Top Chef

Block Party

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 26, 2008 on Bravo

• Silly as in the way the chefs performed, not the way the challenges and judging were executed.

This episode presented some great opportunities for the chefs that I felt they just threw away. The challenges were great, and it's a shame the contestants just didn't seem up to par.

The Quickfire Challenge was to make a fine dining taco. Despite complaints from several contestants that a taco isn't a fine dining food, I think that the challenge was, well, challenging, and what else should it be? Sure, we don't tend to think of a taco as a fine dining food, but some of the stuff produced not only looked scrumptious, but also like something that you would be served in a fine dining restaurant. The winner here was clear, and I'd like to try that taco.

The Elimination Challenge was another group challenge. The chefs had to cater an annual block party, the catch being that they had to collect ingredients from the houses in the neighborhood, which had been stocking up on stuff to use for the party. Despite some underhandedness on the part of the contestants, everyone got what they needed, but that's where things started to go a little wrong. The two obviously wrong choices were mac and cheese and corn dogs. Even I know that mac and cheese, especially made with Velveeta, will turn into a block of rubber after a few minutes, and that corn dogs that sit for an hour and a half in the kitchen and then in a warmer will be soggy and gross. Some of the other dishes just seemed lackluster or like an afterthought, and there were also some naming issues that affected the way dishes were judged. Ultimately, the right decisions were made at judge's table, though it is disappointing to see a chef skate through twice on the strength of the group when she has clearly made basic mistakes both times.