Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoIn Season

"Le Bernardin" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Was the correct chef sent home?

layle1

[1]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Le Bernardin."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb

Edited on 02/04/2009 9:26pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BrainMan820

[2]Feb 4, 2009
    • level: 16

I'm really into things when the judges have fun with the challenges, and not make them just typical "prepare a dish" challenges. I understand the importance of them, but when they do things like the fillet race, I chuckle, and tune in. It keeps things varied, while, at the same time, keeping them appropriate. (and "fillet" rhymes with "relay")

But I tuned out the second we got the elimination challenge. Recreations. Blegh. No imagination. Just do it like I say, like we're back in grade school. Since I couldn't even bring myself to watch it, I won't comment on who deserved to go or stay, but we've been having some high notes for these season so far.

I wonder who's going to go next? Between Radhika, Jeff and Jamie, one slip-up will kill you.

danharr

[3]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 45
    Well it was good enough for me a true test of the chefs skill can they imitate the best good question. I was so sad Leah didn't go home her head is somewhere else and she really doesn't need to be there anymore. So nice to see Carla stepping up a lot of people myself included thought she'd be gone by now but she's hanging in there nice to see. Hosea got his but kicked on a seafood dish hmm a lot of stuff this seafood chef hasn't worked with interesting and great time watching Stephan take out that eel. Makes me think the American cuisine really needs a boost since all the chefs were in awe of this ingredient most if all of them never used.

starwolf99

[4]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 12

I am relieved that Eric Ripert was brought back in a more official judging capacity (compared to the Cliff/Marcel disaster in Season 2, the Jackson Hole Challenge in Season 3, and the Holiday special). He proves that he is still one of the best chefs period. I sometimes wondered if it took a true European to understand his cooking style and philosophy, hence Stefan's double win. He may be this season's Hung (cocky, born outside the U.S., but puts his money where his mouth is in challenges). Sadly, this makes Leah this season's Lisa (that cheftestant in which you have no idea why is she still around despite abysmal failures in challenges).

I can only assume what was edited out of the judges' table comments since Colicchio was adamant about eliminating Leah in this episode. Jamie was bad, but Leah was worse in both the Quickfire and Elimination.

goa103

[5]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 21
    I found the previous episode stupid but this one was quite interesting. The Quickfire reminded me of the "Melting Pot" one, 1st episode. Watching Stefan working on the eel was mesmerizing.

About Leah. I really don't get it. In "Down On the Farm" Ariane was eliminated instead of her. In "Restaurant Wars" we saw her kissing Hosea. Now she really failed, in both challenges and even gave up the Quickfire, but Jamie was eliminated instead. It doesn't make any sense.

Seriously, who bought the judges ?

dbcsdragon

[6]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 12
    starwolf99 wrote:

Sadly, this makes Leah this season's Lisa (that cheftestant in which you have no idea why is she still around despite abysmal failures in challenges).

I agree completely. During the early episodes Leah did pretty well, especially in Quickfires. However, she should have been sent home during the Farm Challenge and every one thereafter. During the today show, the judges hounded Jamie about her attitude after failing the demo, but made only a brief reference to Leah giving up mid-challenge. IMO Jamie was the better cook, although sometimes her attitude needed some help.