Top Chef Masters Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Miniaturize Me" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Miniaturize Me."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 45
    Too bad about Rick and the quick-fire I was rooting for the man in black. So funny when the chefs thought they had to cook 300 full dishes and the looks on their faces when they realised it would be horderves. The elimination was great I was worried about Michael's gellato that wouldn't cooperate with him but it all worked out in the end. I was happy to see Rick bounce back with his first dish. Nils brought the European flair I was looking for great presentation and the dinners were happy. Lachlan I was very interested in those short ribs glad they were well received. I really didn't have a winner picked this week but for a minute there didn't know what was going to happen at the end. Glad Micheal won love the whole out of the kitchen for years and coming back strong.

wingsabre

[3]Jul 16, 2009
    • level: 13
    Good episode overall. I'm somewhat amazed at the kitchen that they have. It's like they really spent time an energy building a kitchen that's significantly a step beyond what they had in Top Chef. In other words, they gave the chefs every opportunity to succeed, so they can pick the best of the best, and not the best of the worst.

I think Kelly Choi did a great job in hosting this episode. Instead of being just the host, it felt like she was contributing to the discussion and has grown in her role. Hopefully they'll keep her, if they're doing another season of Top Chef Masters.

One thing I would change for the show is the format. The quickfire and the elimination challenge should be completely separate. The results of the quickfire should not influence the elimination challenge like the way it has this season. I think a very good alternative is to simply give the winner an advantage. Like extra shopping time, a bigger budget, or some other ability that will help them in the elimination challenge.

dbcsdragon

[4]Jul 17, 2009
    • level: 12

wingsabre wrote:
    If they're doing another season of Top Chef Masters. One thing I would change for the show is the format. The quickfire and the elimination challenge should be completely separate. The results of the quickfire should not influence the elimination challenge like the way it has this season. I think a very good alternative is to simply give the winner an advantage. Like extra shopping time, a bigger budget, or some other ability that will help them in the elimination challenge.

I absolutely agree. I kind of like the star count to decide the winner, but it doesn't seem quite fair. If you happen to do poorly in the Quickfire you don't have a prayer to win the challenge, unless the head person makes some seriously big mistakes. The winner of the quickfire should get one-up of everyone in the challenge, but with this system, they already have one foot in the finals. Almost all of the past quickfire wins have won overall.

CRaivios

[5]Jul 20, 2009
    • level: 21

It is too bad that there always seems to be someone who does badly in the Quickfire Challenge. Last week, it was John. This week, it was Rick.

Does the Quickfire Challenge winner come up on top over all because of their points lead or do they win because of the inventiveness of the food they cook and their ability to adapt to the Top Chef format? I think it has more to do with the latter. Hubert in the shower with the pasta still cracks me up.

One of the chefs did not want the crew of Flipping Out as judges. I disagree. Most to the people who eat in high end restaurants are not professional critics. They are normal people who vote by becoming a repeat customers.

I felt very sorry for Rick. From the scores, it was clear he won the Elimination Challenge.

I was worried for Michael. His gelato almost did not set up. I am glad he had the presence of mind to put it in the freezer. Did he cheat by having a guest help him? If that is so, then Anita should have been penalized last week when John helped her with her eggs.

What is going to be interesting is when the finals start. All the participants will have competed and won in the first round. It will definitely be kicked up a notch then. Only one more show, then it begins.