We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

TNA Pay-Per-View Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on In Season

Mark Maddens TNA rant.

Randyspeeps

[1]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 34

Discuss

Mark Madden wrote:

YOU NEVER DISAPPOINT ME…

...because you ALWAYS disappoint me.

The TNA Challenge is going about like I expected: Lots and lots of incoherency. Lots and lots of name-calling. Facts and points well-made? Not so much.

Truth is, I've received several dozen e-mails regarding the TNA Challenge, and not one has articulately verbalized anything TNA doesright. And the bottom line is, to define something as "being done right,"it hasto be getting results. Many of those responding bleated endlessly about "potential."

But "potential" is just another way of saying you might get your ass kicked. TNA has been around for eight years. A.J. Styles has wrestled for 12 years. At some point, you go from having potential to hitting your sell-by date. To being a flop. That's no knock on A.J. specifically. I like him as a worker. But some guys just don't draw. Or, sometimes, good performers are never put in a position to draw. Sometimes good performers are dragged down by a permanently damaged brand name.

Sometimes good performers need the machine. Jeff Hardy: Star in WWE. Jeff Hardy: Bum in TNA.

Some guys are good within context. His unfortunate and unnecessary use of profanity aside, Mr. Anderson has had a nice run in TNA. But it hasn't led to anything. Ratings and buyratesstay low. Kurt Angle and Ric Flair have always been foolproof. But it hasn't led to anything. You've got to draw.

TNA is a permanently damaged brand name. The Second Coming could show up at the Impact Zone with a signed affidavit from God swearing that He was the real deal, and it wouldn't matter. Casual fans don't take TNA seriously. WCW fans haven't flocked. WWE fans see TNA as second-rate.

I've saidmore than oncethat the best thing for TNA to do would be fold. I wasn't kidding. There is NO WAY to make TNA work. It's been too bad for too long. WCW was dangerously close to that point before Hulk Hogan upped its visibility. Eric Bischoff having the guts to go toe-to-toe on Monday night made WCW viable. The nWo invasion put WCW over the top. It's pretty clear you can't go home again.

The best TNA can ever hope for is a well-booked product that piques the interest of its hardcore loyalists. And with its current ownership and administration, TNA can't even hope for that.

I tried to write a positive TNA column. Even a parody-style column that would praise TNA. Can't do it. There's no angle to take.

TNA's lot in the wrestling business seems to be to give stars limited by age and/or physical shortcomings a limited work schedule and a decent paycheck. To allow performers to audition for WWE, to prove they're worthy of going to (or returning to) the big show. To make sure guys who have not earned the right to spend a lifetime working in wrestling (but sure think they have) can avoid ever having to get a real job. To let the divas/knockouts rotate between WWE and TNA, thus screwing ALL the guys, not just those from one company. To make sure Bischoff has access to a network's ear (which must surely have been his purpose all along). And to give Vince Russo a place to martyr himself.

Ideally, TNA would act, at the very least, as WWE's conscience. In theory, WWE would feel obligated to properly use its performers by way of keeping them from going to TNA to do damage to WWE.

But TNA isn't popular enough for that to even remotely worry WWE. TNA is the tree that falls in the forest.

Which brings us to Daniel Bryan.

TNA should at least do the Internet wrestling community and dirt-sheet junkies a favor by inquiring after Bryans services. If he turns down TNA, then his dismissal from WWE is a work. If Bryan oins TNA, he wouldn't be a bad get. He'dcome to Spike TV with a small degree of steam.

I don't buy that "best wrestler in the world" nonsense, but maybe it was always meant to be hype, not proposed fact. Bryan probably has some sort of no-compete regarding TNA, but that doesn't mean he couldn't commit to start when it runs out. Bryan could come to TNA, and they could ruin him.

It's what TNA does. Guys like Desmond Wolfe, the Pope, Styles, Beer Money, Matt Morgan, Hernandez, all the guys who allegedly have "potential"…if they have so much "potential," how come the ratings suck? The booking is awful, but you can only blame that so much. Fans can see through bad booking and anoint stars. Consider Rocky Maivia as a grinning nitwit. Doesn't happen often, but it can. In TNA, it won't.

