Top Chef

Finale (2)

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 31, 2007 on Bravo

• The finale with Ilan and Marcel was better than anticipated. They each had 2 helpers, Marcel had Michael and Sam(who I felt should have been in the finale) and Ilan had Betty and Elia in the kitchen.

Seeing that Marcel in my opinion does not belong in the finale it was so appropriate that the leadership and working together skills which he is so sorely lacking helped do him in. Michael and Sam did what they were told to do, but they are not the one running the kitchen or planning the menu. Sam pulled off a miracle on a dish when the main ingredient was not there, but Marcel still lost.
    Ilan had two people that wanted to win as bad as he did and it showed. They even got jittery on plating, but they did a great job. Ilan had one weak dish, the first one, but after that he just kicked ass. Marcel did not wow them, he is a hit and miss chef, he gambles without any idea of what his dishes will taste like. He does not have the experience to be a top chef, maybe in a few years, but he will have to grow a personality first, as no one will work in his kitchen with him.
    The only thing that I would have liked to happen in this show was the night that they shaved their heads they should have done Marcel, what is with that hair. A lot of the dishes on the show are not for me, items that I would not eat as they do not appeal to me, but it has opened a whole new area of cooking. Watching Marcel being a jerk, just took away from the whole season.
  • Top Chef

Marcel getting stung by a sea urchan and having to pee on his hand was a great way to start the season finale. I was thrilled to see the contestants that were privously eliminated. Marcel is working with Sam and Michael as his assistants and he is doing a great job. I think he is really working on the whole team concept, which he really had a problem with before. Ilan has chosen Betty and Ellie to work with him on his team. After deliberation the judges decided to award Ilan the title Top Chef. I actually wanted Marcel to win.
  • Wow... just call it a little bit of vindication! I know... I know.. .it's just a show!

So, then why am I totally thrilled that Ilan won? Why? Because it should have been Sam in the finals, so my thought of ANYONE but, MARCEL was primary.

I was shocked at the decision in the last episode that left Sam out of the finals, but was thrilled to see Betty brought back to help.

I think Marcel chose Mike because he didn't like folks telling him he had lessons to learn. So, he got what he asked for...

It was really telling that Ilan and his team were prepped and ready the night before, everything on the rolling racks and ready to go. While, on Marcel's side the fish was left behind. When it came time to cook, Sam graciously helped Marcel save the dish by giving him a great idea. When the judges asked about it, Marcel claimed it was his idea and said his helpers didn't really do much to assist him! Ungrateful Snot!

Congrats, Ilan!