Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Anything You Can Cook I Can Cook Better" Official Discussion (Spoiler

Was a Classic Dish Challenge Fair?

layle1

[1]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Anything You Can Cook I Can Cook Better."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    Edited on 03/12/2008 8:27pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Finnegan77

[2]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 27
    Gotta love the video clip where the NY chef is trying to stuff all that dough into the deep dish pan! Can't wait to see her pizza!

311feen

[3]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    Do we really need the couple drama? Shouldn't this be about food? My ep rating- "Bleh". I hope it gets better. Is it just me or is Adam a little high strung??

starwolf99

[4]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 12

It's Andrew that was the high strung, ghetto wannabe one. He reminds me of a cross between Eminem and Dr. Morris from "E.R." (redheaded wimp). I winced when I saw a deep-dish pizza with Marmite. But, if Rocco likes it, who am I to argue. What's up with mohawks on chefs? Looks like we have a Sandee clone. After all of the trash talking in the Season 3 blogs, it was funny to see Anthony Bourdain and Rocco DiSpirito judging TOGETHER.

The fact that there was a couple competing together seemed gimmicky. There can be only one. Once again, we have the "I'm not here to make friends; I'm here to compete" person who apparently wasn't good at either. I was surprised that the one with the accent wasn't eliminated first (based on history with Ken in Season 1, Suyah in Season 2, and Clay in Season 3).

The Elimination Challenge was unique for a first episode, which I liked. We need to see a few more eliminations before we can effectively judge.

Finnegan77

[5]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 27
    I agree that the couple drama certainly had me rolling my eyes. I don't want Top Chef to become Big Brother, or even begin to resemble it a little bit. Please, can we cut the soap opera drama and get to the cooking?

Quickfire deep dish pizza challenge was an interesting introduction to these characters, and I have to say the way they portrayed Nimma made it pretty obvious that she wasn't up to the Top Chef challenge. Just didn't seem driven/talented enough to make it in this environment.

I did like the Elimination challenge tweak, with the chefs going head to head - nice. But souffle? Couldn't the judges have seen the complete failures associated with that dish coming a mile away? It was also a good way to do the "traditional fare" challenge in a different way. Too early to judge my favorite yet, but, if the preview for next week is an honest portrayal of the show, let me just say, YUCK! What's with the drama so early? If that is the way the season is slated to go, color me gone.

starwolf99

[6]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 12

Finnegan77 wrote:
    I agree that the couple drama certainly had me rolling my eyes. I don't want Top Chef to become Big Brother, or even begin to resemble it a little bit. Please, can we cut the soap opera drama and get to the cooking? Quickfire deep dish pizza challenge was an interesting introduction to these characters, and I have to say the way they portrayed Nimma made it pretty obvious that she wasn't up to the Top Chef challenge. Just didn't seem driven/talented enough to make it in this environment. I did like the Elimination challenge tweak, with the chefs going head to head - nice. But souffle? Couldn't the judges have seen the complete failures associated with that dish coming a mile away? It was also a good way to do the "traditional fare" challenge in a different way. Too early to judge my favorite yet, but, if the preview for next week is an honest portrayal of the show, let me just say, YUCK! What's with the drama so early? If that is the way the season is slated to go, color me gone.
    There's going to be drama regardless. It was like that for Season 3, and that was pretty good. Hopefully, it won't be like the joke that was Season 2. As for the souffle, even though the 2 chefs did not have much experience in making it, they should have at least the knowledge to know the basics. The judges expected failures, but not in the area of putting weight on a delicate surface.

I think Ninna just got the wind kicked out of her early on when she realized the competition. If I'm not mistaken, she was up against a sous chef from Cirque in NY which is pretty impressive.

Edited on 03/13/2008 10:24am

BrainMan820

[7]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 16

And a new season of Top Chef starts out.

The Quickfire thrilled me. Pizza's a food that practically every American knows, and Chicago's specialty is it's deep-dish. I'm a huge fan of it (although a previous food poisoning incident prevents me from eating at a Pizzeria Uno's). I thought the peaches on the pizza was ballsy, and I really liked the risks there. I'm intrigued enough to want to try it myself.

