Top Chef

Anything You Can Cook I Can Cook Better

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 12, 2008 on Bravo

• The new contestants go head-to-head to prove that they have what it takes to be the next Top Chef.

All in all, this is a pretty good way to begin the fourth season of Top Chef. A few people stick out from the crowd so far, but there are no sure winners in the crew.

The pizza Quickfire Challenge was much more forgiving than the previous season's opening challenge. All the contestants had to do was make their own signature deep dish pizza. There were some very yummy sounding pizzas, and some not so yummy ones, like the one that was a big round of crust with no sauce. All in all, it was a pretty simple challenge, and one I think everyone stood up to.

The head-to-head challenge was a little disconcerting, but also very interesting. Unfortunately, I think including a souffle was a mistake. The previous seasons of Top Chef have clearly shown that desserts and these chefs do not usually go together, and roping two people into making a souffle was a little underhanded, but neither of them went home, so nothing bad happened as a result. The elimination this round came down to what it often comes down to on Top Chef, the basics. I think they made the right decision, and I also think that this is going to be a great season of Top Chef.
BRAVO