Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

Hung should go home

leme009

[1]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 9

I´m sorry, but I just do not like him! I think he is rude, and everything he does is great, even if the guest hef sais otherwise.

What do you guys think of him?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ketg

[2]Jul 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    He annoys me. He is this season's Stephen and Marcel in my eyes. All of them have talent, and all of them think that since they have talent, everyone else there must be hacks compared to them. Stephen at least seemed to have realized what a putz he made of himself first season after watching it, he mellowed quite a bit. I've seen no such mellowing in Marcel, and I would be surprised if Hung could learn to moderate himself, either. I doubt he'll leave for a while because he does have talent, and he does add drama to the show. But we can always hope. Maybe he'll do something else stupid with a knife and they'll get rid of him for that.

Paradox2007

[3]Jul 22, 2007
    STephen seemed to return to his old arrogant ways in the Season 3 special episode. He didn't seem very modest then.

gabfan31

[4]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 100
    There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Hung crosses it at light speed in just about every episode so far. Marcel also displays it on a regular basis. Stephen seems to be arrogant, but I think he would argue that it's confidence, and after his public apology to Candice I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, even after his performance on the Four Star Challenge. After all, is it arrogance if you predict a sweeping win and you are right?

sparkie_ac

[5]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 18
    Hung didn't seem to hit that nerve for me right away but is the past episodes he hits in at judges table. But after the last to seasons two people that alot of fans didn't like made it a long way, heck Marcel made it to the finals. So I don't think just because he is annoying is a reason to send him home. And he didn't cut Casey last episode where Cliff did man handle Marcel so it is not fair to send him packing for that either. Hopefully he will calm after Tom's warning.

You know there is always a guy that everyone doesn't like and funny thing is that Hung even said in the being if the season that he was not afraid of being that guy, huh go figure....

KSterner

[6]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 1
    Hung is talented, but good Lord, he doesn't seem to have any ability to accept criticism from his peers or culinary Jedis. He dissed James Portale for criticizing the proportions of his Quickfire shellfish dish, and now was mega-defensive over his awful Arroz con Pollo- which most likely overcooked itself in the catering hotbox. 
    Somebody tell this kid to just concentrate on the food, and quit playing villain. 

wingsabre

[7]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 13
    yeah, he most likely did a decent Arroz con Pollo dish, but it over cooked in the hotbox, and Casey's chicken probably went through that too. Although I can't really see a way rice can get overcooked in a hotbox. If it's cooked right it doesn't get overcooked, it just stays warm.

The only think I'm really happy about Hung compared to Marcel is we're seeing different things from him. We're not seeing foam dish after foam dish. Hung has talent, he just needs to accept criticism or he's not going to go far.

Paradox2007

[8]Jul 23, 2007
    True b/c if he does manage to stay in the competition, near the end they're going to send him home for his arrogance. *part* of why Stephen was sent home was because of his inability to take responsibility for his failings, which could easily happen to Hung in the final episodes, as the judging becomes tougher and they look for more reasons to send a person home

Starghella

[9]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    I definitely think that Hung should be the next to go unless he seriously changes his attitude. He always thinks that his food is top and that leaves no room for him to learn or to get any better. While I am sure that he is a very good chef, he is inconsistent and not at the top nearly enough for him to have that kind of arrogance. He always thinks the guest judges are wrong about his food even though they are culinary experts and hes just a sous chef. Ive had enough of him!

boromirbeauty

[10]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 61
    I think Hung has talent but he's not so nice so he gets a thumbs down for me. Of the three "bad guys" Stephen was my favorite. I think he could outcook either of the other two.

sparkie_ac

[11]Jul 23, 2007
    All in all it is too early to send him home solely based on his attitude, we will just have to sit back and see if his talent can keep him in the pack and laugh at his 'I am god see me cook' chatter.

sparkie_ac

[12]Jul 25, 2007
    Harold stated in the episode tonight that he thinks that Hung is going to be in the final!!!!!! How interesting that Harold winner of season 1 has that to say.

hoobstab

[13]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 7
    Funny you should mention Marcel and Hung as two of the more arrogant chefs in the seasons so far. If I remember correctly, Marcel mentioned that he and Hung were friends in the Season 1 vs. Season 2 challenge, didn't he?

leme009

[14]Jul 26, 2007

sparkie_ac wrote:
    Harold stated in the episode tonight that he thinks that Hung is going to be in the final!!!!!! How interesting that Harold winner of season 1 has that to say.

That really surprised me too! Harold is great, so if he thinks Hung will be on the finals, I´m guessing that is going to happen.

At the end of every show, in the credits, it says that Bravo TV has influence on the judges decitions. So, If we all keep talking about Hung, and how arrogant he is, I´m shure they will keep him there.

Paradox2007

[15]Jul 26, 2007
    Sometimes I'm not sure whether that is put there as a Reality TV standard, or in case they really want to use it. Because it does seem like some people *COUGHBettyCOUGhHowieCOUGH* should have gone home earlier than they did. However Chef Tom stated in his blog that he agreed to be a judge on the show as long as the producers stayed out of the judging process. But they do seem to have the final say, as Chef Tom wanted to give Marcel the Top Chef title after the prank played on him, but the producers overruled him
    Edited on 07/26/2007 1:57pm

sparkie_ac

[16]Jul 26, 2007
    Paradox2007 wrote:
    Sometimes I'm not sure whether that is put there as a Reality TV standard, or in case they really want to use it. Because it does seem like some people *COUGHBettyCOUGhHowieCOUGH* should have gone home earlier than they did. However Chef Tom stated in his blog that he agreed to be a judge on the show as long as the producers stayed out of the judging process. But they do seem to have the final say, as Chef Tom wanted to give Marcel the Top Chef title after the prank played on him, but the producers overruled him

Hmmm very true ....how can we call it reality tv and say that they are really being judged then?!?!?! Hell lets just pick a name out of the hat to send people home. But then again it is all about rating as far as producer are concerned.

Back to point at hand I don't see Tom sending Hung home just yet and I am very interested now that Harold has said that he sees Hung going to finals. It would to interesting to see how close Harold called it

gabfan31

[17]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 100
    There's a difference between the judges making the call on which chef gets sent home in an episode and the producers over ruling Tom when he basically wants to end the season several episodes early and declare the most controversial chef the winner. The producers had to make the call to save the final challenges, as I think anyone can understand and accept as within their purview. It's when people say that Tom is a puppet for the producers who are masterminding a good vs evil final episode that I object. I think Tom acts in good faith by sending home the chef he honestly feels deserves it that week. Are the judges some times inconsistent in their criteria? Heck yes! But I never doubt their sincerity.

boromirbeauty

[18]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 61
    hoobstab wrote:
    Funny you should mention Marcel and Hung as two of the more arrogant chefs in the seasons so far. If I remember correctly, Marcel mentioned that he and Hung were friends in the Season 1 vs. Season 2 challenge, didn't he?

Yes, they used to work together.

MegaDragonGod

[19]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 4
    Well, Hung is talented, but he really is annoying and looks like he doesn't care about his mistakes. So he better change his attitude or he won't be able to win.

leme009

[20]Aug 2, 2007
    I think Hung is a wierd combination between Tiffany, season 1, and Marcel season 2. That should be something hard to deal with while working