TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

"Chef Overboard" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Chef Overboard."

"Talk amongst yourselves… " –Linda Richman
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gabfan31

[3]Sep 7, 2007
    • level: 100
    Wow, nobody's commented yet on the bulldog getting sent to the pound? Well, I for one thought it was long overdue. Apparently he thought so to, since he did everything he could to sabotage his chances, first with the no-show in the QuickFire, and then his questionable choices for the Elimination Challenge. And I was totally disgusted with his revisionist claims in his final interview that he "did the right thing", as if he left by his own choice, not because his food sucked the worst on that day. They didn't accept his "manful" attempt to fall on his sword, it was just another case of his ego being too big for his bullet shaped head! He did not leave on his own terms, unless he's going to try to say that he made crap on toast with the direct intention of getting thrown overboard! Anyways, enough about him already. Brian was another huge disappointment. He totally wasted his opportunity to shine again, and he's made it pretty clear that, while he makes a great cheerleader, he doesn't have the necessary executive skills to run a business. It's not about making his own good food in that case, it's about having an overall vision and inspiring those around him to follow him to creating it. He's one of my favorites, but at this point I just don't see him as a Top Chef. I would eat at his restaurant anytime, but if he were running the business I'd hurry to do it, because I don't think it would be open long. But I was very pleased to see Casey and Sara shine with their choices, and while early on I thought Sara was fighting out of her weight class, she has really stepped it up lately and proven she has the strength and the necessary unflappability to get the job done under pressure. I can now actually see her making it to the finals. I've always liked Casey, and I was glad to see her make some good choices and get the win. Dale takes risks that don't always work out, but I still see him as a dark horse to make it to the finals. Hung had fun with the QuickFire, but I think he missed the point of the Elimination Challenge. Yes, you want to please your guests, but you also want to wow them, and salmon mousse isn't going to do that, even with caviar on top. CJ had another pretty good showing, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to go all the way. But I thought the Challenges were both good, and I'm getting more into the season three show as time goes on, so hopefully things will continue to build until they reach the finals in just a few more weeks.

BrainMan820

[4]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 16

The Quickfire was a strange one, and some people just get thrown by strangeness. Brian understood it. He knew he was criticized for doing only fish, so he went for meat. Those are the kinds of risks he took as a Top Chef. Casey also did a fabulous job. And in the bottom, we have (not surprisingly) Hung. It's one thing to have fun cooking, but people have to know what you're doing. I saw him crushing cereal and making something that bordered on Frank's Mushroom Wonderland fantasy from the TGIF challenge last season, and I too said "WTF is he doing?"

When it came to the elimination challenge, I have mixed feelings about Brian. He was the Team Leader of the challenge, but he didn't feel as though he was an executive chef. Personally, I believe him. At this point in the challenge, the chefs have proven themselves enough, they don't need to be babyed. They are not sous-chefs or line cooks, as Brian said. They need to be able to impress the judges. He may have seemed more like a cheerleader, but a cheerleader was more necessary then an executive chef in a challenge like this.

Though I've never catered events, I stretch my budget everytime I shop, which is often. So I can appreciate this challenge for that aspect the most. I was really upset at the decision making of some chefs to make two dishes. Okay, if Howie wants to redeem himself, that's fine. But making two dishes is not the way to do it. You redeem yourself through a quality product. And dividing your time among two things is going to hurt the quality.

Sara's dish was excellent, and I appreciated her concern to go vegetarian because fashionistas are weird when it comes to eating. CJ also impressed me by doing something solid and good. I don't think Casey deserved to win, but her dish was not bad and certianly not bottom worthy. The other two just put out a better product.

When it comes to the low-end, we've got everyone else. Brian and Hung were stuck in mediocre land, but went down to the bottom for other reasons. Tom criticized Brian's leadership and drew ire when Brian defended himself (to be fair, everyone would do that) and Hung, whose dish was nothing special, was criticized because bland uninspired "X numbers of years old" dishes are not going to win this challenge. Hung said he could have done better, so what the hell was he doing. Maybe he just doesn't want this enough.

If Howie had done only one dish, he might have had a better one then Dale. But he divided his time and made the uninspired phyllo-wrapped cigar and didn't remove the gills from his mushrooms, which is how they turned brown. Dale's dish was just awful. Yogurt would make those things soggy. He needed that cheese more then anything.

I'll probably draw fire from this, but I didn't think Brian was worthy of going home. I think that editor of Food & Wine needs to think a little more about where she is and what she is doing. Hors d'ouevres are one-bite things and they are eaten without utensils and cannot be sloppy. Putting them on crostinis makes it easier for the guests. Seeing her on this show made me beg for Gail to return.

sparkie_ac

[5]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 18
    Well after missing the first airing and only getting to read the blogs on Bravotv I finally caught the re-run last night.

Overall I am disappointed in all of the Chefs, they are not acting like a Top Chef or in it to win the title. They just seem to all be hoping to buy time until the finals. Come on this is Top Chef act like it and bring it! That said....

Am I disappointed that Howie went home? Hmm well not really there where plenty of time prior that I beleive he should have. Did I fall for the fall on his sword to save Brian and go out like he wanted. Ahhh not really but hey I will give him more respect than some of the other in this episode. I was happy when he did at least kind of stand up and say no desert cause it was not working.

I really have to says I think the judges where wrong on Brian in the show but in Tom's blog he admits to it so I will not blash them. I think that Brian may have it in him to be Top Chef he just needs some more mentoring like the judges said of Marcel last year.

I didn't care Casey's part or her dish. I don't think she deserved the win and I don't see anything in her that is what a Top Chef is. It was not like she did one dish and nailed it home, she did two and flopped on one and was pretty on the next. She has never showed leadership ever!!!! And she is not a team player, she rather just stand over on the side and do her thing and blah blah.

Sarah she is not much better, while she did have a good showing in the second episode of restruant wars otherwise if she wants to be Top Cehf she needs to step it up. She could be the first women Top Chef but she has to really show some skill and bring it everytime and not play safe.

Hung disappointed me. He has a lot of talent to me and could go all the way but he just sat after showing his skill in the quickfire. Maybe it was the quest judge scaring him but he has to stand up and still show he is more than just safe plain Jane!!! He had a chase to wow ahd show he is after Top Chef even if he was not leader but he took a back seat like Casey always does. CJ he talks big but I have yet to see him too stand up and show but at least he didn't bomb this week. No more to say there. Dale well yah his hair is the only thing that stands up about him and his skill is nothing major to bring. If he is lucky he can hind in the shadow another week.

Next week I am hoping for some cooking and some actual showing of Chefs. I remember in the show down between season one and two that season three was judging and they thought they could beat season one. Yah not one person except Tre could stand up to season one just because at least they came to play and showed top chef material. And so ends my long opinion LOL.