I'm so happy that Jim Ross didn't take over TNA. Happy for J.R., that is. It was a no-win situation, and it would have driven him crazy.

Jim Ross in TNA would have been the wrestling equivalent of the '60s TV sitcom, "Green Acres." Until then, most TV sitcoms dropped somebody weird in the middle of sanity. "Green Acres" was the first TV sitcom to drop somebody normal in the middle of insanity. Ross could have been TNA's Oliver Wendell Douglas. The guy who knows what he's doing surrounded by those who don't. Those who don't, win. There's more of them. Dixie Carter could be Lisa. Bischoff could be Mr. Haney, the flim-flam man.

So, another anti-TNA column comes to a close. You don't like being criticized? Don't suck.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 52

I don't like him much because he's a smug, arrogant and obnoxious person, but he's right on some points.

I disagree with closing the company down. When you do that, where else will they go and don't tell me the place up north, because most of those people might get stuck in FCW for years so that they act and talk a certain way.

As for TNA:

-The booking is just pure ****.

-The angles are decent at best.

-They need to get out of Orlando, they really do.

-The company needs an identity. They had it, but it got **** on when those 2 guys came in. They stood out with the Six Sided Ring, solid Woman's wrestling and the **** X-Division.

-If the rumors of Heyman coming in are true, get rid of the two they brought in because the ratings really haven't changed.

Crulex1369

[3]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 27

I actually disagree with him saying that Anderson's gimmick is unnecessary. I think TNA expanded on what WWE gave him by going from generic cocky guy who said his name twice to all that, plus a renegade attitude who knows he's a bad guy, but doesn't care. Plus, as far as I can see, that "unnecessary" gimmick got him over more than he was in WWE. I know he's talking about the profanity part of it, but what, is he three? Does the A-word make him cry? It's a real world word, and there are worse ones out there, so he better get used to it. Oy. Still, like Telvis, I think Madden is a smug SOB who needs a life, but when you have a point, you have a point, and he has some. Interesting read.

Edited on 06/18/2010 6:54pm

telvisnostic

[4]Jun 18, 2010

I agree, the Anderson gimmick is quite good. I don't want him to be a face guy because he was such a great heel. He keeps talking about who's drawing people in and Anderson is one of them.

qfrodri85

[5]Jun 20, 2010
    I don't think even Heyman under complete control can rise the ratings.

telvisnostic

[6]Jun 20, 2010

I'll go 60/40 on that.

telvisnostic

[7]Jun 25, 2010

Speeps, since you started the thread, how do you feel about it?

qfrodri85

[8]Jul 4, 2010
    telvisnostic wrote:

telvisnostic

[9]Jul 6, 2010

It's true though. Wink

Randyspeeps

[10]Jul 6, 2010

telvisnostic wrote:

You asked for it...

Madden makes a lot of sense. TNA does not know what they're doing. They've been stuck in neutral for so long that they don't remember which way is up or which is down.

Let's look at the facts. The only thing TNA did to create a big buzz was bring in Hogan, and a billion other old superstars. Ratings went up for awhile and then it went back to normal. Why? Is it because Hogan can't draw? Hardy can't draw? (He did in WWE)Flair can't draw (He did in WWE)? Hogan, Hardy and Flair can draw. TNA doesn't know how to make it happen though. WWE played to their strenghts.

TNA gives the fans what they think they want. TNA thinks the fans want blood, curse words, video game like wrestling matches and beer. How far has that gotten them? I have always and will always believe that the average wrestling fan has no idea what they want. We contradict ourselves. It's fact. One week we want blood, the next we want a good clean wrestling match. One week we want gimmick matches, the next we want a simple tag match. Question is how can TNA feed a group of fans that have no idea what they want?

And Dixie Carter is an idiot. She believes that she's surrounded by people who want to help her company. I think she's surrounded by wrestlers looking for a final big paycheck. Hogan probably called Flair and said "Lets collect a paycheck before this company tanks." Don't believe me? The Nasty Boyz, Scott Hall, Val Venis, and Xpac are happy with their last TNA stint. They understand that they can't make money in the WWE, so why not mooch off of TNA...they accept anyone. Don't believe me? Scott Hall will take his intoxicated carcus to TNA offices in a few months and be reinstated; how do I know this? Historydoesn't lie.

