Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

"Eastern Promise" - Official Discussion Thread and Poll (Spoilers)

This Episode Was:

layle1

[1]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 72

Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, Eastern Promise.

"Talk amongst yourselves... "

Edited on 10/25/2006 8:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Clem4077

[2]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 7
    I just finished watching this episode and I wondered why if Marisa was so put off by Otto saying they - the Korean team - had gotten the lycee for free, she didn't say something about it right then and there? They had just packed up the van, or that is the way it's edited, and she could have everyone wait a few moments while the item was taken back into the store. But the way she handled it looked as though she wanted to make sure her own self was in the clear and Otto was the bad guy. Though he volunteered, he shouldn't have gone home.

PintheDog

[3]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 29
    Clem4077 wrote:
    I just finished watching this episode and I wondered why if Marisa was so put off by Otto saying they - the Korean team - had gotten the lycee for free, she didn't say something about it right then and there? They had just packed up the van, or that is the way it's edited, and she could have everyone wait a few moments while the item was taken back into the store. But the way she handled it looked as though she wanted to make sure her own self was in the clear and Otto was the bad guy. Though he volunteered, he shouldn't have gone home.

I think he was the right choice, actually. He took some lychees that hadn't been paid for and wouldn't assume any responsibility for it. He deserved to go.

layle1

[4]Oct 26, 2006
    What's interesting to me is that it seemed, from what Colicchio said, that if Otto had taken responsibility and NOT bowed out, probably Marisa would have had to leave. It sounded as though they just wanted him to take responsibility and then that would have allowed them to get rid of Marisa.

boromirbeauty

[5]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 61
    layle1 wrote:
    What's interesting to me is that it seemed, from what Colicchio said, that if Otto had taken responsibility and NOT bowed out, probably Marisa would have had to leave. It sounded as though they just wanted him to take responsibility and then that would have allowed them to get rid of Marisa.

Same here, that's what I thought as well. Also, after they packed up the food Otto said, "I think we may have gotten a case of lycees for free." As if he was unsure. He didn't gloat about it like Marisa said he did.

XGustaX

[6]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 1

Yeah I was really really pissed that they even blamed it on Otto seriously.... It was an honest mistake and you could even see he was not planning to use it... To me the reason he bowed out to me at least was that his team memebers made him feel guilty... ugh Seriously I was starting to really like Otto tho. Yeah Marissa was totally lying also He never said that he knew he was un sure about it himself and she pointed to blame to him causing everyone else to loose momentum.

Edited on 10/26/2006 10:11am

PintheDog

[7]Oct 26, 2006
    XGustaX wrote:

Yeah I was really really pissed that they even blamed it on Otto seriously.... It was an honest mistake and you could even see he was not planning to use it... To me the reason he bowed out to me at least was that his team memebers made him feel guilty... ugh Seriously I was starting to really like Otto tho. Yeah Marissa was totally lying also He never said that he knew he was un sure about it himself and she pointed to blame to him causing everyone else to loose momentum.

Yeah, whatever. They saved him to send Suyai packing last week, so I was more than happy to see him go this week.

desert05

[8]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 12
    I think Otto seemed like an ethical man, and one that might've been interesting to follow for awhile. However, there was something short in his comment about the lychees. I don't think he was going to outright steal them, but almost took it as a 'bonus' or something. It might've been in the editing, or it might've been something he was trying to work out in his head on the trip back to the kitchen?? We'll never know, but he should've taken the crate right back into the store, and figured it out before he left. As it was, he was a definite distraction during the challenge. Marisa shouldn't be penalized for being uncomfortable about the lychees. She spoke up, and she should've. They weren't theirs to use. I'm enjoying these first episodes, and like some of the chefs. Padma is working out well, IMO. Marcel is getting on my nerves already....I have a feeling it won't be long before someone puts him in his place. He has an air about him not unlike Stephen last year.

SSPrincess

[9]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 8
    I'm glad Otto's gone...he just gave me a bad vibe from the first show.

...and a sidenote I kinda hope Marcel makes it all the way to the end...he's pretty cute!

PintheDog

[10]Oct 27, 2006
    SSPrincess wrote:
    I'm glad Otto's gone...he just gave me a bad vibe from the first show.

Oh, so am I, but mostly because he survived the first week when Suyai should've.

desert05

[11]Oct 28, 2006
    [QUOTE="PintheDog]Oh, so am I, but mostly because he survived the first week when Suyai should've.[/QUOTE]

I think Suyai probably should've gone that first show. She seemed really nice, and might've made a good chef to watch and grow....however, she seemed out of her league with some of these chefs. She panicked and just couldn't really recover.

oasis_feild

[12]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 2
     I think that she didn't mention anything right there and then, because she was too nervous. She didn't really want to make a scene, were she would have to confront  someone and stand up for what she thought is right, and personally i believe she is too scared and shy to do things like that.

layle1

[13]Oct 29, 2006
    See, I think she's incredibly passive-aggressive. She certainly wasn't shy about calling Elia a liar at the judge's table, and instead of confronting Otto directly, she went first to Ilan and then to Colicchio.

tiredoldguy

[14]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 4

Otto got hosed by his "buddies".  I don't buy that only Marisa heard him at the store.  Also, she knew and took no action, why wasn't she chastised? 

This issue took away form the food aspect of the challange.  If you really want to see how this competition should be run, and you have access to BBC America, watch Masterchef goes Large weekdays at 6:30pm eastern.  This show was the forerunner to Top Chef.  It is all about the knowledge and skills of the aspiring Masterchef!

dbcsdragon

[15]Oct 29, 2006

That sounds interesting.  I prefer the cooking part of Top Chef to the soap opera dramas between characters.  Thanks for the suggestion.

KazeFuuma

[16]Oct 31, 2006
    • level: 10
    I like watcing this show on the weekends when nothing is on during the day. Its just one of those shows. I had an interest in this one because I'm Vietnamese and wanted to see what they made. The only thing that irked me was the icon for TEAM VIETNAM. Could they have used the non-communist flag for the team icon instead? That just annoyed me while watching the whole time.