Top Chef

First Impressions

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2007 on Bravo

• Party in the city where the heat is on/Every night on the beach/’Til the break of dawn (Those are the lyrics, right? I haven’t heard that song in a long time…)

I’m filled with anticipation for this third season of Top Chef. It seems that the chefs are all of a superb quality, and I look forward to seeing them go through the various challenges!

I’m not going to lie, I was quite surprised to see Hung receiving accolades in both challenges, primarily because of the way his character was portrayed in the 4 Star All-Star Challenge; the producers seemed to want to make it appear that he was clearly pro-Marcel, which was not entirely a good thing in the eyes of the judges. I’m pleased to have been so surprised, though.

I agree with stillplaygpc, who wrote that last season had a very Spanish flair to it and that this season does not, although I think there will be quite a bit of influence from deep Southern cooking, Cajun, and Caribbean flavors in addition to the more ‘classical’ European styles. Speaking of Spanish, though – every time a sea urchin popped onto the screen all I could think of was Salvador Dali, who considered sea urchins a delicious delicacy and at one point shaved his head and posed with a sea urchin on top of his skull in reference to the William Tell legend.

I look forward to learning more about the personalities of Season 3’s contestants!