Todd McFarlane's Spawn

HBO (ended 1999)

Todd McFarlane's Spawn Fan Reviews (8)

• Hope to get into again

1.3 (11)
  • This is truley one of the best superhero shows from the 90's

I have to say this is one of the best superhero shows from the 90's. Spawn is one of the best anit-heros of alltime, he will tear people apart or just shoot them or do anything to kill people. Now the Sawn movie it didn't really have that Spawn feel to it but the visuals were amazing for a 1997 movie, but i have to say the Spawn animated series delivers on what Spawn is all about.Killing and more Killing!! Its a shame it didn't run as long as it should have do to the fact that HBO thought that cartoons should only be for kids. Two thumbs way up on the series and lets hope they will make a new series and a new movie:D
  • revived my faith in the superhero genre

Its not very often that you run into something like spawn. I don't read comic books, or actually like superheros at all, I admit I have seen all the spiderman and x-men films that are currently on release but that's as far as I went into that corner of entertainment until now. I never thought anyone could blend my love of horror and violence with superhero and make it so damn entertaining. This show is great, its dark, creepy, violent, confusing and at a lot of points downright distubing. Its sorta like one of my favourite video games killer 7 in that in the way of it using animated violence crossed with disturbing hellish imagery to try and drive you insane, its weird, I'll give it that. If I sit down to watch an episode of spawn I can't guarentee I'll be the same when I get up again twenty five minutes later, I just love the impact this show has had on me, I've only seen episodes 1-3 (mainly because its so damn difficult to get hold of here in the UK) and I'm wondering why I hadn't heard of this show before now. I mean, all three seasons are on general release here but not that many people know of it, which is a damn shame as its one of the best cartoons I've seen in years
  • Spawn had the kind of stuff you want in a TV show

Spawn is a good show, it has the depth that the comics have, that of course has the same story, that doesnt go far from it, i dont even think it does go away a bit from it. The story starts off a bit slow, but picks up really quick, the action is great, but the shows really dark aspect to it is a nice change, but the dark atmosphere, meaning the shadeing and not being able to see a hell of alot sort of bugs me, but i dont care. the show has alot of adult aspects to it, so its not really ment for children. the animation is great, the voice acting is some of the best out there. but over all this show was and still is the best comic show ever!
  • A great show that needs to be finished.

Spawn was one of those gems that I discovered after it had been cancelled/ discontinued, so I got to see the entire series uncut and in its full glory.
    Following the tried and true premise of Al Simmons being an assassin for the government being killed, and then making a deal with Malbulga (don't ask me to spell that right, it's Satan, just in the comic form) to lead his army to see his wife. Between the movie, this show, and the comics there has been three different versions of this. This version has him killed off by his partner, and ordered by Jason Wynn, his boss. Although, in the movie, he did Al in himself.
    What was great about this show was the fact that it wouldn't shy away from the horrific violence that Al could inflict as Spawn. Also, Clown was a purely disgusting and added a great deal to the show. Only problem, was that the show ended with a huge cliffhanger that leaves you begging for more. Catch this on DVD, it's unique and great!
  • Al Simmons’s story has been told like never before. Great show.

As a fan of Todd Mcfarlane’s comic version of Spawn, as well as the movie, I was excited to hear about the Series. The first thing that struck me about the series is how dark it was. It wasn’t some Saturday morning kids show, it was adult and it had lots of balls. Sex, violence and swearing made the comic book come to life in a great way. The show managed to fit a few issues storylines in a just one episode, without losing any major or minor things. The characters from the pages came alive, voiced over by people (I don’t know their names) including - Trevor Goodchild from “Aeon Flux” and Deep Throat from “The X-files”. Al Simmons’s story has been told like never before. Great show.
  • A good apology for the movie.

The movie was one of the worst I had seen in my life. I did not have high hope for the animated series but I was very much surprised. The dialogue and, bizarrely enough, the acting are a hundred times as good as the film and the plot and characters are also much more intriguing.
    This is the ultimate expression of the Spawn character, engaging plots, amazing artwork and a propensity to the excellent. A good job was done trimming out the comic book, and improving and streamlining the storyboards.
    This is a very mature cartoon in every single way. And its fun.
  • Spawn is one of the best animated series.

Spawn is a really great animated TV show made for adults to enjoy.
    I have been a big fan of Spawn for a very long time although it is unsatisfying to watch season three and knowing it ends there when the show needed more but hey there will be a new Spawn show coming soon so hopefully they will get to do there thing with that show and I hope it becomes a great success.
    This show has very well written scripts and the animation is just so real and awesome.
    I couldn’t really ask for a better animated show then this. As far as animation goes if you want something that has action, gore, and violence then Spawn is it but other than that most people would rather enjoy something like family guy or so on.