

-Daniels said that his career is coming to an end, but he hopes it isn't soon, and he still has lots of goals. He wants to be World Champion, he wants he and Kazarian to go down as one of the greatest tag teams of all time, but he also knows that he is very happy that he has been able to make his living in wrestling. That concluded the call.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article10028232.shtml

Edited on 11/07/2012 12:35pm

telvisnostic

[176]Mar 10, 2013

Devon interview (various sites):

WWF breaking up the Dudley Boyz in 2002: "At that point we weren't ready for it, even though Vince wanted us to do it because he saw me doin' something and he saw Bubba doin' something. I remember when we were told about it, I wasn't too happy about it and neither was he. We both thought it was the wrong time to do it, and it was, because we didn't make it as singles competitors and I think that hurt us, because when that happened and that flopped, people just thought 'Oh the Dudley Boyz couldn't do it on their own' and that bothered me for many, many years. which is why it was so important that when we separated in TNA, because here we come to TNA, we conquer there, we do excellent in Japan, and helped put TNA on the map, we were ecstatic about that.

"Once we were done, and we knew we'd won the NWA tag titles, the TNA tag titles, so successful in Japan, we found there was nothing left for us to do. Now you look back at that moment in 2002, there was still a lot for us to do. We were growing and still learning at that particular point in time, but then you move forward to TNA, here we go, it's the opportunity of a lifetime, now we can prove to those who said the Dudleyz couldn't do it by themselves, to prove them wrong. Bully Ray's doing what he's doing and now with the whole Aces and Eights thing, everything has a time and place, you've got to know when that time is. 2002 wasn't the time to break the Dudley Boyz up and I don't think people understood that, it wasn't that we couldn't do it on our own, it just wasn't the right time. But now, I'm in Aces and Eights and he's marrying Brooke with Hulk as his father in law, and we're both experiencing success."

What really happened when he left TNA last summer: We couldn't come to an agreement on a contract. A similar thing happened with WWE in 2005. Bubba were doing things separate at the time, normally we did our contracts together but at this particular point in time we did it separate. That's basically what it was, we couldn't come to an agreement. I held no ill will towards the company, I just knew what I had to do to make my family survive, it's getting close to winding this thing down and you've gotta look out for your best interests. We just couldn't agree financially. Everyone thought it was part of an angle that was being done, but it really wasn't, I was gone. When I made that announcement, I was gone, I was not coming back. Then a new offer came in two months later and again it was something where I wasn't looking to come back but now with the whole thing with Aces and Eights, you know, I love it. It's something I never thought I'd get involved with until they came to me with it. I'm just happy.

Will Devon and Bully Ray ever be on the same side again: Absolutely not. I don't want the Dudley Boyz or Team 3D, I don't want it. As far as I'm concerned it's dead and over. This has nothing personally to do with Bubba and I. Listen, I've waited over 15 years to be in this position, I'm not moving backwards, I'm moving forward. I hope he feels the same. People say 'Oh guys, you should be like KISS and do it one more time' I don't want one more time. I'm not being selfish, I'm not being egotistical but there's nothing left for us to do. For us to be together again or on the same page....Edge and Christian, The Hardyz went their own way, it's time for us to go our own way. ECW, we accomplished, WWF and WWE, we accomplished. TNA, we accomplished. All Japan, New Japan, Hustle. We've done everything there is to do. Maybe we'll be on the same page 20 years from now at the Hall of Fame when we're inducted but that's about it. Some of the fans, they've gotta let it go, they've gotta let ECW go and let the Dudleyz go.

What to expect this Sunday at Lockdown: "You're gonna see Sting get his ass whooped and his team mates, whoever feels they wanna take on Aces and Eights. We're gonna go out there, we're gonna rule just like we always do, just like we did in 2012 and 2013. There isn't anyone out there that can stop the total domination of Aces and Eights. We'll rule today, tomorrow and we'll rule in the future. Lockdown is gonna turn out just like Bound For Glory, where Aces and Eights outsmart TNA and doing whatever it takes to get a victory over TNA and their team."

JLe1223

[177]Mar 11, 2013
    • level: 20

telvisnostic wrote:

For us to be together again or on the same page....Edge and Christian, The Hardyz went their own way, it's time for us to go our own way. ECW, we accomplished, WWF and WWE, we accomplished. TNA, we accomplished. All Japan, New Japan, Hustle. We've done everything there is to do. Maybe we'll be on the same page 20 years from now at the Hall of Fame when we're inducted but that's about it. Some of the fans, they've gotta let it go, they've gotta let ECW go and let the Dudleyz go.

Well that separation ended quickly.

Edited on 03/11/2013 10:31pm

telvisnostic

[178]Jul 8, 2013

How he got in to TNA: "Through David Lagana. I worked with David Lagana in a few places actually Ring of Honor, NWA Hollywood and then he booked me for Ring Ka King in India. Then he got hired to be a writer in TNA and they were looking for guys. He suggested me to Al Snow and Al Snow saw footage of me and decided to make me a GutCheck contestant. It kind of happened quickly. They called me up and Al Snow asked if I would be interested and I said yes. He said, 'Alright, I'll see you next week'. There wasn't anything I had to sit on really."

On TNA GutCheck: They literally don't tell you anything. I was the second ever guy to do GutCheck. The first GutCheck was Alex Silva. There was that whole thing where Ric Flair changed his decision on Alex Silva. You see, I don't know how much of that is really a shoot or not. I think they brought me in particularly to be a 'No' because they just needed somebody from the indys to make this seem more legitimate and told 'no.' I think that was a work on their part. I think when I wrestled and I had a good match against Austin Aries, thank God I had to wrestle Austin Aries, then I came in and did my promos and stuff like that, even before I was in front of the judges, they weren't telling me I was going to get a 'No', but I had a few people telling me things.

