Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Down On the Farm" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Down On the Farm."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 45
    Good challenges lots of fun with Stephan being the male reproductive organ but Arianne going home no Hosea should've went for not being a leader the only saving grace for Leah but I can't think of why they sent Arianne home.

BrainMan820

[3]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 16

I didn't really get behind the Quickfire, and surprisingly, I thought I would when I saw it. I'm all for not putting on airs, but really, nothing seemed different. I thought Jeff was robbed of yet another victory, but I agreed that Radhika didn't step up and do more.

I rather liked the elimination challenge, since it was, again, very broad and allowed the chefs to do what they do best. I'm surprised they did family style twice in a row, but it's not a bad thing. Carla receiving her first victory went over well with me, and I'm glad that she asserted herself with Jamie to knock over Stefan the bully. I knew she could do it if she just calmed down.

As for the bottom, I'm willing to cut Jeff a little slack with cutting the fat, since health food seems to be all the craze these days. I agree with Ariane being sent home if she poorly butchered that leg of lamb, but I'm disappointed, really disappointed, in Leah. She's started out strong and now, she's forgettable. Hosea has still been stepping up, but he's slacked off here too.

goa103

[4]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 21

BrainMan820 wrote:
    I agree with Ariane being sent home if she poorly butchered that leg of lamb, but I'm disappointed, really disappointed, in Leah. She's started out strong and now, she's forgettable. Hosea has still been stepping up, but he's slacked off here too.

I'm also disappointed by Leah and Hosea. Specially their attitude toward Ariane because they didn't help her. She was the perfect team player and the others threw her under the bus. Hosea said he knows how to butcher meat and Leah to tie things. They both failed to show us their skills. At least Ariane said the truth but I agree with the decision of the judges. However I really don't understand why Leah didn't tie the lamb well. I sort of agree with Padma when she said Leah just wanted the judges to blame Ariane for the lamb.

Anyway I think Leah was just bored or tired this challenge, she probably miss her boyfriend or something. Moreover I can't help thinking they kept Leah and Hosea because they make good TV, I mean the whole flirting thing going on...

wingsabre

[5]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    I'm not very in to the whole Sandra Lee crap but yeah, every chef should be able to make ingredients of poor quality taste better. That's why we have blood sausage, tripe, and other offal food. On the bright side, no "season packets" and booze drinking dimwit.

After the discussion Tom had with them during the Christmas elimination challenge, I thought they would learn from now but it looks as if they've returned to their old ways. Stephan is annoying the heck out of me. Common, hot soup in the middle of the summer? The whole point of the challenge was to cook seasonal food and how soup in August weather is not very seasonal. The inability to compromise with other teammates and working with others is a clear sign that he's going to create a huge fight in the future like Marcel did in season 2. The only difference was Marcel was actually able to grow a pair and have enough respect to work under someone.

I'm also disappointed in Leah and Hosea. They don't seem to show initiative, and although Ariane is not always the contestant to show initiative, at least she stepped up. Leah clearly knew she didn't do much, and didn't try to step in, be assertive, and have herself displayed on the dish. Additionally, the judges most likely don't know about Leah and Hosea, since the rules prevent them from interacting with the contestants, and from seeing what's behind the scene. Since it was family style, they should have just cooked the whole leg in the oven, and they would have been free to add more components.

Jeff cut out the fat, but it's not a really big deal in my mind, since you don't always need fat. Fat's usually there for both flavor and to keep it moist. I don't recall that they thought the meat was dry, they just said it was lacking in flavor. It's really a shame though, since the pigs looked like they were the Berkshire breed. The fat from that breed has such a beautiful sweet musky taste that's incomparable to other pork. I was only able to taste it with ramen noodle from Daikokuya, but it was well worth it.

Restaurant war is next, and I expect Leah or Stephan to go.

vincent_chien7

[6]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 11
    [QUOTE="goa103"]

BrainMan820 wrote:
    Anyway I think Leah was just bored or tired this challenge, she probably miss her boyfriend or something. Moreover I can't help thinking they kept Leah and Hosea because they make good TV, I mean the whole flirting thing going on...

I can't believe I didn't think of that! Now that you've pointed that out, it seems so true, especially after that episode aired, they showed a preview of the next episode with them cuddling and flirting with each other. And I also think Arianne shouldn't have gone home. She was definitely one of the best chefs there. Top Chef's (Bravo) loss... My logic here is that if the judges aren't supposed to take previous challenges into account (they eliminated Arianne purely on the lamb in this challenge, even though she's so good), then they really should not take in factors of continuity (as in Leah and Hosea).

goa103

[7]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 21
    vincent_chien7 wrote:

I can't believe I didn't think of that! Now that you've pointed that out, it seems so true, especially after that episode aired, they showed a preview of the next episode with them cuddling and flirting with each other.

I also watch Top Design and Project Runway and there're even more examples. I don't mean it's all planned but some "this show is not written" mistakes are obvious if you're a bit paranoiac like me
    vincent_chien7 wrote:

And I also think Arianne shouldn't have gone home. She was definitely one of the best chefs there. Top Chef's (Bravo) loss... My logic here is that if the judges aren't supposed to take previous challenges into account (they eliminated Arianne purely on the lamb in this challenge, even though she's so good), then they really should not take in factors of continuity (as in Leah and Hosea).

In fact I completely disagree with what the new annoying judge said about not taking into account the previous challenges. Of course they should consider them ! I mean Ariane was definitely the Top Chef when it comes to cooking meat. That's why she won so many times. Moreover it's clear the other judges think it's important to judge them globally. For example Padma mentionned Ariane's previous wins. Also Tom noted Carla already did the same dessert. It's a great one but I think it shows she's not creative and innovative enough. It's a mistake that reminds me of Jamie's scallops but at least her goal was to cook them well to redeem herself, and she successfully did so it was all for the best. Anyway Toby is just here to appeal the audience with his stupid and annoying comments. He reminds me of Eddie in Top Design season 2. You have to watch it to believe it ! I really feel like Carla when she screamed for Gail to come back ! I can't believe they replaced such a beautiful and talented woman with That Thing. It seems TV producers can't help following the same patterns and it really annoys me. It's like a bad reality TV remake of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly except there're rainbow cooks, arrogant europeans (But I like Fabio !) and barking judges . Don't get me wrong, I love BRAVO shows but sometimes the decisions are just too stupid and I don't like to watch written reality TV when it's not supposed to be.

wingsabre

[8]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    I don't think the judges judge the contestants globally, but they do make notes of past challenges in their head. For example in that blind challenge, they were able to taste the dishes and figure out who made what. They should by now, since every chef has their own technique and style. That allows them to figure out of the dish was poorly made due to problem at conception or problem at execution. In this case, I think they assumed that Ariane did all of the protein, and because of that messed up at conception and execution in their mind and deserved to go home.

BTW, I don't think Ariane even wanted to cook the lamb that way. If I recalled it looked like it was Hosea's idea, and she just okayed it to not make a big deal about it. The problem at conception was Hosea and Leah did nothing.

boromirbeauty

[9]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 61
    I was very sad to see Ariane go. I thought that it should have been one of her teammates. But what can you do right? At least I know for sure now that Hosea isn't going to win, so that's something at least.