To Rome With Love

CBS (ended 1971)

To Rome With Love Fan Reviews (1)

5.7
  • One of the last great CBS sitcoms, before television got more "mature".

I can remember watching this show as a kid when it was still airing on CBS, but I haven't seen it since, fully 36 years ago as of this writing. I remember it starred John Forsythe, as college professor Michael Endicott, the father of three daughters, sort of an inversion of My Three Sons, another Don Fedderson production. After his wife's death, he left the States with his daughters to teach at the American Overseas School of Rome, a real school. There was occasional interaction with characters from other Don Fedderson series, such as one episode with Jody, Buffy, and Mr. French from Family Affair visiting Rome, and another with a few of the characters from My Three Sons, also in Rome. The locale made it one of the more interesting of TV family sitcoms. The addition of Walter Brennan, as Michael's father-in-law (another inversion of My Three Sons) in the second season was a plus, but unfortunately not enough to save the show.

As a side note, Italian Member of Parliament Alessandra Mussolini, granddaughter of the late Italian dictator and niece of Sophia Loren, was a graduate of the school, and was school age at about the time the series aired. Hmm, do you suppose she could have been one of Endicotts students? Someone, please, bring it back, TV Land, DVD, whatever!