Top Chef

First Impressions

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2007 on Bravo

• This is going to be an interesting season, but the one character that would have made it better is gone, Clay.

I watch each episode twice, and it seems that I pick up more little things in the second go round. I really liked Clay, but I have a feeling he was really in way over his head, but was fun to watch. The surprise quick fire was interesting, at least they show producers are trying to keep the chefs guessing and the audience entertained. Now let's not go off on a tangent here, and have them cook a gourmet meal for 200 using a flamethrower, or something equally stupid as they did in Top Cuts, cutting hair with a hedge clipper, the epitome of TV stupidity.
    This season seems to have some interesting characters and they will grow throughout the season. It also appears that there are a few chefs in that kitchen that can really cook and will leave a lot of them in the dust. But just when you think that they are shoe in for the finale, take a look at the Season one versus season two, the weakest dishes were by the winners, and the strongest dish was by the wine steward who did not wow me with his cooking in season one. He must have learned how to cook in the mean time.
    I am sure some of the people there are there for wow factor, a guy and gal with spiked hair, what's with that. Where is the guy that will wow us with flavors like Dave, and I hope they don't have a foam specialist. I still dislike Marcel because of his being a poor loser, not only in the finale but in the cook off where he says use plenty of saffron. Marcel you lost because your dishes were not the best and in my opinion you never deserved to be in the finale but the producers thought it would be a good TV move to have a good guy versus bad guy finale.
    Back to this season, I saw some glimmers or talent in most of them, now let's see if they can show it on a regular basis. Now that we had exotic meats and fish, let's cook with something us mere mortals eat and can relate to.
    Hung not winning because he did not have color on his plate is lame, take off for plating, but do not give extra for great taste, give me a break. He is talented, but so was the winner.