Top Chef

Chef Overboard

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 05, 2007 on Bravo

• Pretty good episode but the cooking patterns and weaknesses are beginning to show are starting to appear.

For quickfire, each chef was given an aisle and $10 to use in order to cook their own dish from. Everyone cooked a dish except for Howie and Brian wins the challenge and chooses the next team leader for the elimination challenge which is himself. Howie seems to have given up from the beginning. He just seemed like he was tired of the whole thing and didn't deliver anything impressive. Nobody did great in the elimination challenge and I thought Brian should've been voted off since I think Howie has more talent, I believe, and he did not lead the team in any way and has failed @ doing so before but Howie really didn't perform @ any point doing the show and then he nominated himself @ the end. So Howie went home.
  • A challenge to bring out a good chef but once again they almost sank the ship & Howie walked the plank...

7.6
    Overall I am disappointed in all of the Chefs, they are not acting like a Top Chef or in it to win the title. They just seem to all be hoping to buy time until the finals. Come on this is Top Chef act like it and bring it! That said....

Am I disappointed that Howie went home? Hmm well not really there where plenty of time prior that I beleive he should have. Did I fall for the fall on his sword to save Brian and go out like he wanted. Ahhh not really but hey I will give him more respect than some of the other in this episode. I was happy when he did at least kind of stand up and say no desert cause it was not working.

I really have to says I think the judges where wrong on Brian in the show but in Tom's blog he admits to it so I will not blash them. I think that Brian may have it in him to be Top Chef he just needs some more mentoring like the judges said of Marcel last year.

I didn't care Casey's part or her dish. I don't think she deserved the win and I don't see anything in her that is what a Top Chef is. It was not like she did one dish and nailed it home, she did two and flopped on one and was pretty on the next. She has never showed leadership ever!!!! And she is not a team player, she rather just stand over on the side and do her thing and blah blah.

Sarah she is not much better, while she did have a good showing in the second episode of restruant wars otherwise if she wants to be Top Cehf she needs to step it up. She could be the first women Top Chef but she has to really show some skill and bring it everytime and not play safe.

Hung disappointed me. He has a lot of talent to me and could go all the way but he just sat after showing his skill in the quickfire. Maybe it was the quest judge scaring him but he has to stand up and still show he is more than just safe plain Jane!!! He had a chase to wow ahd show he is after Top Chef even if he was not leader but he took a back seat like Casey always does. CJ he talks big but I have yet to see him too stand up and show but at least he didn't bomb this week. No more to say there. Dale well yah his hair is the only thing that stands up about him and his skill is nothing major to bring. If he is lucky he can hind in the shadow another week.

Next week I am hoping for some cooking and some actual showing of Chefs. I remember in the show down between season one and two that season three was judging and they thought they could beat season one. Yah not one person except Tre could stand up to season one just because at least they came to play and showed top chef material. And so ends my long opinion LOL.
  • The quickfire was lame, but the elimination challenge was interesting.

As stated the quickfire was another stupid idea, I guess the creators are running out of ideas. But the elimination challenge was worthy. Having a budget of $350 for the a dinner cruise for finger food for 60 seems like a lot of money, but they were supposed to wow them and they were Miami's upper crust. I think they all played it safe for the most part, and Hung with his retread cucumber dish got called out for it. There were some good tasting dishes but who makes chicken salad, lame. Also rather than having 7 dishes that were quality and showing the best they could do they tried to impress them with quantity. The decision not to serve the mouse dish correct.
    Howie just had a really bad day, his food was not good. Brian on the other hand let bad food go out of the kitchen and could just as easily been sent home.
    I though Trey was going to win it, Hung looks like a potential winner but lately has not been showing much. Who will win, I have no idea. Keep the fish away and Hung is lost along with a few others. It will be interesting.
  • The chefs have to prepare appetizers on a cruise ship for some of Miami's most beautiful.

Howie NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I am sorry, I know he was widely hated but I loved Howie. I think that he was probably the last really good chef on this show. I don't think any of the others are really bringing it this season. I think this challenge was garbage. They should be making really impressive food by now and they were better in the beginning. Also, the judges are getting rid of the best people! Trey especially and now Howie, who might not be personally likable but he was a great chef! I think it was honorable of him to try to kick himself off because he is right this whole thing was silly. I can't even imagine who is going to win this season because I don't think any of the people left are really good. So many of them are there because the judges made bad decisions and some of the people left should have been kicked off. Oh well. I'm still watching and waiting to see what will happen next.
  • 'Pick an Aisle' quickfire challenge, and the chefs cater a party in the elimination challenge.

7.6
    I say right on Howie! I get really tired of the judges inflated egos on this show. I'd like to see the judges just once participate in some of these lame hoops the chefs are forced through. Howie didn't turn in his quickfire challenge, which really seemed to piss off the guest judge! During the elimination judging Howie totally went out like a man! At a certain point he realized that the game of 'Top Chef' was kind of stupid and wanted out, I say good for him. He realized his personal dignity is more important than what a few commercially influenced industry insiders had to say about his cooking. Head judge Tom did nail Hung for playing it safe. Tom also nailed Brian on his self-interested decision to let some chefs create drab dishes, which Brian even admitted to in his commentary of the competition. Tom keeps the competition honest, the other judges get caught up in too much petty nonsense and lose their perspective easily.
  • I really really liked this episode. (This review contains spoilers).

I really really liked this episode. Be aware that this review DOES contain spoilers. This episode was filled with the most drama we have seen this season. I personally really liked it a lot. I am so glad Howie got voted off and not Brian. Howie started showing better ways of thinking and it was almost like character development but on a reality TV show. The dishes weren't the best but still were very nice and I like the interactions between the judges and the contestants. I like the way the people are judged and this episode doesn't spend too much time on people talking about cooking instead of actually doing so. Overall, this is probably the best episode of the season so far.