Tom and Jerry Forums

CBS (ended 1980)

When Chuck Jones took over...

Dwilson4

[1]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 1

In my opinion, the first 100 or so episodes were superb. However, when Chuck Jones started directing, the series went downhill. The characters horrible and I just didn't find it funny anymore...

Does anybody know why / when Chuck Jones started getting involved?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TeamRose

[2]May 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    I agree was it also Chuck Jones who mess up wacky, insane but lovable Daffy Duck image into egotisical money hunger Duck who only now gets use to make Bugs Bunny look good. If that's the same Chuck Jone your talking about then yeah he's my mortal enemy I'll never forgive him for what he did to Daffy.

cartooner1994

[3]May 16, 2007
    • level: 9
    I liked the Chuck Jones episodes, I like the new Daffy, and I like that version better than the Gene Dietch version. END OF STORY.

ScreamingViking

[4]May 23, 2007
    • level: 6
    Chuck Jones won less acadamy awards and they weren't the same animation and it wasn't the same classic show

W-B

[5]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 39
    Dwilson4 wrote:
    In my opinion, the first 100 or so episodes were superb. However, when Chuck Jones started directing, the series went downhill. The characters horrible and I just didn't find it funny anymore...

Does anybody know why / when Chuck Jones started getting involved?

Mr. Jones first began directing T&J's for MGM in 1963, after he was fired by Warner Bros. just before they shut down their cartoon studio. However bad Jones' T&J's were, however, they made the 13 T&J's directed by Gene Deitch in Czechoslovakia between 1960 and 1962 look like Rudy Larriva's 1965-66 stretch of Road Runnercartoons in comparison. Deitch's run with the cat-and-mouse team, in the eyes of the majority of "toon heads," was even more abysmal (if possible) than Jones'.

Unless you actually like Mr. Deitch's efforts . . .

Stephen0684

[6]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 8

Jones and his team made a total of 34 cartoon shorts, (36 total,) until MGM closed the studio in late 1960s. Other then the Dot and the Line cartoon, none of Jone's cartoons at MGM were even nonmiated. That one did win an Academy Award. My point is while Dietch never not an Oscar for his shorts at MGM, at least Chuck Jones did. (Even though it wasn't for his Tom and Jerry cartoons.) Overall, Chuck did a better job then Dietch did.

Milkman26789Z

[7]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 2

Chuck Jones may have took some of their funny but Gene Dietch took their everything. =_=