Hogans idea of fixing TNA was putting his name on a logo and calling himself president. Hogan thinks his name sells. Hogan thinks he's still a top draw. He's not...in TNA The only thing Hogan and Flair can offer us is nostalgia. Problem is, they have no history in TNA, so we're constantly reminded of WCW and WWE. The hall of fame ring thing is a perfect example. What sense did it make to center a storyline around property provided by the WWE (the competition)?

Which brings me to my final point. TNA needs to stops trying to compete with the WWE, because there is no competition. Way too many times do I find a WWE reference on TNA programming. If you're truly better than the competition, prove it. They can't because everything they do looks second rate.

Finally, Maddens WWE machine is spot on. If the WWE wants you to be a star, you will be. It's that simple. The WWE brings you as far they want you to go. You don't need to have talent, they'll take what you do best and magnify it. (Something TNA needs to understand. Take what your company does best and magnify it. TNA took what their company did best and destroyed it.)TNA doesn't have that machine, and they desparately need it.

Hopefully you don't think I'm a smug But the guy makes a lot of sense.

Edited on 07/06/2010 8:47pm
    Edited 4 total times.

telvisnostic

[11]Jul 6, 2010

You weren't smug or obnoxisous, you said your piece and you are right. TNA needs help and needs to find their identity and stop trying to compete with the big dogs, because they just not there at all.

It's like ROH taking on the WWE, that would be murder there.

As for us not knowing what we want, that can be said for any fan of anything.

telvisnostic

[12]Sep 16, 2010

Mark Madden has done it again. he's made me agree with him 2 times in a row. That rarely happens.

Mark Madden wrote:
    People ask why I hate TNA. I don't. TNA just sucks. People ask why I write about TNA so much if I think it sucks. Good question.

I am NOT a WWE fan. Grew up in the promotion's original territory, but never liked it. Formulaic and repetitive, then as now. Hated the Hulkamania era. I'll never forgive WWE for trying to minimize Ric Flair during his initial run. I've respected many WWE performers, but since WCW folded, WWE isn't giving the people what they want. The people are getting what the McMahon family LIKES. To varying degrees, WWE is a vanity promotion. Lack of competition has made the rot set in.

At its best, WWE is OK. Sports entertainment, my ass. It's f***ing WRESTLING.

I may have been the bullpen catcher in WCW, but I was on the team. We kicked WWE's ass. Didn't last forever, but it happened. Can't be taken away. WCW's defeat of WWE caused WWE to dig deep. WWE came up big.

No need for WWE to come up big now. They don't, and they won't.

If you want the pro wrestling scene in America to be as good as it can, to be interesting and creative, you must certainly recognize that there needs to be a viable No. 2 promotion pressuring WWE. An alternative.

TNA is not it. The people who run TNA are not capable. The wrestlers who perform in TNA are, by and large, not capable.

Not only does TNA suck, TNA makes wrestling in general suck.

I thought wrestling's most recent peak came in the mid-'90s. WWE and WCW battling and counterpunching, ECW nipping at both their heels creatively.

Compare then to now. You can't. But nobody's embarrassed. Nobody shows any sign of being challenged. Everybody wants to keep their job. Very few are interested in DOING their job.

That's why I constantly bury the mangled carcass that is Total Non-Stop Action wrestling. If enough people joined me, maybe somebody would get a fire lit under their dead ass and things might get intriguing again.

I also bury TNA because I like always being right. WHAMMY!

Don't forget, this isn't art. At best, wrestling is theatre's lowest form. It's to be judged by one thing and one thing only: DRAWING MONEY. Everything should be designed to lead to one thing and one thing only: DRAWING MONEY. Anybody working in wrestling who disagrees is a fool. Anybody watching wrestling who disagrees is a mark. Debate workrate all you want. Define your personal preferences. Keep all your five-star matches. I'd rather have a crap match that DRAWS MONEY. (You can have both.)