"Like Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan came up to me and said, 'Hey, we like your look, we think you are good. No matter what happens out there, we want to do something with you hopefully down the line'. They were hinting that I was going to get a 'No' vote. I was already going in there portraying a heel character so I knew going into this that I wasn't just going to go out there, be told 'No' and walk away with my tail between my legs. I'm going to be adamant about it. I was going to be myself, a guy who has been told 'No' for the last 12 years by major companies. After I did that promo, there was talk of me going around. They were saying to themselves, 'How can we use this guy?' Before that, there was nothing planned for me."

Backstage following the GutCheck segment: "Well, I don't know if they do this anymore but there were cameras all over the place. Everyone was still filming me. I had an argument with Al Snow in the back. Was it a worked shoot? I don't know. He was yelling at me, I thought it was pretty intense. I knew cameras were on too so I wasn't sure. Once the cameras cut, Eric Bischoff approached me and told me, 'That was incredible! That's what the segment should be! That's what live TV is all about!' He has a producer's mind. He was the one who came up to me and was the most vocal about it all."

On Taz backstage following the GutCheck: "Taz is kind of a hard-ass. I think he knew but I don't think he liked me right off the bat because of that. He's a prideful person, he is very proud of his wrestling and I was bad-mouthing his wrestling. I think he got to the point where he realized that I was doing anything I could to get a job."

On signing with TNA: "I actually got a call from Bruce Prichard the next day saying, 'We got a contract for you'. I signed it and faxed it back to them. At that point, I don't really know if they knew where the storyline was going to go at that point. They just wanted to capitalize on any hype that happened."

On teaming With Matt Morgan: Don't know, it was a little hard to pull off because Matt is this unstoppable monster. I'm just this small guy. Matt would just look stupid if I just keep costing him all of these wins. I don't think it went the way they planned it. I don't know if this didn't go the way they planned or if they just didn't think about how long they could keep this up. It just gets to the point where you think, how long is Matt going to stick with this guy that isn't winning. We were tagging against Chavo and Hernandez. I think they used me as a fall guy to keep Matt Morgan protected."

On the negative rumors about TNA contracts: "I had a great contract. I got a monthly salary and a bonus whenever I did wrestle. So yeah, I had a great contract. They said, 'Hey, I want to pay you' and I said, 'Great, I like getting paid'."

On his release from TNA: "I knew there had been some office cuts and to be honest, I knew after the Matt Morgan stuff as they used me so sparingly. I think I did a PPV match that was unannounced. I did the referee stuff with the Knockouts. Then I did the random X-division 3-way match so. When I wasn't being used, I was at home collecting paychecks, so I kind of knew that this was too good to be true. They are paying me to sit at home for months now. Part of me said, I know Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff like me so there's some pull there so maybe they are waiting to come up with something for me. I got the hint myself when I was just sitting at home getting paid."

On being notified of his release: "Al Snow called me and said 'This isn't anything against you or your work, this is just budget cuts'. I know they are on the road now and that's much more expensive. I think they are just trying to make the company as profitable as possible. It was a decision they had to make. They had to cut guys without affecting the current storylines. I'm not bitter about it. I understand why. I don't have anything bad to say about anyone there. It's just a business thing."

-Various sites

telvisnostic

[179]Jul 8, 2013

by ~KINGofPEEPS

On his Triple Threat Match on Impact with Austin Aries and Manik: "Well, yeah it ended up being that way (a singles with Aries), Sabin vs. Aries thanks to Aces and Eights interfering of course as they usually do. Luckily, the Main Event Mafia came out there and kept them at bay so I was able to just be—after they injured TJ or Manik whichever name you want to go by now. After they injured him, and we were able to actually have a wrestling match with no interference, so that was—that was something special to me because it was just a straight up wrestling match. And we got to do it just one on one and you don't get to see many one on one in the X Division nowadays with the three way rule. So it was pretty cool."

On doing the 'Hail Sabin' off the second rope: "Yeah, it was reckless. Obviously, we beat each other up pretty bad but you know you had to. The stakes were huge, it was for the X division title and Destination X is only a couple weeks away. And whoever has the X division title when that event rolls around can exchange it for a shot at the World Heavyweight Title. So obviously you could see how much it meant to me and Austin in the ring."

On the Triple Threat Match being a possible contender for Match of the Year and people not seeing it because it was on a holiday: "Well, I mean if people didn't get to see it hopefully they got to DVR it or record it or whatever and watch it later. If they can't then hopefully it at least created some sort of buzz around the show. You know what I mean, that people will want to tune into the feature because hopefully they can see more matches between myself and Aries again."

On coming back, winning the title, losing the title and then winning again creating the buzz: "I think so too. I think that all the twists and turns makes everything unexpected. It makes you anticipate seeing what's next. It makes you want to see the show. Yeah I think that just the last couple of months have been really good and I have been really enjoying everything I have been doing."

On if there was ever any doubt that he would be in a position to challenge for the World Heavyweight Title again: "I've never been in this position before, really. I've never had a World Title shot actually. I've been In TNA for over ten years and have never gone for the World Title once. So this is—I'm happy just to be in this position. I'm happy to see that my hard work, everything that all my dedication over the last ten years is starting to pay off."

-Various sites...

Crulex1369

[180]Jul 9, 2013
    Joey Ryan sounds real cool about not being bitter on being released. Sounds like a hard worker who just happened to be the most expendable.