Elimination was tricky. My heart went out to the two chefs making souffles. I've made one before, and I'll never make another one. It was such a disaster. Those are not easy to make. I think Ninna's poor shrimp was worth going home over when compared to the others, easily. Making a dish that wasn't reminiscient doesn't address the challenge, but inedible is inedible.

As for the couple, I think they are at a real disadvantage. But, oh well. They chose this disadvantage, so they'll live with it. If they don't see how much of a disadvantage it is now, they will soon enough. I thought the challenge itself was great for a first challenge, ascertaining the basics is "beginner" to a T, and knowing the basics is key for innovation. Unlike that dreadful "recreation" dish in Season 3 that happened way too late and smacked of the pretentiousness of one place, these were classics. I didn't eat a lot of duck a l'orange, but I knew what it was.

KCMask

[8]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 21
    OMG, what is it? try to see how many times you can say the F-word on TV!??????? I HATE the Emeneim whiteboyganstawanna be! HATE!!!! Potty McPottymouth! It was obvious the first girl was out of her league. I could have made what she did! LOL. LOVED the winning dish. The lesbian couple is a total stunt, imo. Whatever. I just want the swearing to stop--there's no reason for it. Families watch the show, and I know it's "Real" but come on...every other word out of some of their mouths? sooooooo not classy!!!! PS. I would think by now, if you're on the show, you know to study the "local cuisine"!! Good quick fire,

combatjammer

[9]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    OMG. Someone please remind me never never ever to watch Top Chef on an empty stomach! The show is new to me since I've never watched any of the previous seasons, and I'm glad I watched it. The revelation of the couple in the beginning was a total "DUH" moment. Its information that honestly doesn't require any airing. So the two are a couple ... err ... so what? Maybe its for the drama that will ensue later. And I agree with KC. The amount of swearing astounds me. Almost every other sentence had a bleep. Just amazing. Still, the challenges were really good so I'm definitely gonna continue watching this .... Just gotta remember ... eat before watching .... lest I salivate a little too much!

gabfan31

[10]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 100
    I agree that the swearing got to be a bit much, but if the homeboy gets eliminated quickly that will cut out a good seventy-five percent of it. I loved the Quickfire, although I have never been a deep dish fan. Still, for Chicago, it was totally appropriate. I also loved the head to head format of the Elimination Challenge, though like everyone else I really thought they could have come up with a classic other than souffle! What about veal cordon bleu? I love it, and I think you could do a lot with it, but it's a real classic. I didn't have a problem with the lesbian couple, and I applaud them for telling everybody about their relationship immediately, since that will make it tougher for them to... collaborate(?) unfairly in the competition. Aside from the Challenges themselves, I don't care what their personal life is. I want everybody to have a level playing field, and I think they can achieve that in spite of the fact that they are a couple. After all, they both want to win, even if they don't want to be the one who sends the other home. It may in fact hamper them in the long run, but they knew that coming in, so no sympathy, either. May the best chef win!

boromirbeauty

[11]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 61
    I did love the quickfire. I'm sad to say I've never had deep dish pizza so I wasn't sure which one I would have thought best, but it was easy to tell which combos I would be hard pressed to try. The one on one elimination was interesting but I wish they could have changed it up just a bit so that if both chefs were bad they both stood a chance for elimination and same with if both were good/winning. I am totally happy with who they sent home, never serve me salty shrimp! This season looks like it could be explosive if the language is any indication, we will have to see.

Ditto338

[12]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    boromirbeauty wrote:
    The one on one elimination was interesting but I wish they could have changed it up just a bit so that if both chefs were bad they both stood a chance for elimination and same with if both were good/winning.
    Agreed

danharr

[13]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 45
    The pizza's were fun especially seeing a winner with peach and I was shocked at a couple being on the show but Bravo does have large demographic to play too so there you had it.