Too Close for Comfort

Follow
ABC (ended 1987)

USER EDITOR

bleech224

 

7.7
User Rating
98 votes

SHOW REVIEWS
By TV.com Users

Write A Review
Too Close for Comfort

Show Summary

Too Close for Comfort first aired in November of 1980 on ABC at a time when sitcoms were not popular. The series was based on the British sitcom, Keep it In the Family which had premiered in January 1980. Too Close for Comfort starred television veteran, Ted Knight as Henry Rush, a middle-aged professional illustrator who's claim to fame was penning "Cosmic Cow" a kiddie cartoon. Muriel was Henry's wife and successful free-lance photographer. The series began when their two daughters, Jackie and Sara moved into the downstairs apartment of the San Francisco town house. Jackie was the brunette who worked at a bank and the somewhat more sensible one while Sara was the sexy blond who was a freshman at San Francisco State College. Also in the cast, included Monroe Ficus, Sara's friend who was constantly a source of annoyance for Henry and seemed to always get under his feet. As the years went by, April, Henry's hippie niece dropped in and out, Muriel became pregnant at 42 and gave birth to a son, Andrew, and Muriel's nagging, mother, Iris was seen adding more grief to Henry's life. ABC canceled the series in 1983 but it soon was picked up for first-run syndication (a trend that sitcoms began to follow in the mid-80s). In 1986, the series changed names and went by The Ted Knight Show and ran for one additional season with minor changes. Henry, Muriel, and Andrew moved north of San Francisco to Mill Valley where Henry now owned 49% of a weekly newspaper, The Marin Bugler. Monroe was still seen working at the newspaper, but Sara and Jackie had been dropped from the cast. Hope Stinson owned the other 51% of the newspaper and soon became Henry's new thorn in the side. The series was schedule to go on for another season when Ted Knight suddenly passed away during the summer of 1986 (August 26, 1986). The series continued airing in syndication until the final week of March 1987. First Telecast: November 11, 1980 Last Telecast: March 1987 Episodes: 129 Color Episodes Theme Song: "Too Close for Comfort" Written by: Johnny Mandel Performed by: Johnny Mandel (Instrumental) ABC Broadcast History November 1980-September 1982----Tuesdays----9:30 p.m. September 1982-June 1983----Thursdays----9:00 p.m. August-September 1983----Thursdays----8:30 p.m. September 1983----Thursdays----8:00pm. Syndication Broadcast History April 1984-December 1985 April 1986-March 1987 (as The Ted Knight Show) Nielsen Ratings: (Top 30 or Better) #16 in the 1980-1981 Season #7 in the 1981-1982 Seasonmoreless
  • AFTER NOT-SO-GOOD COMEDY RATINGS THIS SEASON, ALPHABET FOCUSES ON STRENGTHS IN DRAMA CATEGORY.

    ABC orders three drama pilots, one comedy

  • Ted Knight

    Ted Knight

    Henry Rush

    Nancy Dussault

    Nancy Dussault

    Muriel Rush

    Deborah Van Valkenburgh

    Deborah Van Valkenburgh

    Jackie Rush (1980-1985)

    Lydia Cornell

    Lydia Cornell

    Sara Rush (1980-1985)

    JM J. Bullock

    JM J. Bullock

    Monroe Ficus (1981-1987)

    Monday
    No results found.
    Tuesday
    No results found.
    Wednesday
    No results found.