Stephanie is the first woman top chef winner.
Stephanie mentions that Dale Levitski, runner-up of season 3, knew her and suggested that she try out for season 4.
Eric Ripert's Protein Selection: caviar, clams, sea urchin, lobster, hamachi, snapper, poussins (baby chickens) quail, quail eggs, chorizo, bacon, veal tenderloin, and rack of lamb.
Dan Barber's Protein Selection: abalone, calamari, scallops, tuna, halibut, guinea hen, duck, duck fat, foie gras, prosciutto, pork belly, rabbit, and venison.
April Bloomfield's Protein Selection: oysters, octopus, head on prawns, jumbo lump crab, mahi mahi, organic chicken, squab, pancetta, sweetbreads, oxtails, beef tongue, wagyu strip, and ostrich steaks.
Final Challenge Menus:
* First Course - Grilled Prawns with Chili Basil Sauce & Crab, Homemade Potato Chips
* Second Course - Tom Kha Gai Soup with Dumplings
* Third Course - Wagyu Beef with Chayote & Cucumber Salad, Hot Sauce & Garlic Chips
* Dessert Course - Black Thai Rice Pudding with Lime & Mango Creme, Taro & Coconut
* First Course - Seared Red Snapper, Truffled Clam & Asparagus Broth, Asparagus Salad
* Second Course - Quail Breast over Lobster Ravioli with Mango-Lobster Sauce and Quail Egg
* Third Course - Lamb with Maitake Mushrooms, Braised Pistachios, Blackberry & Olive Tapenade
* Dessert Course - Ricotta Pound Cake with Tropical Fruit & Banana Creme
* First Course - Scallop with Mango & Pineapple Vinegar
* Second Course - Guinea Hen, Chicken Egg, Foie Gras & Spring Vegetables
* Third Course - Pickled Radishes, Mirin Broth & Pork Belly
* Dessert Course - Banana "Scallop" with Bacon Ice Cream
First-run Fan Poll:
Who do you think should be Top Chef?
A. Lisa 4%
B. Richard 36%
C. Stephanie 60%
(all percentages are as of the end of the episode)
Eric Ripert: (learning a new technique from Richard) As a chef, the day you don't learn anymore, it means you're such egomaniac, you're blind.
Lee Anne mentions in her blog for this episode that she thought everyone would know by now that Tom hates truffle oil. But apparently Stephanie didn't know, since she used it in her first course. The other Judges must not have had a problem with it, though, since she won that course of the meal, and even Tom said that aside from the oil her dish was good, verging on very good.
Lee Anne, as the Culinary Producer, was quite nervous as to whether all the proteins she ordered for the final Challenge would make it in time. The fish only got to the kitchen two hours before they began filming.