Top Chef

Food for the People

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 01, 2006 on Bravo

• Although they may not be used to making food for the masses, this challenge takes their talent to the limits!

Althought they may have complained that there is no reason for them to be doing this challenge because it deals with food for the common man, only 38% of people eat at fine dining restaruants. They may not have to cook food like this everyday, but that is exactly why this is a challenge. It is put into action to test their skills and their limits. This shows their versatility, and it was a good move on the producers part to put this challenge in. The ice cream part was interesting because most of them have never made ice cream before. The ones that I thought were the most innovative were the breakfast ice cream and the avacado, vanilla, and marshmellow ice cream. The Waffles and and bacon ice creams gives new meaning to Ice Cream for breakfast, and the Avacado, Vanilla, and marshmellow ice cream gives a new take on classicc flavors. I think they would be great to mass prodeuce.

As for the elimination challnege, this was my favorite part of the episode. It is great incentive to have the winner get their item on the menu of the restaurant. And the insperation of the dish being an adult take on a childhood favrotie was a great idea. Most of the dishes that were in the top three were dishes I had had as a child myself so I totally related with their choices. My two faortites were Cliff\\\'s Grown-Up Mac & Cheese and Fish Sticks, and Betty\\\'s Grilled Chesse w/ Portabello Mushrooms and Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Both of them, I had variations of as a child, and they seemed both very well prepared. Cliff\\\'s dish actually reminded me of Dave\\\'s Mac and Cheese in last seasons episode \\\"Nappa Valley\\\" I am sure the judges weren\\\'t expecting a Mac and Cheese which is why they were impressed becuase he really did something no one expected, and did it well.

Over all, this episode was awesome. I watched it a few times after I delted the episode off my Tivo. My favorite episode so far in season 2 and one of my favorite episodes out of the entire series.