First-Run Fan Poll:
What did you think of Andrew's idea to present the food as Oompa Loompas?
A. Long on laughs 15%
B. It fell short 85%
(all percentages are as of the end of the episode.)
Zoi and Antonia's movie, Talk To Her, was portrayed as being about two strong women. In the movie, however, both women are in a coma the entire time!
Titles had difficulties in this episode: Batonnet was spelled Batonettes, Brunoise was spelled Brunois.
QuickFire Challenge Dishes Shown:
* Zoi - Shaved Asparagus, Poached Egg, Batons of Green Beans, Chiffonade of Radicchio & Frisee
* Dale - Daikon Marinated in Tobanjan, Tournee of Avocado and Cucumber
* Lisa - Poached Egg, Blanched Asparagus, Batonnet of Bell Pepper & Grilled Zucchini
* Richard - Blanched Mushrooms, Pickled Beets, Sliced Radishes with Lime Juice & Scallions
* Spike - Carpaccio of Cucumber, Tagliatello of Asparagus, Cucumber Cup & Tournee of Mushroom
* Manuel - Blanched Asparagus, Brunoise of Yellow Pepper, Supremes of Lemon & Endive Fennel Frond
* Nikki - Blanched Green Beans and Asparagus Quenelle, Shaved Fennel & Radish Salad
Elimination Challenge Dishes:
Team 1 – Dale, Richard and Andrew
Film: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
• Smoked Salmon with Faux Caviar & White Chocolate Wasabi Sauce (Pear & Celery Soda served but not titled)
Team 2 – Spike and Manuel
Film: Good Morning, Vietnam
• Summer Roll with Black Vermicelli, Green Apple, Chilean Sea Bass & Swiss Chard
Team 3 – Nikki and Jen
Film: Il Postino
• Tortellini with Cavolo Nero, Ricotta, Pecorino, Squash & Peppercorn
Team 4 – Ryan and Mark
Film: A Christmas Story
• Quail Breast with Carrot Purée, Cranberry Chutney & Quail Spring Rolls
Team 5 – Zoi and Antonia
Film: Talk to Her
• Rack of Lamb with Saffron Cauliflower Purée, Romesco & Gramalata
Team 6 – Lisa and Stephanie
Film: Top Secret!
• NY Strip Steak, Braised Short Rib & Apple Potsticker with Caramel Sauce
Richard is declared the winner of the Elimination Challenge, and Manuel is told to pack his knives and go home.
Dale is the winner of the QuickFire Challenge, and is given immunity from elimination.
(Discussing Zoi and Antonia's dish.)
Aisha Tyler: When you eat a great plate of food you feel transported. This was fine, and it tasted good; I didn't feel anything transcendent about it.
Tom: It didn't bring you to Spain?
Aisha Tyler: No, not at al not even a little bit.
Daniel Boulud: (of Nikki and Jen's tortellini) They didn't care much about the beautiful pretty shape of it.
Ted: Well, I love the rusticity of the shape of the tortel- I prefer handmade pasta that doesn't look like it was stamped out of a machine.
Richard Roeper: I keep hearing 'rustic' and I think that kinda fits in with the theme, and I think it's better than all the experts- that you've been saying so far.
Andrew: I have no doubt in my mind that the people that will be eating this food will culinarily crap in their pants when they see what we have for them.
In the QuickFire, most of the competitors seemed to focus mainly on demonstrating their knife skills. But they were all given a list of possible techniques to demonstrate, and that list included cooking styles, such as braising or poaching, as well as plating and garnishing.
Richard says Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory really is his favorite movie, and he has it playing frequently on the TV monitors at his restaurant Trail Blais in Atlanta.