Season 3 Contestant
Season 3 Contestant
Season 3 Contestant
Micah says that she's looking forward to working with conch in the QuickFire Challenge because she used to live in the Bahamas where it is commonly used. But when it comes time to shuck it she fails miserably, even trying to hammer one open!
In his interview for the camera, Hung says he turned the oven to "cool down" after his chicken was done, and says Sara M. was at fault for not checking to see if it was on. But when Sara asked him if he turned it off, he denied it.
First Run Fan Poll:
Who is the better chef?
A. Howie 88%
B. Joey 12%
(all percentages are as of the end of the episode.)
QuickFire Challenge Dishes Shown:
• C.J. Pan Roasted Fruits de Mer, Shaved Cauliflower with Saffron Paprika Vinaigrette & Olives
• Casey Linguine with Scallops, Mussels & Cockles, Cilantro Bread with Truffle Butter
• Tre Shellfish Poached in Fish Stock, Butter & Chive Oil with Summer Corn & Grilled Leek Compote
• Micah Conch Salad Ceviche Style with Sour Orange, Finished with "Sky Juice"
• Brian "3 Rivers": Wine, Butter, Garlic, Chives with Clams, Scallops, Mussels & Crayfish
• Lia Raw Bay Scallop, Dry Fig & Lemon Zest, Cockle with Tomato Water & Capellini with Crayfish
• Sara M. Cornmeal Crusted Conch with Citrus Butter, Mango & Cilantro Mignonette
• Camille Crayfish & Mussels in a Hibiscus Sauce, & Mussels Crusted with Tarragon
• Hung "East/West" Curry with Heads & Bellies of Scallops & Mussels with a Crunchy Crouton
• Dale Spicy Italian Sausage & Scallops with Tomato Sauce, Topped with an Egg
• Howie Ceviche of Conch, Scallops, Crayfish & Mussels with Crispy Plantain & Greens
Elimination Challenge Dishes:
• C.J. Tuna Casserole with Whole Wheat Pasta & Yogurt Topped with Flax Seed Tuile (Tuna casserole)
• Sara M. Chicken à la King with Purée of Mushroom Sauce, Couscous & Watercress Salad (Chicken à la king)
• Lia Grilled Chicken Sausage with Dijon Lentils, Carrots & Onions (Franks & beans)
• Dale Chicken Filled Potato Dumplings with Broccoli, Horseradish & Celery Root (Chicken & dumplings)
• Hung Skinless Chicken Marinated in Yogurt & Spices with Pasta & Vegetables (Fried chicken & macaroni & cheese)
• Sara N. Panko topped Snapper with Pine Nuts, Currants, Lentils & Roasted Beets (Fish sticks & french fries)
• Micah Italian Style Meatloaf with Smashed Garlic Potato & Roasted Pepper Sauces (Meatloaf & mashed potatoes)
• Brian Lobster & Shrimp Roll with Lobster Broth (Cabbage rolls)
• Camille Beef & Chili Salsa Taco, & Tuna Tomatillo Apple Taco (Tacos)
• Casey Rib Eye Sloppy Joes with Butter Pickle & Apricot Compote (Sloppy Joes & tater tots)
• Joey Low Cholesterol Lasagna with Turkey Sausage, Eggplant & Mushrooms (Lasagna)
• Tre Roast Chicken Cordon Bleu with Bluefoot Chanterelles, Asparagus & Parsnip Sauce. (Chicken cordon bleu)
• Howie Fennel Crusted Pork Chops with Apple Fennel Salad & Sultana Raisin Emulsion (Pork chops & applesauce)
Brian wins the QuickFire Challenge.
Micah packs her knives, and Howie wins the Challenge.
Dale: Almost all of us received conch in our net, and there are many contraptions you need to get that $#!& out of the shell. But we have a half an hour to come up with a great shellfish dish, that I don't have time to dick around with a conch.
Hung: (referring to the QuickFire Challenge) Everyone is throwing shellfish with white wine, and there you go. Yeah, it's simple, but, my monkey can do that.
Micah: Meatloaf and mashed potatoes- I'm thinking this can't be too hard to improve upon.
Micah: I think cooking anything traditional is difficult because I think people expect something, because they have a preconceived notion in their mind of what they're going to eat.
Ted: (as they sample the contestants' dishes) We're in serious need of 'wow' here. We've had three courses of 'not wow'.
Lia: (at the Judges' Table) I guess I didn't understand how complex franks and beans are.
Australia June 4, 2008 on Arena
Dale bought pre-cooked rotisserie chicken at the supermarket and used it, but he also used some chicken that he cooked himself. He reminded the Judges of this fact several times at the Judges' Table, but this footage didn't make the aired episode.
In the third season reunion show "Watch What Happens" each of the Judges is asked which is his favorite dish throughout the run of the show. Ted has two favorites, one of which was Howie's pork from this episode.
Lee Anne says in her blog that she turns on each of the ovens an hour ahead of time so that they will be fully up to temp for every Challenge. She also points out that when a convection oven has been switched to cool down mode the oven still retains a fair amount of heat and the fan continues to blow, so it would be quite natural for Sarah to think that the oven was still on.
In her blog, Lee Anne points out that the chefs only had to make five portions each of their dishes, so time constraints should not have been a major part of their Challenge this week .
In her blog, Lee Anne says that she hung a poster in the Top Chef Kitchen listing high cholesterol foods to help the chefs from inadvertantly using an ingredient that would get them in trouble, and that list included lobster.
In her blog, Lee Anne says that she used as of the leftover shellfish went into making a seafood and coconut ceviche for an Easter meal that she and her assistant Shannon cooked for the production crew on one of days off. She found this especially fun because she had never worked with fresh conch before, and while shucking it was tricky, the sweet, wonderful taste made it more than worth the extra trouble.
Guest Judge Alfred Portale graduated first in his class at the Culinary Institute of America. Soon after, Portale worked with some of France's most renowned chefs: Guérard, Troisgros, and Maximin. Returning to America, he combined his repertoire of classical techniques with a love for all things American when he opened his Gotham Bar and Grill. Drawing on his background as an artist, Portale uses his sense of style and craftsmanship to create food which appeals to all the senses; His menu at Gotham features innovative, seasonal dishes. After ten years at Gotham, Portale's excellence has won him many awards, including being named "Best Chef In New York" in 1993, and in 1994 his restaurant was nominated as "Restaurant of the Year" by the James Beard Foundation.
Tom: (referring to Sara M.'s dish) That was Chicken Don King.
While not exactly the most apt allusion, Tom is reffering to the over the top boxing promoter Don King, who is most famous for his "Buckwheat" style hairdo.
In the graphics for different chefs' dishes, crawfish are also called crayfish. Both spellings are commonly used, but they were given the name crawfish first, by American naturalist Thomas Say in 1817.
Bahamian "Sky Juice" which Micah pairs with her conch has no set recipe. It can range from a very simple half and half mixture of gin and coconut water to a more tourist oriented drink of one part gin, one part rum, two parts coconut water and a bit of sweetened condensed milk to create a more rich, creamy texture.
As Hung rushes over to his stove during the QuickFire Challenge, he let's out a "Wub, wub, wub", just like Curly of The Three Stooges.
User Score: 3573
User Score: 1944
User Score: 266
User Score: 187
User Score: 93
User Score: 75
User Score: 47
User Score: 32
User Score: 29
User Score: 26
User Score: 20
User Score: 19
User Score: 18
User Score: 16
User Score: 13
User Score: 11
User Score: 10
User Score: 9
User Score: 9
User Score: 9