Top Chef

Family Favorites

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 27, 2007 on Bravo

• They had a great Elimination Challenge, and they did nothing with it. But the QuickFire was a good one, so I guess it wasn't all bad. But this cast just isn't grabbing me the way the first season cast did, or even as the trainwreck second season did!

The QuickFire was a great one, and as someone who used to do kitchen prep for Red Lobster, I know a little something about the time consuming nature of shucking and cleaning seafood, though hardly to the extent that they were asked to do for the Challenge. It made things interesting, and almost all of the dishes looked like something I'd like to try, except for Hung's oddly titled Scallop Head and Bellies. Do scallops really have a head and a belly? This isn't the first time he's used seafood innards in a dish and while it seems to have been reasonably successful, it still sounds nasty!

Moving on to the Elimination Challenge, I thought this was going to be a great opportunity for the chefs to display some creativity, but all we got was bad diet food! Even Dale, who obviously made something more tasty than the rest, just switched American homestyle for Lithuanian. It may be new for Americans, but it showed no originality or innovation, unless you count using boxed potato flakes instead of real potatoes as innovation. A reasonable time-saving device and a successful one, yes, but not an "update" by any stretch of the imagination!

I can't argue against Micah being sent home, but just looking at the dishes, the one I'd least like to try is CJ's. I'm not a fan of peas, and my mother never put them in her tuna casserole, but even if I was a pea lover I can't imagine thinking that CJ's dish looked at all appetizing! Just by looking at it I got the impression that he didn't even use albacore tuna, since it looked fairly dark, which meant it had a stronger flavor to it. Maybe he thougtht he needed that to stand up to all the peas, but I still wonder.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed by the Judges criticism of Sara M.'s chicken ala king. At least she used her imagination, and while I couldn't see the relationship her dish had to the original by just looking at it, knowing ahead of time that her dish was that classic I could see what she was going for. It might have failed as a dish, but at least she thought about it and tried to innovate, and she was one of the only ones to do so. All in all, a fairly weak episode in a relatively boring season.
  • This episode was not as good as what is usually served up.

Watching this episode, it didnt really jump out at me. For one thing, Hung was beyond his attitude than usual, and I think he may have turned down the oven on Sara purposely becuase of what happened in the Quickfire Challenge, and I cant believe that Micah was booted out, when CJ's dish looked even worse, but I have to admit, she made too many, "You Americans do this, and we do that" comments, which wasnt a crowd pleaser. Also the Joe/Howie confilcts were kept to a minimum which was good and bad. I'm just hoping that the next episode will step up to the plate.
  • The chefs redo old family favorites and try to make them healthier.

4.3
    I find this season so far dissapointing! Does anyone else watch 'Iron Chef', now I don't expect the talent level here to be on that level, but at least in the same ballpark! These guys and gals, with the time and money they are given, repeatedly churn out unoriginal dishes! If there is a season 4, they need to find some of the chefs that Iron Chef finds, the talent level here is just not there...
  • This episode shakes up the order a little bit.

When I saw this show was going to be shown, I read through the different biographies. I thought this was an interesting mix of people and was hoping something a little different. I know that the chefs have seen the first season as a minimum so they know that sometimes staying safe gets you to the middle of the competition and then you can pick the time to make your move. It seems that there are way too many people trying to play it safe and few willing to take major chances.
    The quickfire showed that some of the people are starting to move up and down in my ratings of how they will finish. I can like a chef but if he has limited talent I know he cannot win. However chefs with talent do not always win the challenge. Howie definitely stepped up in the quickfire, and some of the early front runners Hung and Trey are starting to settle down a little.
    The elimination challenge was great, remaking comfort food into lower cholesterol and better tasting food. The way they chose what they were going to make was also fair, it made some of the chefs work outside their comfort zones. Hung doing fried chicken was interesting, his background is far from that. It was also hard for Micah who is new to this country and does not eat or make comfort foods.
    When I saw Howie pick pork again, I was surprised, after his disaster in the previous episode. But he went and showed why they picked him for the show, he was the winner but showed he can be original. What happened to Trey, I thought he was one of the real front runners, Hung was out of his comfort zone, and others are way over their heads. Do I think Howie will win, I do not know, but I have seen nothing from any of the women of the show to lead me to think any of them will win. And the men seem to be in the lead, but then anyone can have one really bad day and go home. Go Howie.
  • Seafood and Family Favorites

First off, Hung really irritated me this episode. He didn't even care about the poor crawfish and like someone said, he could've at least cleaned up after himself. He could've either put the crawfish in his bowl or back in the tank. He's not a favorite of mine. Tre was my favorite when the series started, but he was pretty quiet in this episode. I've always kinda liked Howie, so I'm glad he won this challenge. I was a little suprised Dale wasn't called on his premade rotisserie (sorry if I spelled that wrong) chicken. I don't know how fair that was. Anyway....I had a feeling Micah was going to go home because she just really seemed like she didn't want to be there from last week and she really didn't seem to care about really understanding the mealoaf dish. Next episode looks interesting as it will be the first time they have to work together.
  • Nerve-wracking for probably only me, though. My favorite, Mikah, got sent knife-packing.

I am really loving these Top Chef season 3 challenges. This one was the best so far- updating a family classic (such as fired chicken, tuna casserole, etc.) into an upscale, low-calorie meal. Unfortunately, some of the chefs simply went low-calorie without the upscale quality, just amping up a dish's healthiness and not changing the overall dish. The top two were Howie's chicken and applesause and Dale's dumplings. Dale interestingly chose to use instant potatoes- a gamble that paid off, as nobody noticed. Howie, however, won with his dish. The bottom five- yes, five- were Mikah (with her disasterous met loaf, ranked lowest by the customers), Brian (who was safe from the Quickfire, but chose to use high-calorie lobster), Lia (who had never been in the top or bottom before, but thsi time made a too-easy dish), Sara M (whose chicken bore no resemblance to the original dish), and CJ (whose tuna casserole was sloppy, green, and disgusting). The judges chose Mikah as the worst, with Sara being second-worst. Oh, and the Quickfire challenge! The contestants had to fish for their own crayfish in a tank in 30 seconds, then prepare a dish with them. Hung, being his usual horrible self, dropped a crayfish, proclaimed "I don't need it," and left the poor thing wriggling on the floor. You can really see how some of the contestants don't like him at all. CJ, of course, won the Quickfire. Between the tasks, Howie established himself as somewhat as a loner who was here to win, and not to make friends. And that's Top Chef- another delicious episode.
  • New leaders are emerging, namely Howie!!

When this competition started my favorites were Tre & Hung and I also like Sara & Micah. In this competition, the people who typically do very well didn't do so hot in this competition. I don't know whether they're overconfident at this point, especially where Hung is concerned, or what it is but they're slacking out. I thought the issue with Micah slacking a little was only going to last for a little while but a little part of me feels like she might have been sabotaging herself just kind of waiting to go hand. Tre is kinda falling out of site in this episode. And although Brian won the quickfire, he didn't do well at all during dinner time. My girl, Sara also hit a low note in this episode. And I think we're about to see more of Hung's CPA (certified professional ahole) side that he mention earlier. In this episdoe, Dale and Howie pulled out in the front and Howie won and I was extremely happy to see him win and show his stuff. He got great comments from the judges and the diners. So I think he was very deserving of this win. Great episode that had much more bite than last Monday's episode of Hell's Kitchen.