Top Chef Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on BravoBetween Seasons

"Melting Pot" Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

layle1

[1]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 72
    Please use this thread for all discussion of the episode, "Melting Pot."

"Conversation is food for the soul." –Mexican Proverb

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 45
    So far none of the chef capture my interest all of them are either done that already or just not interesting. I wanted army wife to stay and due to the fact that what's her face had 20 years experience and still made an awful dish she should've left. Oh well all the food looked good hopefully the action will grab me later on but then again each show has to have a weak season and I fear this is it.

Finnegan77

[3]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 27
    danharr wrote:
    So far none of the chef capture my interest all of them are either done that already or just not interesting. I wanted army wife to stay and due to the fact that what's her face had 20 years experience and still made an awful dish she should've left. Oh well all the food looked good hopefully the action will grab me later on but then again each show has to have a weak season and I fear this is it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The premiere was a yawner for me, but it often takes me a few shows to make any connection with the chefs. It just seems as if this group was chosen for the "oddness" factor more often than not: dishwasher turned chef, European egotist, woman whose spirit guides show her what to cook, etc. I was never more surprised to hear Chef Tom say something about this being the "best group ever" at Judges' Table. Huh?

wingsabre

[4]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 13
    I thought their top looked better than some seasons, but their bottom clearly weren't. I'm assuming they allowed more individuals into this season, since past seasons looked find dinning heavy. They probably felt that they were sending the wrong message, you know, to be a top chef you have to work in fine dining.

Stephan may be European and egotist, but I'm not ignorant to just classify him as that. It's clear that he's not all talk. Eugene is also quite impressive.

For the bottom two, I think they made the right choice. It's clear that Patrick had more potential since he's a blank slate, but it's also very clear that he's not going to reach his full potential this season. He's still in school, and what he made was not very Asian. Plus, who wants to win this by making salad?

Ariane had 20 years experience, but it looked like the main problem with her dish was timing. It wasn't flavor. They did say that one aspect of her dish ruined everything else. They didn't mention multiple factors.

Lauren. That was mean! She didn't even get to see the kitchen or get judged by everyone. Although she did make salad. Common, we've been through this before, and the only person that actually made it with salad was Antonia. What made Antonia stand out though was her salad was very unique. It wasn't something you could find in a bagged salad at trader joe.

MizzGMC23

[5]Nov 13, 2008
    • level: 19
    Sorry to disagree with wingsabre but I was truly glad to see Lauren go. She looked like she was auditioning for her own show! I like self confidence - but it has to be backed up with more than just some words and looks to camera. I'm no chef but even I could have come up with her salad. I liked Patrick but it was right for him to go. If he couldn't manage to pull off a convincing Chinese recipe after being surrounded by East Asian spices then maybe his palate isn't going to be as sophisticated as some others either, and he could have suffered further problems along the line. I'm sure he'll understand his loss more as he tries more styles of food. Hopefully (for her) Ariane will redeem herself and show that her 20 years experience means something. Being a European myself I was quite pleased to see some others and, although I don't like the arrogance (unless it's justified - and maybe time will show that it is), I fear it could be what it takes to make a top European "Celebrity TV" chef in the US. Gordon Ramsey springs to mind, as other less arrogant chefs, such as Jamie Oliver & Rick Stein haven't had US shows! (Please feel free to argue the point though. It is, after all, only this Brits opinion - I'd love to be proved wrong.)

wingsabre

[6]Nov 14, 2008
    MizzGMC23, read carefully, you agreed with me. I didn't think it was right to kick Lauren out so early, but it was justified. She made salad. This is top chef, not top salad. Almost everyone who made a salad for an elimination challenge gets kicked out.

BTW, Nigella Lawson, Danny Boome, and Jamie Oliver did have a recent US show. The "Two Fat Ladies" were also shown, and Robert Irvine also had a US show, but I don't really count his discredited career. European like Hubert Keller and Jose Andres, currently have shows on PBS, which is national. Gordon Ramsey has a show in the US, but to tell you the truth, it's not really food oriented. It's more of a show to get guys to watch. He either tries to get idiots to cook the same dish well every night, or tries to clean up some restaurants. It's no top chef.

boromirbeauty

[7]Nov 14, 2008
    • level: 61
    I really enjoy that head-to-head elimination. I'm glad they brought it back this season. However, I kinda thought that having 17 chefs start off was a waste if they were only going to send one packing after an quickfire. I understand that they couldn't have 17 chefs and still have a head-to-head elimination round, but it still felt like a waste.
    That being said, you knew it had to be one of the salad makers going home. How often have they said that making a salad is not the way to win a competition. I wasn't bothered by who was sent home in either round, as they both deserved it after the "salad round."
    I've gotta say I was impressed with the guy who sliced up his finger (don't remember his name) since he didn't let the injury stand in the way with his finishing the challenge. I'm not sure how I feel about him otherwise, but at that point I was impressed with his actions. Hopefully I'll find someone to root for by next week.

bob07087

[8]Nov 16, 2008
    • level: 19
    I agree a salad for an elimination round is bad. They are looking for what makes you diffrent from the others. Tom said to them make your dish so that it makles us keep you rather than send you home. I come from a family of chefs and they would have scoffed at being presented with a salad as thier best dish. My uncle studied at the Cordon Bleu in Paris and had his own place in Milan Italy.

ebony_kunoichi

[9]Nov 17, 2008
    the challenges were good, but the group is waaaay too nice and touchy feely. I'm like is this a reality show or a 1960;s hippie love fest camp? the crying and the holding hands, good lord.

wingsabre

[10]Nov 22, 2008
    I'd rather have them act nice than act like season 2.

starwolf99

[11]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 12
    Is it me, or does Jeff remind you of Chase from "House"?