DRAWING MONEY = fan approval. DRAWING MONEY = being over.

If you could pick any wrestler from throughout history to start a promotion, you'd have to pick Wrestlemania III-era Hulk Hogan. I HATED Wrestlemania III-era Hulk Hogan. But he drew more money than anybody, ever.

BY THE WAY…

WWE sucks, too. Just not as bad. WWE has more compelling characters. Even TNA couldn't ruin Jericho and Cena. Uh, probably not.

Like TNA, WWE has gratuitous gaps in logic. Consider Jericho's handicap match with The Hart Dynasty on Raw. ("JUST READ THE E-MAIL, IDIOT!" Priceless!) Why would The Hart Dynasty sacrifice its 2-on-1 edge by having one member voluntarily leave the cage? Logic dictates that both members would stay in the cage to deliver a prolonged 2-on-1 beating, thus maximizing the chance of victory. When David Hart Smith left the cage, the announcers should have pointed out that he made a mistake.

Instead, Jericho won, beating Tyson Kidd 1-on-1 – as reputation dictates he should – while Smith stood outside, stupid and helpless. DUMB.

Deadnight-Majin

[13]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 18

So he thinks drawing money is all that matters in wrestling, yet he hates the character that arguably drew the most money ever?

He also seems to think John Cena has a good character.

telvisnostic

[14]Sep 16, 2010

Money is what makes wrestling mean a lot. You could have the best worker in the world that is not Ric Flair and if they don't draw, they get put elsewhere. Malenko, Finlay, Regal, Christopher Daniels and others are all great workers, but if they became WORLD champions, how much money would they make the company?

He's right about Hogan, he is a terrible wrestler, but great seller and promo man. He put butts in the seats. He made you want to either see him lose or win.

I must have missed the John Cena comment. I have read things about him on other sites that say he is not as genuinely nice as he seems, but hey, you never know.

Deadnight-Majin

[15]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 18

telvisnostic wrote:

Money is what makes wrestling mean a lot. You could have the best worker in the world that is not Ric Flair and if they don't draw, they get put elsewhere. Malenko, Finlay, Regal, Christopher Daniels and others are all great workers, but if they became WORLD champions, how much money would they make the company?

He's right about Hogan, he is a terrible wrestler, but great seller and promo man. He put butts in the seats. He made you want to either see him lose or win.

I must have missed the John Cena comment. I have read things about him on other sites that say he is not as genuinely nice as he seems, but hey, you never know.

I agree with what you say, but I believe Mr Madden went a bit over the top.

The Cena comment was regarding Cena's wrestling persona, not John Cena's real life character. He says "WWE has more compelling characters. Even TNA couldn't ruin Jericho and Cena."

telvisnostic

[16]Sep 16, 2010

And he's right, they could ruin both those characters.

Randyspeeps

[17]Sep 20, 2010
    Mark Madden is spot on once again.

That was the first time that I've seen him rant about the WWE.

telvisnostic

[18]Sep 20, 2010

He's done it before. It's usually just 1 or two sentences.

Randyspeeps

[19]Sep 20, 2010

Randyspeeps wrote:

And Dixie Carter is an idiot. She believes that she's surrounded by people who want to help her company. I think she's surrounded by wrestlers looking for a final big paycheck. Hogan probably called Flair and said "Lets collect a paycheck before this company tanks." Don't believe me? The Nasty Boyz, Scott Hall, Val Venis, and Xpac are happy with their last TNA stint. They understand that they can't make money in the WWE, so why not mooch off of TNA...they accept anyone. Don't believe me? Scott Hall will take his intoxicated carcus to TNA offices in a few months and be reinstated; how do I know this? History doesn't lie.

Wrestlezone wrote:
    Despite being arrested back in May and a current stint in rehab, The Wrestling Observer is reporting that TNA President Dixie Carter has discussed the idea of bringing Scott Hall back to the company when he completes his treatment.

Spot on Speeps.

telvisnostic

[20]Sep 20, 2010

This dude shouldn't be given any more chances, period!

Edited on 10/16/2010 6:59pm